1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink and Decrypter or Nero

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mirion, Jan 12, 2005.

1. mirion

mirion Member

I have been reading a lot on this forum trying to get up to speed. Last night I created a few coasters using a fresh copy of Shrink that automatically went to Decryptor for the burn. Twice it failed part way in to the burn. I am going to go home tonight and try again, this time following Scuba's Guide to the letter. One thing I am confused on is whether I should be using Nero instead of Decryptor for the burn, they are both on my machine as well as DVD Xcopy Express which works fine but I am looking for an alternative. It seems that there are a lot of differing methods out there......Mike

2. bardie

bardie Regular member

DVD Drcyrpter and Nero are both good tools to back-up movies. If you want Nero to make the back-up following using DVD Shrink, just go to preferenes in Shrink and under 'File I/O' there is a box to tick which says 'Enable burning with nero'.
    I use also CopyToDVD but I must say that I use Nero for most of my burning.

3. maven1975

maven1975 Regular member

Which to use is just a matter of opinion, i personally prefer DVD Decrypter as it uses less resources then Nero.

But my burner will not burn at x8 with DVD Decrypter but it will with Nero so i have started to use Nero more.

There are loads of burning applications that do the same thing it really is just a case of what do you prefer and as long as it works for you.

4. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

mirion, just out of curiosity, what movie failed for you? I had nero before I started using shrink, so I never needed to find a burn program. If I didn't have it already, I would have used decrypter originally. You should have decrypter anyway since it now has better ripping capabilities than shrink.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  5. mirion

mirion Member

The movie that failed (twice) was "2 Days In The Valley" which burned ok with Xcopy. Last night I had great success with Shrink and Nero. Maybe I should try to rip and burn with Decrypter and see what happens. Does Decrypter have the same reauthoring capabilities as Shrink?

6. hursty

hursty Active member

no.you will need to rip it with decrypter first then open the files in shrink then burn with decrypter,this all depends of course whether or not your file is over 4.4gb,if not you can leave shrink in bed.

7. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

The only time I'm using Decrypter is for DVDs distributed by Sony, otherwise Shrink and Nero will do just fine.

8. NiteCap2k

NiteCap2k Guest

Have you tried ripping resident evil 2? its distributed by sony also. but they've changed the encryption. i use a combination of shrink, anydvd nero and clone dvd

9. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

The new Decrypter works for Resident Evil 2, Little Black Book and The Forgotten. Decrypter and Shrink will do it alone, but I still use nero for the burn. It saves me time.

10. wild77

wild77 Guest

You will need the newest version 3.5.2.0 of DVD Decrypter for the new sony movies.Works great with Shrink or Nero Recode2.Youmight want to use some DVD-RW's until you get all your settings right.

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

mirion,
    You would get the best results backing up your movies in this order

Rip with DVD Decrypter - Designed mainly to decode & rip
    Reauthor with DVD Shrink - Designed mainly for reauthoring in mind
    Burn with Nero - Designed to burn to a disk

They are all good programs, but if not used properly none will work any good :) Most people like usin Decrypter and Shrink only because of there price ;-)LOL

12. NiteCap2k

NiteCap2k Guest

I've gotten pretty good results doing it this way
    Ripping with dvd shrink
    Burning with clone dvd

with any dvd running in the background, all my backups show as "not encrypted" so the ripping process runs alot faster.

13. hursty

hursty Active member

what is it with this any dvd,i got it installed yesterday?how does it work?does it run silently in the background,taking out encryptions?does it run alongside your burning program.?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  14. NiteCap2k

NiteCap2k Guest

yes it does. as long as you have that little red fox down in your toolbar its opn and running. it helpped me bypass the encryption on Resident Evil 2, where everything else i tried just locked up.

15. hursty

hursty Active member

thanks for info.i will leave it on.
    i heard the newest version of shrink rips res2.?

16. NiteCap2k

NiteCap2k Guest

thats the version i'm using and it didn't until i installed anydyd.

17. mirion

mirion Member

I'm on a roll now, things are working great. I really appreciate all the info. I have had a few that give me problems, Monster and a Led Zepplin 2-disk set. I think I will load up this AnyDVD and see if it helps.....Thanks again, you people are great, Mike