1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink 3.0 questions

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by JenOU, Nov 28, 2003.

1. JenOU

JenOU Member

Hi, I have two questions regarding DVD Shrink 3.0:

1. How do I actually compress the movie itself? The guide reads, "For most people, compression at levels 5-6 is perfectly acceptable, but if the quality drops below that to, let's say, levels 8 or 9, the quality becomes pretty poor." but does not explain HOW to compress at these levels.

The visual image shows that under "Streams" and the subcategory of Video, there are Levels to select from. On my screen, though, under "Streams" and "Video," all I have is: No Compression, Automatic, Still Pictures, and Ratio.

2. Is there a button that automatically creates a VIDEO_TS folder? Someone mentioned something about "re-author" mode, but I couldn't find it.

Would appreciate any help - thanks a bunch!

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi JenOU,
    I would go into windows explorer, and make a folder. My hard drive is partitioned so I use the partition with the most room. I made a folder called DVD Work and then a subfolder with the name of the project I'm working on. A VIDEO_TS folder is also fine. I put my Shrink files in there. Shrink does the compression for you, your job basiclly is to remove and edit things so the compression is minimized. You can then select different portions to compress using the "ratio" button. Re-author button: When you open Shrink you will see the buttons across the top of the Shrink window, the re-author button is 5th from the left. I don't know what guides you are using, so heres a link to the ones I like.

http://www.dvdshrink.info/guides.php
    http://www.chrismccann.co.uk
    good luck :D
    Frank

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

fasfrank,
    Really like that idea about creating a folder and calling it DVD Work - I'm a-goin'ta try it -

Ooooppppss, it seems that I already have a folder like that -

Thanks for the compliment Frank -
    "P"

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

You're welcome, Pete. Im always on the lookout for little hints and tricks and always seem to find em at your posts! I've gotten pretty good with the DVDs but my computer skills need work. If you were to look at my windows explorer you would laugh. I have got programs and other junk scattered everywhere! I would put all my video programs in one partition if I knew how to make the partitions. LOL,
    Frank

5. Buik

Buik Regular member

JenOU, Are you using DVD Shrink 3.0 beta 5?. If so, use the guide sparingly. It is for an earlier version of DVD shrink. It still has good info in it.

Question 1. Once you decide what you want to "back-up", DVD shrink do it automatically. You have to decide waht you want to keep from the movie. To re-author the movie , click on the "Re-author" icon on the tool bar. That will create a new window similar to the first one. Drag that window over to one side of the screen so that you can do a "drag & drop" operation. Select the files you want from the first window & drop on the re-author window. Usually this will be Title 1 from the main movie folder. Sometimes there are two titles. One full screen & the other wide screen. pick which one you want in that case. Might have to open another re-author screen in that case. Once you have selected the movie file you want to use (reauthor mode) decide what audio you want to keep. I don't speak French or Spanish. I don't need those files. Without those files, the VIDEO quality is increased.

Question 2. Once you click on the "Back-up: icon in the tool bar, it should create a new folder. Just make sure of the folder's destination so that you can find it when it comes time to burn it onto a DVD. I Like Clone DVD myself.

6. JenOU

JenOU Member

Thanks a bunch!! I downloaded Shrink 2.3, which applied perfectly to the guide, and have been using reauthor mode.

Jen

7. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

JenOU,
    So glad you like DVD Shrink 2.3. The newer version, 3.0 Beta 5, has some nice additions, is faster and as fasfrank wrote you, has a super step by step guide which will allow you to take your DVD's and put them on 2 CD's - WOW, What a savings in $$$$$$$$$ (and is fun to boot) - here is the link for the new guy and the guide -
    http://www.chrismccann.co.uk/user_guides.htm
    "P"_X_X_X_X_X_[small] The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.80GHz, 1GB RAM.
    340GB HD, 7200 (Maxtor 120, Western 200 & 20.
    3 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, HP DVD Writer 200j,
    Nec 4X DVD RW ND-1300A.
    GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP sp1.
    [/small]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2003
  8. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Hi all. :)

I'm not sure what guide you were refering to, Buik, but DVDShrink.info contains guides for both versions (including some advanced features).
    I usually recommend viewing the v2.3 guides first when not familiar with DVD Shrink at all. ;)

9. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi ddlooping,
    Those guides are easy to follow, fun (I even downloaded wink) and up to date. Can you do one for TMPGEnc reauthor or whatever its called? The trouble with programs like Shrink is that when I try and use something like TMPGEnc and get a bitrate error, I just run back to Shrink. (I just wanted a menu!) Im waiting for Recode, any news?
    Frank

10. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Hello fasfrank,

Thanks for the positive feedback. :)
    I'm affraid I do not intend to add guides for TMPGEnc (or other re-encoders/transcoders).
    It is [bold]DVDShrink[/bold].info after all. ;)
    But other guides are in the pipeline: DVDStripper, MenuEdit, AutoShrinkISO...

As far as Nero Recode is concerned, I only know what has been officially said, that it's due sometime in December.
    But aren't you waiting for the next DVD Shrink release? :D

11. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi again ddl,I am looking forward to it, Hey how about a guide for Wink? That would be interesting and actually Im surprised the tutorial didn't use the program it was trying to explain! LOL
    Frank

12. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Nah, I have to draw the line somewhere, or I'd spend my days making guides. :)
    Are you sure a Wink tutorial made with Wink is not available?
    I thought there was one.__X_X_X_X_X_[small]~ ddlooping~ [​IMG]
    For DVD Shrink and related softwares guides and downloads, please visit http://www.dvdshrink.info[/small]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2003
  13. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

14. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi guys, I played a little with Nero Recode last night. Its version 0.9.7.0. I don't know if there is another newer one out this week or not. Its similar to Shrink, but doesn't decrypt. I used Anydvd behind it and it was still ripping 1hr 20min when I had to go somewhere, so I shut it down. The test movie was SW attack of the clones which is very long. But Clonedvd rips it in 52min on my system. I'll keep checking Nero's site for an update and let you know. Jerry

15. Buik

Buik Regular member

TO: ddlooping

Sorry, I was refering to a guide I viewed on "Afterdawn" shortly after downloading 3.0 Beta 5. The guide on the Afterdawn website at the time was for an earlier version of DVD shrink.

Sorry I did not make myself clear.

16. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

No problem, Buik, I was just being curious. :)

17. Buik

Buik Regular member

Keep on being curious. None of us are perfect. I have no qualms about my less than perfect actions/comments/etc being pointed out.

I like beer.

18. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

frank, jerry, dd –

Hi guys,

Thinkin' that the older guide for DVDShrink ver 2.3 is maybe more-better for the newer guys. They can go to the site I left and play with the beta re-author guide later, it's spelled out simply enough for even the newest neighbor on the block.

I like the way the Beta 5 operates, it seems faster and with fewer steps than before. I just finished backing up Bruce Almighty with no problems at all - DVD X Copy Xpress ver 3.2.1 gave me nothing but trouble. I worked all afternoon trying to get Xpress to run correctly, even on landline with tech support - My baby Shrink backed it up IN FULL in 34 minutes, the only thing removed was the warning tag -
    It's got my vote -
    "P"

19. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

I'm glad to hear it, ScubaPete. :)