1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd-rw write protection

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by likekinds, Jun 25, 2011.

1. likekinds

likekinds Member

I just joined AfterDawn, and this is my first post here. I just read a thread titled:

Burning copy protected DVDs

It was the most comprehensive article Ive ever seen on the subject. My issue is somewhat related. After days of fruitless research; I hope someone here can help me.

Ive had my PC for 4 years. During that time I have always used the same brand DVD-RW disk. I was able to burn a video to these disks. If I wanted; I could erase the disk and reuse it for another video or for a live data disk on which I could add, delete or modify files.

Now, my DVD drive doesn't want to play most of these DVDs. They will play in my CD drive (same computer).

I have tried to erase these DVDs with 7 different erasing software. I get all kinds of errors. Everything from Blank No media inserted Incompatible media etc.

When I used the built in computer software; there is no erase option for the disks in question. There is an option to format. When I try to format; Im told the disk is Write Protected, and it will not format the disk.

I have never had this problem til recently. I have a lot of DVD-RWs that I can no longer reuse. If anyone knows how I can erase and/or reformat these disks; I would appreciate their input.

More importantly, so this doesnt continue to happen; I would like to know How Do These DVDs Get To Be Write Protected In The First Place??? Im using the same optical drive, the same brand and type disk, and as far as I know; my procedure for burning these disks has not changed in any way.

Ill be glad to provide more information or any specs that might help.

Thanks

2. attar

attar Senior member

Can you burn regular DVD-R disks ok?

If you have ImgBurn installed, run ImgBurn and click 'Write files/folders to disc'.
    Insert a DVD-RW disk.
    'Tools' > Drive > Erase disc > Quick or Full.

In either case, you can find the results under the 'Help' menu item - ImgBurn logs..

3. likekinds

likekinds Member

Yes, I can burn (and then play) regular DVD-R.

imgBurn was one of the programs I used to try to erase these disks. I got this error:

I/O Error!

Device: (0:2:0) SONY DVD+-R AW-Q160S KDS1 (F:) (ATAPI)

ScsStatus: 0x02
    Interpretation: Check Condition

CDB: A1 11 oo 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
    Interpretation: Blank

Sense Area: 70 00 02 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 3A 00 00 00 00 00
    Interpretation: Medium Not Present

===========

Apparently; I will not be able to erase these disks. Can someone please tell me how these disks become 'write protected'. The files on these disks are my own material and I have not indicated with any settings that I wanted the disk to be write protected!

4. attar

attar Senior member

Tools > Filter driver load order..
    Save a jpeg of the screen and post it at the ImgBurn Forum.

5. likekinds

likekinds Member

Tools? Where?

6. attar

attar Senior member

Imgburn.

7. likekinds

likekinds Member

OK Thanks. imgBurn shows no Filter driver load order because Upper Device Filter, Upper Class Filter, Lower Class Filter and Lower Device Filter were not found.

8. attar

attar Senior member

Tools > Drive > Check for firmware updates to see if ones available.

9. likekinds

likekinds Member

I checked for firmware updates and found one was available. I had kds1. Now I have kds3. The new update made no difference, except the imgBurn error was slightly different.

I/O Error!

CDB
    Interpretation: Read Format Capacities

Sense Area
    Interpretation: Logical Unit is in the process of becoming ready

===

I decided I will trash all these DVDs. Now, when I try to reformat them; Windows says there's no disk in the drive.

I started with a new DVD-RW to see what would happen. I tried to make a live session backup disk of my pictures. I tried 4 times to format the new disk. Each time, Windows could not complete the format.

As a test; I got out one of my music DVD-RW live session backup disks, I burned a year ago. No problems. I can read, write to, or modify the files on the disk any way I want to.

This optical drive has been used very little. about 10 live data disks and maybe 10 DVD videos. Could it be that I need a new drive?

10. attar

attar Senior member

Only if you intend to keep using RW disks.
    I use them to burn recorded TV - watch once then erase - but I do have problems erasing them.
    I don't know of any manufacturer that makes RW disks that can be relied on.
    I never put anything on them intending long term storage because I know they are not reliable media.

11. likekinds

likekinds Member

I really appreciate all your information and help. I've learned quite a bit here. It's just so hard to accept that these disks and how I used them worked so well, before, and now they don't.

Before I close this thread; I am still curious about what thoughts you might have as to how some of these disks became write protected, and why Windows fails to format new disks.

Thank you, attar

12. attar

attar Senior member

Are you using XP or W7.

I know that XP cannot format/write DVD's - it requires a third party app to do that.
    If it's W7 then I would assume it's the burner - because it's really up to the burner to acknowledge the disk - the software merely passes the data.
    If you can get another brand (the ones I use just know are DVD-RW Staples (with an OPTODISCW004 id, I also have DVD-RW Maxell which are OPTODISCW002) or even a DVD+RW (I have PHILIPS-041-00) to test .

13. likekinds

likekinds Member

Thanks, but I'm using Vista Home Premium.

14. attar

attar Senior member

15. likekinds

likekinds Member

Can I post this entire thread there? If I can; how would I do it?

16. attar

attar Senior member

Just copy and paste the ImgBurn logs with a short description of the problem and mention that you have the latest firmware installed.