1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink 3.2 Problem

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by felsteinb, Feb 18, 2007.

1. felsteinb

felsteinb Member

I have been backing up DVDs with DVD decrypter and using DVD shrink for about two years now and I am all of the sudden having a problem with DVD shrink. When I go to "Back up" and start it, it tells me that it is going to take about 200 or so hours to analyze. Does anyone know how I can fix this? It use to take me about an hour to complete. I don't think I have done anything different with the settings. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall it but that doesn't work.

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Sounds like it can't handle the movie it's trying to analyze. It 's probably one of the many newer movies with ARccOS or Ripguard copy protection.

As a test try using DVDFab Decrypter (it's free) first then use Shrink on the files it's made.

I'm a fan of Ripit4me which is a program you should get because you already have Shrink and Decrypter and will only need to download FixVTS, which Ripit4me will do for you.

3. felsteinb

felsteinb Member

I tried DVD fab and Ripit4me but it was the same think with The Departed, Clerks and School For Scoundrels. This is really starting to get to be because I can't copy any of my new movies! it sucks

4. Molder

Molder Regular member

DMA settings?

5. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

6. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

They may have gotten into PIO but that would just slow it down. PIO would not cause it to indicate 200 hours which is basically stalled.

I ran the same movie in both PIO and DMA:
    Analysis in PIO mode: 2:23 seconds.
    Analysis in DMA mode: 2:06 seconds.

Check it and change to DMA if it is not already.

Do a disc clean-up and defrag. Do a virus scan.

Run the CCleaner and check for issues.

Make sure you are not multi-tasking.

Turn-off/disable unneeded applications running in the background, sucking up available memory.

Test with an older, non ARccOS protected movie, one that worked before. (Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\DVD Shrink and delete all the old Analysis Results files first.)

Verify that it is the analysis and not the encoding that is needing 200+ hours. Just want to make sure we are talking about the same thing.

You can always try a system restore back to a time when it was working.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  7. felsteinb

felsteinb Member

Alright I will try that thanks, I am in a rush but I will let you know how it goes, I don't have any PIO's either so it's something else, How do I do a system restore to when it was working? I have never done one

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

You'll find Restore in Help and Support. Like fasfrank, I'm a fan of RipIt4Me, and also have AnyDVD and DVDFab. RI4M takes about 20-25 minutes to rip and clean up the most difficult releases. After that Shrink, or whatever program is chosen to transcode or encode, has files with no protection to process. So the software itself wouldn't cause the slowdown if used properly.