1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink and Bin/Cue, Mdf/Mds

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by mfedora, Jul 17, 2007.

1. mfedora

mfedora Member

Hi guys,

I recently used DVD-Shrink to convert a file consisting of .Vob/.Ifo/.Bup files into a single .iso image on my hard drive.

I was perusing this FAQ:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/7976

And I got to wondering: Can I use DVD-Shrink (or a program like IMGburn) to convert bin/cue and mdf/mds files to .iso images? I know that there are programs out there like Alcohol 120% that can mount bin/cue and the like, but I was wondering about DVD-Shrink's functionality in particular. Thanks!

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

These are image files....Bin goes with cue and ISO goes with MDS. The latter is just a small file which is like a set of instructions that tells your burning application how to handle the image file. I personally feel it would be a waste of time to convert these image files into another type of image file or to convert a VIDEO_TS folder into an image file. You can use Imgburn to convert and burn on the fly your folder as an ISO or simply convert the folder to an ISO image on your HDD for future viewing or burning. You can also use DVD Shrink to create the ISO, but it will not give you the same MDS file that Imgburn does. I don't typically work with Bin/Cue files either so I don't know how the different programs will handle them.

What exactly are you wanting to do with the files? View, store, burn later etc.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  3. mfedora

mfedora Member

Thank you for that information. I'm a bit new to this, so right now i'm basically trying to get a handle on what these programs can and cannot do, and where their functions might overlap.

On my PC, i've found that using Nero 6 SE (my default burning program) works quite well with .ISO images when I want to create DVD-R that is playable in my standalone dvd player. I use DVD-Shrink to convert the batch of vob/ifo/bup files to ISO, and then I burn to disc with Nero, using the burn image function, and thus far it's worked great. That's why I was wanting to see if DVD-Shrink (and IMGburn) could handle other files types like bin/cue and mdf/mds files, especially when it comes to handling non-movie related files, such as software applications.

(On my mac, I have Toast titanium 7, and although I haven't tried this yet, I have a feeling I can just burn directly from whatever files I have, straight to disc.)

At work I've been receiving a few presentation files from colleagues in the bin/cue and mdf/mds format, and what i'd like to do is mount them virtually on my hdd, rather than burn them to disc. I have the Windows XP virtual drive manager, which will handle ISO files only, thus my desire to convert everything to ISO. I figure if I'd like, I can always burn the ISO to disc later if I need them elsewhere.

Also, a little confused on this point...but,would it be accurate to say the DVD-Shrink is more oriented towards the conversion of video files, while IMGBurn is to be used more for software files and other media? Is there a list somewhere of the files that DVD-Shrink and IMGburn support?