1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-RW WONT ERASE/REFORMAT

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by tdfuller, Jan 15, 2004.

1. tdfuller

tdfuller Member

Alright, this is odd, I have two identical Sony DVD-RW rewriteables. One works great, no probs, reformats, erases, etc. The other. Nothing! Can't get Windows XP Pro to even recognize its in the drive. Nor will Nero 6 nor Easy CD Creator recognize it. Neither will perform a quick erase for me. I have used the disc for several backup burns of DVDs using DVD X Copy XPress, but not, like I said, nothing.

I refuse to believe this disc can simply just go bad. Any suggestions on how to get it erased/reformatted so XP, NERO, etc will recognize it?

2. Nuke

Nuke Member

Have you tried a full erase instead of quick erase. If i'm correct, quick erase just erases the header that lists the files on the disk but leaves the files to be written over, full erase should burn the whole disk clean.

3. six.6.six

six.6.six Regular member

I had a Sony/RW go bad a while ago, wrote to it probily 5 times and couldnt write to it anymore. The layer you write to is organic alot can happen to it

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

It's not uncommon for RWs to crap out after only a few writes.

5. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

Ahh, this just happened to me, 2 discs, one stuffed, answers my question without having to ask it, beautiful said the lazy man.

Bailey

6. tdfuller

tdfuller Member

Well, 4 of you have replied so far, and 3 of those say that the disc probably konked out.

Nuke, I did try the FULL ERASE option but that option is actually greyed out so I cant even click on it.

Thank you for your replies. Send anymore suggestions my way please.