1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink-"access denied"

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by yak, Jul 19, 2005.

1. yak

yak Member

Hi,
    I need some help please. I have a DVD that came with my factory GPS Nav system. Since an automobile is a hostile environment, I'd like to make a backup copy of the disc. The disc is greater than 4.3 gb so i followed the instructions for DVD Shrink.I got...."DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue.
    Failed to read disc
    access is denied"

(DVD Shrink worked fine for a DVD movie that i needed to back-up).

Then i used DVD Decrypter to rip the disc. I got an ISO from that but DVD Shrink could not open it. Help please.

2. doug.com

doug.com Member

could be the satnav data is unreadable in it's present style, you may need to de-code the data into a readable streem that dvd srink can understand. Im sure someone has a program that can handle this.

3. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

Quite true. Can you elaborate on what kind of folders and files do you have on the dvd?

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi yak,

The error you received was Shrink couldn't read it from the disc.

The chances are that it may well be in a format that DVD Shrink cannot read BUT if you use DVD Decrypter to read it by using "Mode ~ ISO ~ "Read", allow Shrink to get the information already read and on your HD, compress it, Shrink doesn't need to "understand" it to compress it, THEN use DVD Decrypter to book type it to a DVD ROM and THEN burn it as an ISO image to a top quality disc such as a Verbatim OR Taiyo Yuden +R media, I think you'll do just fine.

By working with your information in an ISO image format, you will get every nuance of the information, as it exists, on the original disc, the files and folders won't have a thing to do with anything ~ the programs don't have to understand anything about the information bring being processed.

All should then be good in Whoville ~

Cheers,

Pete

Last edited: Jul 19, 2005
  5. yak

yak Member

scf......i have an iso and an mds

Pete...
    Thank you for you reply and the link to your site.(the guides are great)
    Having said that...i am a newbie and am not able to follow the directions in you post.
    I was not able to figure out how to compress the image ...i got an eror when i tried to open the iso with Decrytpter. When i get to the part where i will "book type it to a DVD-ROM then burn as an ISO image".....i think that i'll need some direction there too.
    Thank you so much for your help
    Yak

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Guide:

Take DVD Shrink,
    http://www.dvdshrink.org/where.html

Go to File then choose Open Disc image then Browse for your ISO, Mds files, choose Mds and allow DVD Shrink to grab the file and analyze it.

Once Shrinks stops it's scanning (about 45 seconds) it will already have compressed it automatically, all you do is go to "Backup" then burn to disc as an ISO. "LQQk in my sig to see any special settings you might wish to set Shrink too and follow all the directions AFTER Shrink has picked up your Mds image.

You're looking for the guide which says, Decrypter and Shrink~

Cheers,

Pete

7. yak

yak Member

Hi Pete,
    Thanks again for helping me out. I'm still having a problem. I used decrypter to creat an iso and mds....as per your instructions i used shrink to open the mds and got the following message...

"DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue.Invalid DVD navigation structure".

Remember though, that the disc that i want to b/u is the disc that came with my in dash DVD GPS Navigation system in my car and is not a DVD movie. I don't know if this has any bearing on my problem.
    Thanks again
    YAK

8. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

do you have a dual layer burner? and use dvd decrypter's iso and burn a 1:1 backup copy of it...

i'm not sure dvd shrink can handle a gps disc as it was made for film vob's/ifo's/bup's compression...?

9. arniebear

arniebear Active member

I agree with Rotary, Shrink will not handle this disk, it has data on it. Try his recommendation of Decrypter in iso read and then write mode. Or if you have Nero you can try its Copy feature. But you will have to use a dual layer to be able to do this.

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Rotary is absolutely correct.

Without a doubt, it is the proper method.

Sometimes we become so stuck in an older train of thought we forget that we're thinking behind the times.

The thought of a DL disc never crossed my mind. I have 2, DL burners and yet I have to think about it several times before I actually use them.

I guess technology progresses faster than the speed of learning and retention, Lol

Thanks Rotary ~

(I'm wondering how long it will take me to remember that a DL will provide a perfect 1:1 copy and that compression should never be an issue again. A couple of more years and I may begin to get it right, Lol :)

DVDD to read, DVDD to write it just isn't all that difficult ~

11. yak

yak Member

AHA!!
    I guess that this is the problem. Do you figure that a GPS NAV disc is dual layer?
    If so, I believe that i have access to a DL burner. Now, I need to assume that I need DL media?

Thanks again
    Yak

12. arniebear

arniebear Active member

You will need dual layer media, cheapest place I found is WalMart, 20.00 for three +R Verbatim dual layer, these are the best.

13. yak

yak Member

Thank Ye much.

14. arniebear

arniebear Active member

Your welcome and good luck, I hope this works for you :)

15. yak

yak Member

Okey dokey,
    I just installed my brand new lite-on DL.
    Can't believe it was only 50 bucks.
    Burned a couple of DVD-5 discs no problem.
    Now i went to my GPS disc, followed the afterdawn instructions for using decrypter to read- iso, then write iso. And i let decrypter verify the burn. Stuck the thing in my car and it would not read.
    Things to note.....I used a Ritek DVD+R DL 2.4x and the burner seemed to be burning at 4x but again, the burn verified. So, before i make another expensive coaster i figured I'd check back here to see if anyone has an idea of how to help me.
    Thanks
    Yak

16. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi there,

I didn't read the whole thread in details, but you seem to be dealing with a DATA media, not video, I have a feeling this is why DVD Decrypter didn't work. (It's NOT Video).

It maybe protected, so trying to make a image from it (Nero Image Writer MAY or MAY NOT work).

WinISO can make .ISO files, but like I said, if it's protected, it may not work !

And yes, if it's bigger than 4.3 Gb you will need to use Dual Layer Media to fit all that data on there !

My 2 cents...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2005
  17. johnnyd54

johnnyd54 Regular member

I would also try a Verbatim dl as they seem to work where the others fail.

18. yak

yak Member

Hi Johnny54...

>>I didn't read the whole thread in details, but you seem to be dealing with a DATA media, not video, I have a feeling this is why DVD Decrypter didn't work. (It's NOT Video).<<

decryter successfully? made an iso and an mds

>>It maybe protected, so trying to make a image from it (Nero Image Writer MAY or MAY NOT work).<<

again...decryter successfully made an iso and an mds

>>And yes, if it's bigger than 4.3 Gb you will need to use Dual Layer Media to fit all that data on there !

As i mentioned, i used a DL disc.

19. hursty

hursty Active member

i am not 100% sure what i am dealing with here,but i think i have a rough idea what these things are,so.
    however,if you could explain what this disk does,whats is on it,what do you try and read it with
    personally,i dont think you can copy these disk's,and even if you can,i doubt whether they will ever to read
    have you tried opening the disk up in isobuster or ultraiso?
    what is the size of the disk?
    like,you say,you are not going to be-able to shrink it anyways,
    and that leaves only a couple of routes

burning it on a dvd-9 or splitting the data onto 2 dvd-5,
    thats why i ask,whats on the disk's,

good luck

anyways,surely buying a replacement disk is cheaper than buying a bunch of dvd-9's and a dual layer burner?

and what oes this disk do

20. yak

yak Member

-It is the disc that the GPS navigation system in my automobile uses.
    -It is a stamped DVD-ROM
    -it contains 5.9 GB of info
    -according to the "properties" box...it has been marked read-only by UDF writing software. This is something that i did not notice before. Correct me if I'm wrong here.....UDF means that it was written as a data disc?
    -I try to read it with the DVD drive in my dashboard that serves to read the original Nav disc as well as play music CD's.