1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-RW w/write-once behavior - can't format or erase

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by sharmakay, Dec 14, 2002.

1. sharmakay

sharmakay Guest

Okay... besides the many other things that seem to be going wrong (I have yet to make an actual DVD disk to play in my blasted DVD player... so much for upgrading all my equipment), the latest is that I have the newest Sony drive that's compatible with CD-R/+R, CD-RW/+RW, DVD-R/+R, and DVD-RW/+RW ... in other words, just about everything. I thought that by getting something that supposedly "does it all", I wouldn't have to worry about media. Okay... did I mention I'm dumb?

Anyway, my umpteenth attempt has resulted in tonight's gain of one DVD+R in the garbage can (I feel a 2nd one coming soon), and FOUR DVD-RW's that appear (although I've spent all night long trying to "fix" them) to be the next ones sitting in the garbage can as well.

Upon "burning" to the disks (only had about 25 mins to burn, as these were "just tests", so there's no possibility of the disk not having "enough space"), while it was "finalizing" my write-once, it would error out... right at the beginning of the finalize stage. Of course, I just HAD to try them anyway, so I went ahead and stuck them in the new DVD/VHS, all-in-one, player. Sure enough... didn't work. But hey! No problem, right? These are RWs! REwritable disks. Yeah... did I mention yet that I'm dumb?

Needless to say, the DVD-RW's wouldn't erase either. I tried five different burning programs (kept d/l'ing demos... as I said... been up all night...), and NONE of them would even acknowledge there was a disk in the drive. Tried all of them. Same story with each. I just bought these today. (And just think... I thought I'd SAVE some money by using frigging rewritables... I'd been better off just wasting a couple've DVD+Rs.) There are no scratches or anything. I have searched the internet for anything and everything I could find about this problem, but have found nothing.

Tapes are Memorex, Rewritable DVD-RW, Single Sided, Version 1.1. And of course, the Sony is that new drive (can't remember the model... something like 500 in it... was just released last month).

Ideas? Thoughts? Guesses? Should I just trash the 4 disks and chalk it up to another paycheck in the trash? (I really, really would hate having to do that).

Puhleeeeeez help. :(

(By the way... this msg is actually in two different places... seems I accidentally stuck it in the "general" forum... so like... "have I mentioned yet that I'm dumb"?!)_X_X_X_X_X_[small]SharmaKay[/small]

2. framerman

framerman Regular member

I have had the same exact problem. You should be able to take those rw discs and erase them in nero. That is what I was able to do. Just make sure you do the full erase selection. It will take 45 minutes or so. I hate to say it but I have been having severe troubles with my sony actually burning anything for me. I bought mine in early october and still have not produced an actual dvd I could watch on my dvd player. It always says cannot read or dirty disc. What has worked better for me is I burn my files to an image file in imgtools. From there I use dvd decrypter to burn to the drive. Select the 1x speed helps with playback problems. I would suggest the rw's because you can erase them. r's are coasters. I'm up to about 20 now without a successful one yet. Got 15 or so rw's that can't play on my standalone either.

3. sharmakay

sharmakay Guest

Tried Nero... even "full erase"... but I get the same message: "no disk in drive". :( As for making a successful disk, I bit the bullet and threw away another DVD+R, but only after successfully writing 8 minutes of video to it that, yes, my player will read and run. So I guess that's something. I used "MYDVD" (the bundled version) to do it. I'm still hanging on to the destroyed RWs for a little longer before chucking them in the garbage. So far I've tried Nero, RecordNow, RecordNow Max, Instant CD/DVD, Roxio CD Creator. None of them will "see" the disk. I will say, though, that Instant CD/DVD looks like a promising program to use to write DVDs. It even allowed me to change the channel from my tv tuner; MyDVD did not. As for these disks... is there something I should know regarding "write-once" or "finalizing" with RWs? If written in any way other than "packet" writing, are these types of DVDs no longer useful? If so, what's the point in having a DVD-RW if you can't use them over and over again? I have not yet tried DVD+RW yet, but so far, all the DVD-RWs are soon to be thrown in the garbage unless I can find some program to "see" them so I can reformat them.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2002
  4. framerman

framerman Regular member

Do you have the newest ASPI installed on your computer from Roxio? If not, get it from Roxio's website. The newer version has more supported drives, including the dru-500a.

If so, let's try this. Do you have dvd decrypter? If not go here:

http://www.dvddecrypter.com/

Now, if you open up dvd decrypter, it should tell you if you have a drive ready or not. Click View/Log also, this will tell you if it finds your SCSI/ATAPI drives. If not, go to tool/settings/I/O and click between the interfaces. Try first setting it to aspi-wnaspi32.dll. This is the roxio aspi. If it doesn't come up, you need to install the wnaspi32.dll in your system folder. Make sure the log is still open to see what errors it says. Change your interface to something else and click OK. Then check your log to see what it says. If you go through all of these and nothing, your computer isn't finding your drive. Uninstall the driver in device manager and restart your computer. It should find your drive automatically.

