1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd scratch repair

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by p5yco, Feb 10, 2005.

1. p5yco

p5yco Guest

hi, id just like to recomend a gadget which i have recently used. its wipeout cd repair kit, it can repair badly scratched dvds and bring them back to working condition again, its great no more skipping or freezing on those prized dvds.

2. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

thanx for your post pSycho - now has anybody used the other affordable scratch repair kits or machines and what were your opininions of them ? How efficient were they how many disc have they repaired and where do you get the accesories pads/solutions or whatever they use up ! And where they effective on deeper scrathes! I know the best plan is not to get scratched disc in the 1st place but hey life accidents & kids happen so sometimes you need to help things along! thanks Psycho & all my friends -peace & happy burning!

3. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I've used the disc doctor and have mixed feelings on it. It did pretty good on deeper scratches like ones that caused CDs to skip (haven't tried on a movie yet), but sometimes it also puts scratches in, causing parts that didn't skip before to skip.

I have a friend that uses car polish and says it works pretty well. He's a car detailer and stole some industrial strength stuff that you can't get at stores, so I don't know how well the regular turtle wax will work.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2005
  4. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

thanx for the info squizzle ! Good luck & happy burning @ peace

5. YOBUZZB

YOBUZZB Regular member

I use the SkipDr. This has been a great tool for me! It has the electric motor. Spray on the solution, turn it on, and a 2-3 turns later...a readable, playable cd or dvd. Hasn't failed me yet!
    The damage to disc have not been bad so they're easily repaired, but a friend brought some badly scratched cd's over and it performed beautifully. All the accessories are provided. The buffing pad, special cloth and solution. You can purchase more but unless you're repair a large number of disc all the time, it's not necessary.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2005
  6. baabaa

baabaa Active member

I look after my originals..................
    When my backups get badly scratched, I just process the original again.................... ;-)

7. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

dear friends
    Thanx for all the feedback on my question, you're all the greatest! A#1's in my book thanx ! has anyone used the OptiFix Pro-ET Motorized CD & DVD Clean/Repair Kit made by Memorex and what do you think about it if you have used it? Thanks everyone - Peace & happy burning

Last edited: Jun 15, 2005
  8. bruceb3

bruceb3 Member

I've tried a few of the mechanical fixes and didn't have very good results. An old guy that I buy sleeves from at the computer shows turned me on to a product from Fellowes, (the office supply company.) It's called "CD Scratch Repair Kit" (go figure...). It's in a double thickness cd jewel case and cost about $5.-. It's got 8 "treatments" in the case. Each treatment is 2 foil packets. The red packet is "cd repair" and the pink one is "cd prevent". You rub the surface firmly for 60 seconds with the repair pad, wipe clean and then rub with the prevent pad for 30 seconds. I had a bad scratch in my Windows XP Pro disk and it wouldn't install successfully. I think the repair pad has some type of solvent that softens the surface and the other pad neutralizes the first chemical. At least that's my theory. I had to use the first pad for 2 or 3 minutes, but when I was done the disk looked perfectly smooth! (and installed successfully). I've successfully treated 3 dvd's that were pretty badly damaged, too. It's a whole lot cheaper than the "machines", too. Well, that's my 2 cents worth... :)

9. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

bruceb3- thank you for the information I will look for this product and see what's up - for myself for dvd's and for my grandson for his PS-2 games ! sounds like a good deal to me . He - the grandson had a PS-2 disc GTA san andreas that got a bad scratch and would'nt load or would'nt completely load anyways and we took it to a game store near where he lives and they have a machine which I'm guessing cost more than my dvd & cd collections together and $3.00 and 5 minutes later the San Andreas GTA game looked new and works great ! I would try this solution but I don't live in the same area and don't know if they have a store here that resurfaces disc ! but I will try your idea assuming I can find the product ! Besides the machine at that store sounds like a Dentist drill -wrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!! again thanks bruceb3 my friend - Peace & happy burning!!!!!