1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-RW

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by davecabez, Feb 21, 2005.

1. davecabez

davecabez Member

Hi M8s,
    Not sure if this is correct forum or not but here goes. Anyone know of any software which will read DVD-RW discs recorded in VR mode which will run in windows XP Pro.

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Any DVD playing software as long as the disk was Finalized. I am assuming these disk's were made with a personal stand alone DVD player? So you just need to make sure the disk is finalized with that DVD recorder.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  3. davecabez

davecabez Member

Cheers Bmayo,
    But I am lead to believe that XP will not recognise DVD-RW format. I also want to load the DVD-RW VR files to HDD and then edit and re-author fo copyto a DVD-R disc. Not many progs. will seemingly run in XP.

4. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Its not XP that would be the problem. It is all up to your DVD ROM and what format it supports. XP will read VR recorded RW disks just fine as long as they are finalized and you have some sort of DVD playing sofware on your PC. Now editing is a whole other issue all together, and Im not sure there if there is a proggy out there that will edit a VR recorded DVD? What you can do is record those disks in video mode instead of VR though and then I know you can rip it to the HD and edit it.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2005
  5. davecabez

davecabez Member

Cheers BBMayo,
    I will contact Microsoft to see if they will confirm that XP will read DVD-RW VR discs.

6. forkndave

forkndave Member

If you want to edit VR discs try TMPGEnc DVD Author. I know it works with DVD-RAM discs. It will also convert to standard DVD format so you can copy to a normal DVD+/-R. What I've done myself is convert it with TMPGEnc DVD Author and then edit with DVD Shrink. It worked for me, anyhow. I am assuming the VR format that RW discs use is similar to what DVD recorders (Panasonic) use with RAM discs.

7. davecabez

davecabez Member

Cheers Forkndave,
    Are you using XP on your computer? seemingly that is the problem, I have been told that XP does not recognise DVD-RW in VR format and also that most of the software that does has problems running under XP.
    Any further help would be appreciated

8. forkndave

forkndave Member

Yes, I have Windows XP. I have SP 2 which causes some people trouble, but not me fortunately. I am not quite sure what you mean by Windows XP doesn't read the VR format. I use Power DVD for a DVD player and it recognizes the VR format fine. DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter don't, however. That's why I have to use TMPGEnc DVD Author to convert to a standard DVD format. You can download a 30 day trial version of TMPGEnc here: http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tda.html . It requires Windows 2000 or XP and NTFS file system.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  9. davecabez

davecabez Member

Thanks very much for your help.
    Regards
    Dave