1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink 3.1.7.6 - error with home videos made on Studio 8

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by GregY, Jun 12, 2004.

1. GregY

GregY Member

I am using DVD Shrink with Nero and getting excellenet results on back-ups of commercially made DVDs but DVD Shrink doesn't work when I try and back up DVDs that I have made myself on Pinnacle Studio 8.
    I get the following message: "DVD Shrink encoutnered an error and cannot continue - Invalid DVD Navigation structure". The DVDs that I am trying to back up work fine on my PC's Iomega DVD drive using Sonic Cine Player, and my Pioneer player. Has anyone encountered this problem, or know what is causing it? It may be something about the settings that I am using in Studi when I burn the disk.

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Nero is the default burner for shrink, so they work together well. I have just recently started using Pinnacle InstantCopy 8 and even tho it takes longer the results are excellent. Bottom line is quality so what's a little extra time? What I do is use a ripping tool like Anydvd(39.00) or dvd43(which is free), there is also DVD Region Free. These can be used on the fly or to your HD. They run in the background so there is nothing to "operate" just let it sit there and do it's job. They also work well with Nero recode(which if you haven't tried you should, it takes the place of shrink and does a much better job,ie. retains menus, user friendly, quality, etc.) try this with Pinnacle and I think you'll be pleased with the results, it has become one of my favorites.

3. GregY

GregY Member

OK, thanks - I'll check that out. I can actually make back-ups by using Nero's "Copy Disk" but I am puzzled though by why I am getting the messages. If anyone can explain this I would be happy to hear.

4. dxk4451

dxk4451 Member

Just try DVD Shrink 2.3, you will be able to make a backup of the Pinnacle's DVD. I don't know why DVD Shrink 3.1 can't do this. I keep DVD Shrink 2.3 and DVD Shrink 3.1 in my computer.

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

dxk...., veeeerrrry interesting. That's kinda odd. Maybe I should haven't upgraded my shrink.

6. Veblin

Veblin Active member

The problem is not with DVD Shrink. The problem is the way that Pinnacle Studio 8 authors a DVD. It makes a playable DVD but there is something wrong with the way it authors the DVD Navigation structure.
    DVD Shrink 3.1 does not work well with bad authoring.
    DVD Shrink 2.3 is more forgiving of bad authoring.

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Veblin, that makes sense to me now, I have had problems in IC8 when I re-author, but when I ran it through only adjusting compression it passed with flying colors. I really like the quality of the video. And all this time I thought it was me. Thanx
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]........Dell Media4600, XP home,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz, 512MB, 280 HD w/8MB, 17" flat panel, AIO-A920, 8x DVD-ROM, integrated 5.1 audio, HP dc4000, Plextor PX-708UF[/small]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2004