1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Screen Capture

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by poodull, Jan 19, 2003.

1. poodull

poodull Member

Anybody know of some software that allows me to take snapshots of a dvd in high resolution? I've tried PowerDVD and its really bad resolution.

The idea is to take snapshots of movies and print out posters on my companie's ultra expensive color plotter :)

2. -LD

-LD Member

i haven't had any resolution problems with powerdvd and photoshop

3. poodull

poodull Member

Well, what kind of resolution were you getting? and what did you use photoshop for?

Im using powerdvd 3.0 and screen capture is much worse resolution than just hitting the print screen button.

I tried using their camera icon and pasting the clipboard image to photoshop and got the same result as when i use mspaint.

Anyone else have a better solution?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2003
  4. hundrakg

hundrakg Guest

hello,,,,sure u dont have a bad monitor or something wrong with your power-dvd...
    i always use power-dvd and the images are supernice,,the resolution:720X576......
    and the quality is outstanding......
    i have windows xp,,,dont sure if thats make any different??

5. poodull

poodull Member

No, im certain. its actually a pretty nice machine and card, on xp. are you using the camera button on powerdvd or something else?

Anyway, there's got to be a better resolution out there. 720 isn't very high.. shouldn't dvd be able to hit hdtv resolution of 1024?

dull

6. advancement

advancement Member

Last edited: Jan 15, 2006
  7. drchips

drchips Active member

Hi guys,

you have to bear in mind the resolution of DVD, 720 x 576 for PAL and 720 x 480 for NTSC, those are the BEST you will get, anything bigger than that is software interpolation.

Yeah, I know some of you will say that you run Power DVD at 1024 x 768 fullscreen (or 1280 x 1024 like me - 24 inch widescreen Sun monitor).

ANYTHING bigger than the source resolution IS interpolated, FACT.....

You CANNOT CAPTURE at higher than the source definition (but you can capture a larger interpolated image).

With good editing software and LOTS of skill, you can get a larger image FROM the captured image that doesn't look too bad - but wish as hard as you like, you will not get detail that is not in the source, FACT...

Talk to any image professional (photographer etc) and they will confirm this.

Using Power DVD it is possible to capture the CURRENT SCREEN (e.g. 1280 x 1024) to a BMP file, it will hold what you see (interpolated image, remember):

Run Power DVD with the film you want to capture from,
    pause at the frame you want (when in fullscreen mode),
    open configuration (CTRL-C),
    on the General Tab click Advanced;
    in the Advanced Options window select the Capture Tab,
    select Capture to File,
    select Current video window size,
    then OK, OK, take your snapshot:

Voila! fullscreen BMP capture to a file.

It will be exactly what you see on screen, what you do with it after that is up to you.

Have Fun...

8. advancement

advancement Member

Last edited: Jan 15, 2006