Have you tried burning to an image file? This is the easiest way I have found to burn to a disc. What you do is this: get a dvd movie that has about 4 gb's in the movie. Copy only the main movie files in dvd decrypter (VTS_xx_01,02,03,04.vob). After rip, you should have a folder in c:\ with the name of the movie. Inside there is a folder with VIDEO_TS. Move this folder to the c:\ drive. You need to do this for creating an image file. Start Ifoedit. Down at the bottom of the screen, check the box that says create ifo's. Find the VTS_xx_01.vob of your movie. Destination directory ifo should be checked for same as source. This will create new video_ts.ifo & .bup, and video_01_1.ifo & .bup in your folder. After that, close and reopen ifoedit. Open the video_ts.ifo file and press get vts sectors. This will fix any of the sector problems you have. You may see dialog boxes saying which sectors were fixed. Close and reopen ifoedit again. Do this last step again and make sure that it doesn't change the sectors this time. This will tell you if your files are ready to go. Press disc image. source file is c:\. Image file is where it gets a little tricky. You must put c:\(whatever here).img. Make sure you type in .img or it will save it as a different file extension. You can change this later, but it's easier to do this up front. Volume is your video name in capital letters. Hit create image. It will take a little while. After the image file has been done, open up dvd decrypter. Go to mode\iso\write. Find your .img file, set your speed to what you want (I usually put 1x for minimizing playback problems)and burn, baby, burn! It will take 25 or 30 minutes or so. You have a disc. Some people don't like this method because when you put the disc in the standalone it goes directly to the movie. There are no menus or anything, it just starts. I like it that way personally.

I would also suggest finding someone you know that has a dvd drive and give them one of your rw discs to see if they can see it on their computer and erase it for you.

I would not throw away the rw's. I had the same problem and was about to do the same thing. Rw's should erase. I can't see why it wouldn't at least on another drive.

5. sharmakay

sharmakay Guest

Got as far as making the image file. I keep getting an error message that says IMGLIB.DLL not found. I read somewhere on the site for IFOEDIT.EXE that WinXP is not altogether supported. Also... it's not so much as getting an image file in itself that I'm having problems with (I can do this using a couple've other programs), but being able to write/erase/format/overwrite... whatever you want to call it... to my now seemingly destroyed CD-RW disks. I wrote once to them, during a DVD burn, and now I can no longer access them to do anything, let alone reuse them. I fear that I have to throw them away. I have not found anything that works in regard to erasing them or overwriting them in any way. Perhaps this is a fault in DVD-RWs. I don't know about DVD+RWs. Perhaps it's the drive, rather than the media. I don't know. All I know is that so far, CD-RWs do not allow a second writing in the Sony DRU500 drive.

6. omegaboy

omegaboy Guest

Are you using WinXP ? If you are, you can erase it by right clicking on your DVDRW drive in My Computer, and choose "Erase this CDRW", weird eh? It's not a CDRW, it's a DVDRW. But choose it anyway, and it will erase the dvdrw disc. I don't need any other software that can erase the dvdrw disc, since this step works just fine for me !!! :)

7. sharmakay

sharmakay Guest

I'm using XP Pro. If I right-click on the drive, I get a format option not from Windows, but from the Instant DVD software I installed, which has ONLY worked for the one CD+RW disk I tested. I have four CD-RW disks that I can't get any software to acknowledge since my first and only write. Here's the weird thing: sometimes, if I put in one particular CD-RW disk just after the CD+RW disk, I sometimes (not always) get the same options under the right-click context menu. But after clicking on it to format, it says it can't. The label is "test2", which can't be changed either. Other times, it acts the same way as the other three CD-RWs, in that no software recognizes a disk has been inserted. When I try the right-click context menu, no option is available to format or erase. When I look at "properties", there's zero bytes available and zero bytes free. I don't know why one of the four CD-RWs SOMETIMES shows a label, SOMETIMES shows a format option from the Instant DVD program (even though it doesn't work for this disk), or why it SOMETIMES shows my two video test files that can even be played, whereas most times it not only does not show the files, but it most certainly doesn't play anything. MOST times, all four CD-RW disks result in the same response as if I hadn't inserted them at all. Is it the media? The drive? I don't know. For now, I think I'll toss these, and stick to DVD+RW. Maybe Sony DRU-500A doesn't work well with DVD-RWs. Maybe DVD-RWs really aren't rewritable, although I don't know why they would have the extension RW if they weren't. I just don't know.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2002
  8. framerman

framerman Regular member

sharmakay:

The imglib.dll is required by imgtools to make the image file. I assume that you couldn't make the file. I have other programs that also make the image file, like nero, but it is in an unsupported format for dvd decrypter. This is why I stick with imgtools. Now the problem I was having with my Sony DRU-500 was that some of the dvd's I own were not being read by the drive. No matter what I did, it said no disc in drive, 0 bytes, etc. Finally, it dawned on me that the discs I was putting in were double sided dvd's. One side had widescreen, the other had standard screen. This was my only assumption, that it was the discs. Ever since I have had no problems except for these type discs. I also have blank cd's that have no label on it, and have the damndest time with these also.

