1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Santa Crashes

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by IanV, Nov 11, 2004.

1. IanV

IanV Member

DVD Santa was working great for me, but now when I try to transcode a video from avi to dvd it crashes and says that Microsoft has encountered a poblem with DVD Santa. It did this intermittently, but now all the time

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi IanV, welcome to aD,

You don't say what your PC's specs are -

Encoding and burning are the most labor intensive things your Processor does. It goes to 100% usage when performing those tasks. If you touch your PC, even try to open an Internet page it can say, "Hey, I've had enough." and close down.'"touch not the working giant." and, if you're lucky, it will work without a "Crash."

Cheers,

Pete

3. IanV

IanV Member

Dell 4550,60 gig HD,Pent 4 3.2 Ghz, Ati radeon 9500,HP420i 8xDVD
    I can encode and burn with nero vision express 2. But DVD santa semmed alot quicker. I have 30 gig of HD spave avail.
    Also whether using nero or santa downloaded movies of approx. 1.4 gig which I think are AC3 when encoded for my DVD player are crackily in sound and don't play back in AC3. I have the 1.05 AC3 filter installed. 700mb downloads encode fine but are not in AC3 which is what I expected, sound is perfect. I don't now if I need to adjust the AC3 filter but that guide floating around is pretty crappy.

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

IanV,

So sorry, I'm not sure I understand you -

AC3 - Dolby Digital (AC-3) is Dolby's third generation audio coding algorithm. It is a perceptual coding algorithm developed to allow the use of lower data rates with a minimum of perceived degration of sound quality.

This coder has been designed to take maximum advantage of human auditory masking in that it divides the audio spectrum of each channel into narrow frequency bands of different sizes optimized with respect to the frequency selectivity of human hearing. This makes it possible to sharply filter coding noise so that it is forced to stay very close in frequency to the frequency components of the audio signal being coded. By reducing or eliminating coding noise wherever there are no audio signals to mask it, the sound quality of the original signal can be subjectively preserved. In this key respect, a coding system like AC-3 is essentially a form of very selective and powerful noise reduction.

In the consumer electronics industry the Dolby Digital soundtrack can be found as the standard audio track on Digital Versatile Discs (DVD), is the standard audio format for High Definition Television (HDTV), and is being used for digital cable and satellite transmissions.

I would select the AC3 Audio file as it is stereo file and will sound fine on oridanary Home thearter system.

As for whatever you're asking, I haven't a clue -

Cheers,