1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink 3.1.4 I/O Device Error ???

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Amadeus74, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Amadeus74

Amadeus74 Member

Hello everyone,

I have been using DVD Shrink 2.3 for several months now and the program has worked flawlessly for me. Earlier today I decided to upgrade to the latest version . . . (3.1.4) . . . so I uninstalled the 2.3 version and then downloaded and installed the new 3.1.4 version.

However, now when I select "Backup" on 3.1.4 to copy the files of any DVD video into a temporary folder on my 200gb hard drive, I get the following error message:

"DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue. Copy protection error. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."

How can I resolve this? Perhaps I should go back and just stick with version 2.3. Can anybody offer assistance? Thanks . . .

Amadeus74

2. Discmania

Discmania Active member

If you go into settings you will see options under 'Fil;e I/O' - select the first option but leave the second clear. Also in 'output files' make sure the top four options are selected but leave the bottom one clear. Try again.

3. jaydee123

jaydee123 Member

I too am having the same problem & tried the setting you suggested & I still have the same problem.

4. Amadeus74

Amadeus74 Member

Thanks Discmania for your tip.

I did as you suggested and initially, it did not work. However, when I went back to the File I/O tab under Edit>Preferences, I subsequently unchecked the third line, "Enable burning with Nero." After doing that, the encoding process proceeded normally without a hitch.

After the encoding process was completed and copied to a folder on my hard drive, I closed out DVD Shrink, took the source DVD out of my DVD burner, inserted a blank DVD in its place, launched Nero Express, and began the burn process.

So . . . am I correct in thinking that one of the extra features of 3.1.4 over the older 2.3 version is that the DVD Shrink process and the Nero burning process can both be initiated at the start . . . provided of course you have two DVD drives . . . one to play the source DVD and the other to burn the "new" DVD? If so, nice feature . . . but I only have one DVD drive, so I can't take advantage of that. If I have this supposition wrong, please correct me. Again, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Amadeus74

5. jaydee123

jaydee123 Member

Discmania, are you saying the only thing you should have checked is in preferrences in File i/o is "Enable overlapped I/O" ????? as there are 4 settings.
    Thing what am I suppose to do & how. Please give step by step if at all possible. How do I burn with this software?????
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Dave

Here is my System INfo:
    Asus P4PE MoBo,533FSB,2.4 iTEL,512mb PC2700,ATI 8500LE 128mb,ATI TV Wonder Pro R/C,Teac CD-W58E,PLEXTOR PX-708A,Western Digital Cav.SE 80 GiG w/8mb data buffer,this custom made system is running on WinXP.[/small]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2004
  6. Discmania

Discmania Active member

You must check ALL options. Most of them are self-explanatory and most are selected by default. For example Shrink will automatically burn when it detects nero is installed and the drive is ready. If you don't want Nero to burn the disc then uncheck this option. The 'File I/O' options just allow for better input/output of data which may result in better ripping speeds but it is up to you to test this for yourself. There are only two options for 'File I/O' - the second should be left blank. The burn options below this should both be checked if you want to burn with Nero.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2004
  7. jaydee123

jaydee123 Member

Discmania, I have Nero installed version 5.5.10.54 & unless I have both burn options unchecked I still get the same error, but then how do I burn them as I just can't seem to figure it out.I have rip the files to the hard drive & the way I think it should work is not so as it DVD Shrink wants to erease the ripped files.

8. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Are you saying you don't get the error when the burning options are turned off? You don't have to use the auto burning option. Instead you can just drag the files into Nero and burn that way. How does Shrink want to erase the files?

9. jaydee123

jaydee123 Member

Discmania, yes that right I don't get the error when I turn both burn media options off, do a need a newer version of Nero to have these enabled???but when I try to use dvd shrink to burn it wants to erase the rip files on my hard drive before preceeding, so I must be doing something wrong.

10. Discmania

Discmania Active member

It should work with Nero 5.5 although it's only been tested with Nero 6 so yes you would have to upgrade to Nero 6. How do you know it wants to erase the ripped files?

11. jaydee123

jaydee123 Member

Discmania, just playing wit the program & it want to erase the files, cuz like I said, I don'y know the prg as well as earlier versions.