I run winxp home and it works fine with ifoedit. I would say uninstall the instant dvd and install roxio aspi driver. This will make the computer use the roxio program to format, erase, etc.

I'm guessing it's your media. Try something well known, like verbatim, for a dvd disc. I use only +rw's but I don't think it really matters one bit. The clear double sided discs were driving me nuts for about a month. I too though it was the drive. I called Sony, explained everything, wasn't happy with their response, stuck to the drive and figured it was these discs. I hope your drive is OK so you don't have to send it to the factory for fixing.

9. sharmakay

sharmakay Guest

I almost have to laugh. Roxio was the first program I tried to erase/format -- of course... it didn't work... which is why I started trying other programs. I like the Instant DVD because it's is the only program relatively affordable that will input data stream directly from my ATI TV card. The bundled Sonic MyDVD will also data stream from the card, but only from channel 4... there's no way to change the channel. (I just hate this crap). So, I at least have a program now that will record directly from TV. Smartripper seems thus far the easiest ripping program. Even a moron like me can run it. I'm experimenting with several other programs like DVD2SVCD, etc., but it appears those programs require a supplemental program purchase of more than 50 bucks. Here's the kicker... by the time I finish buying all these stupid, cheap software programs, I could've saved my money and bought one really expensive one. I keep thinking, "okay... THIS one will work..." and sure enough... it does, but only one part of the entire ripping/copying/writing process. Did I mention this is a bunch of frigging crap?! And to top it all off, I have these stinking "rewritable" disks that don't rewrite. Ya know... the more I think about it... the more I'm getting frigging ticked off. *sigh* Okay... second wind for the umpteenth time. I have three things I want to do. Copy my DVD disks, make DVD disks from TV or Camcorder, and create duplicate VOB files smaller than the original so I can fit four or more hours of movie time on one DVD -- plus, don't forget about making chapters and menus for all. So far... it's been more than a mere nuisance, and my pocket book is dwindling down to nothing. I wouldn't mind this so much, except I still have nothing to show for it. However, I DID actually make a copy of my first DVD today, (without menus... gotta get that one down), using Smartripper and Roxio's data writer to basically copy all the files I ripped from the original DVD to a DVD+RW. (Don't understand why you have to "rip" the files instead of just copying them... but... who am I to question?) And I have yet to see if I can "rewrite" or "format" the DVD+RW I just made this morning. (Right now I'm ripping a "backup" of the same DVD instead of just the "primary" files... gonna see how that works... maybe see if I can fit everything including subtitles and chapters). ... okay... looks like I was able to erase the DVD+RW, so I'll stick to those, and forget about DVD-RW. Also... can't fit "chapter selection" screen on DVD. Still have to find a way to squash VOB files. Quicktime writes them, but haven't learned anything about it yet. Saw some place on the net where you could squash VOBs, so will have to run a search for that again.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2002
  10. framerman

framerman Regular member

Okay, well. Um anyway. If you have a dvd disc that is already under 4.36 GB's then you can copy it directly in ISO mode. I'm not sure if SmartRipper does this, but I know dvd decrypter definitely does. Now there are three main programs I've seen for encoding movies, but a word of caution and advice. I would get the copying thing down first. Do the smaller (under 4.36 GB movies) before you even attempt to do this. I have given you fair warning. If you think it was tough before, you're in for misery. Oh, the three programs are TMPGEnc, ReMpeg, and CCE. Also you'll need DVD2AVI. I believe the first two you can get here:

http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/software2.htm

also a fourth is bbMPEG. Never tried it so I can't say. CCE is a very expensive program, but very fast. It's like $2000. You can get a version at the downloads above, but it puts a logo on your screen.

Now the reason you have to "rip" the files is because there is macrovision on each dvd to prevent copying. If you don't it'll never work. The other thing is that the way I described to you how I did it, doesn't create menus. I can't figure that crap out either. But stick with it. One day I checked a thread, and holy crap, everything fell into place! I've burned about a hundred now, but only the small sized movies. I am just figuring out how to do the reencoding junk and have finally figured out how to do just step one today. I'll try to help out as you go.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2002
  11. sharmakay

sharmakay Guest

Yup... actually have downloaded all those programs. Haven't used any of them yet, except bbMPEG. It works, just incredibly slow. I ripped one movie from 6 DVD's last Friday, and since I want to edit the "parts" (12 parts total - 2 per disk), combine into one to three files (depending on compression results), compress the files to fit on preferably two, but more than likely four disks. Then, chapters and menus for all. My PC has been running bbMPEG for all 12 parts, converting from VOB to MV1, since last Friday, and I'd suspect there's about another 24-36 hours left before completion. I tried ripping into MPG format using SmartRipper, but it does MV2, and doesn't include the AC3 audio into the MV2 stream; so, when you run the MV2 or MPG file in any program, you have video, but no audio. I don't know how to rip directly into an MV1, MV2, or MPG stream that includes audio, and I'm not sure what the difference is in file formation among MV1, MV2, or MPG. In any case, because I can't figure out a way to rip directly into an MPG format, I'm left with using bbMPEG to convert, which again, takes an extraordinarly long time to do so (about 12 hours computing time for 2 hr movie time). Once this conversion is completed, I need to find a program that can not only edit the files (MyDVD will do this, but this step only), but to combine parts, split parts, and allow me to create chapters and menus for each disk. Not to mention the conversion to a smaller file. I'm hoping I won't have to reconvert the VOB files using bbMPEG again, and I'm saying this because I noticed certain file information and am not sure if there are settings available, or if I'm supposed to use them, to change the bit rate or aspect ratio during the first conversion. I'm hoping I can simply do this first conversion, edit everything and make one big, beautiful file, and then use some kind of program for final splitting, chapters, and size conversion. But again... I haven't go to that part yet. I guess we're learning together on this one. Oh... I did look at CCE, and yes... the cost is way too much for me, and I hate logos. After spending time to do these things, the last thing I want is something that hogs my picture. I've already used TMPGEnc, but am not sure it's a necessity yet... ReMPEG I think will do the size conversions... I think... and I dont' know about DVD2AVI. I've downloaded it, but can't think right off the top of my head as to why. I know there's something about AVI formats, but don't know yet why I'd use them, particularly since I'm still learning the basic formats, and don't even know the difference between MV1, MV2, and MPEG yet. I selected MPEG1 for file conversion in bbMPEG, but the file extension is actually MV1. The kicker is, MyDVD looks for AVI and MPG files... not MV1 or MV2. I do know, however, that I will never buy another DVD-RW disk. All that I've bought are completely ruined, as I was only able to write once on them. DVD+RW seems to work fine. Will find out for sure when I go to write DVD to it. The oddity is I can packet write to the disk... so how is it "blank"? It obviously has been formatted for packet writing. I'm not sure if MyDVD will acknowledge it as a "blank" disk now. But then, I'm not all too fond of MyDVD... it was free, and the price is good for the quality... but the benefits of upgrading is so vague that I fear even if I did upgrade, I wouldn't be able to do what I want to do, and the upgrade is anywhere from a measly $60 for nothing to $500 for something that "could" work. There was a referral to a program in one of the forums here that seemed really nice, but I can't for the life of me remember the name. I have it printed at home. Similar to MyDVD in the sense that you could edit MPEG's, but it also has the capability of entering chapters whereever you want them. I think it's about a $300 program. As for professional looking menus, I think this is a small detail compared to the rest of the stuff, and pretty easy to do. More than 5 mins, but definately a lot easier. Will keep you posted as to what I'm doing and how it works. Perhaps our combined notes and efforts will make it a lot easier for each other. Sorry for the book...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2002
  12. sharmakay

sharmakay Guest

{website having trouble posting reply and entered it twice. no way to delete second posting}

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2002
  13. framerman

framerman Regular member

The dvd2avi program is for entering information into your ReMpeg and TMPGEnc. Instead of entering a video file, it enters a d2v file. It has information from the vob files. I believe it does something like frameserving. It helps your program work faster on encoding.

When your files are too big to fit on a dvd, you need to reencode the video. That is why you get the m2v file. This is a mpeg stream, video only. You should also get an ac3 file for remuxing. dvd2avi gives you a d2v file and ac3 file. You reencode the video, then import it into something like ifoedit to reauthor. At this authoring stage is when you import chapters and subtitles also.

Both ReMpeg and TMPGEnc are going to take quite awhile to reencode. Even cce takes some time, but not as much if you have it set up right. That's why I was saying to get the dvd-5 movie backup process set first. That way you at least are on step one and know how to do it. Save the bigger movies for later.

14. sharmakay

sharmakay Guest

way past that now... am working on converting from PAL to NTSC (so much for buying a US out-of-print movie from UK).

And DVD2AVI never has worked very well for me. I think quality is lost when you convert to AVI. I've been trying to stick to the M2V, and as little conversion as problem... you know the saying about a copy of a copy of a copy...