1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd shrink and dvd decripter locking up

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by bambi1365, Mar 11, 2004.

1. bambi1365

bambi1365 Guest

Hi everyone
    I have looked for an answer in the forums for over an hour so if it is there please forgive me. I am realy new to this dvd copying lark but both dvd shrink & dvd decripter keep locking up on me. My system is: p4 2.53, 512m ram I have a liteon 12 speed dvd rom and have just installed an nec 8x dvd+/-r writer. now the problem is both programs keep locking and I get the old "this program is not reponding message" I have sucessfully ripped to movies to disk with dvd shrink but only if I don't mess around too much when selecting what to copy. My question is realy this: as I run XP home and norton antivirus 2003 and zonealarm pro why are these marvelous programs so unstable?

Thanking you all in advance for your combined wisdom

Dave

2. mastaprk

mastaprk Regular member

Sounds like a driver or software issue. Did you use DVD Shrink w/ the DVD-ROM, or did you only try w/ the burner? Also do you have the latest firmware and updates?

3. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

Hey Dave,
    The programs themselves are stable...else we wouldn't all use them. Is this only happening when you are reading/writing from a drive? If so, are you reading from your LiteOn or the NEC?
    I run XP, Norton & Zonealarm (as I'm sure many other do) so I doubt those are the issue.
    I'm thinking it might be a hardware instability with the NEC. Maybe try it on another IDE port? Or in another machine if possible.
    Maybe try just watching DVDs using the NEC drive, see if it hangs.
    Adder.

4. Grimbo123

Grimbo123 Guest

Im getting this same problem with just dvd shrink. If i spend to much time selecting what I want to keep and get rid of in the tick boxes and sub sections the whole prog starts using 100% cpu and locks up, however if i select backup relativly quickly this does not happen, maybe a bug in the beta of the program ?? I prefer to backup the dvd to the hard drive first using dvd decrypter and use the open files option. I run abit at7-max2, amd 2400+, 512 pc3200 ddr and use a pioneer 107D for ripping and burning. Any help would be appreciated.

5. Discmania

Discmania Active member

If you are using Decrypter with DVD Shrink then that's the answer. It's been mentioned so many times on this site that you should NOT use Decrypter with DVD Shrink since Shrink uses it's own version of Decrypter and therefore it is totally pointless to use it seperately. Bambi 1365: Your antivirus and firewall software or settings cannot possibly interfere with a ripping programme since the software for that is already 100% on your system. If a virus was serious enough to interfere with any programme Norton would tell you, assuming of course that Norton couldn't deal with it in the first place which is highly unlikely.
    The only other cause could be clutter of useless files on your PC - go to system-accessories-disc cleanup to remove unwanted files which can use RAM, disc space and slow down your system noticeably. Also make sure you have the latest version of Shrink.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2004
  6. bambi1365

bambi1365 Guest

Thank you all for your comments :eek:)

I do not use both programs together by the way and I forgot to mention that I am using Nero express OEM which came with my new NEC drive. I have Defragged and cleaned up, un-installed both progs and re-installed them and they seem to be a little more stable. Just one point on Shrink.....it doesent install as such is this normal and why is this?

Thank you all in advance for your help

Dave

7. viper6699

viper6699 Guest

hiya dismania.......i'm totally confused now by your post. you say never to use DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink together. in what way do you mean, as i tend to use shrink first and if for any reason it wont analyse the disc, i then use decrypter to rip it to hd then use shrink to re-author and burn with Nero

I'm now worried i may be in line for some probs i aint had yet. please put a poor newbie's mind at rest or point out what probs i may have doing this.

many thanks

viper

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2004
  8. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

Don't worry Viper. Have a look here http://www.dvdshrink.info/guides.php it says

"Once in a while, DVD Shrink might not be able to decrypt and/or rip a particular DVD.
    In these rare cases, using DVD Decrypter or a similar "ripper" usually solves the problem."

I would think if they didn't work together, then the DVD Shrink web site would not recommend it.
    Adder.

9. Discmania

Discmania Active member

If Shrink will not rip a discs then it's OK to try Decrypter to do the job. However you should not use Decrypter to rip the disc and then try and upload the files into Shrink as this causes problems. In the normal way you don't need to do this. Just open the disc directly in Shrink and after it has initially analysed the disc you then have the option to reauthor and then backup. Why do you need to use Decrypter? Only use it if a disc will not open or rip with Shrink since it will cause conflicts. If I find a disc that refuses to rip with Shrink I give up since normally if Shrink can't rip it then nor can decrypter or any other ripper. You have to accept that the disc itself is faulty and this does ocassionally occur. Also you should not be using Nero Express OEM - I tried this before changing to Nero 6 Ultra and it was completely useless. I doubt if this will work with Shrink anyway - you need the full Nero 6 software and not just express.

10. viper6699

viper6699 Guest

thanks guys i feel better now. only twice i'ce had to use decrypter instead of shrink and it was to do with copy protection errors. every other occasion like you say shrink does all i need it to.

glad you threw the bit in about nero as i was having trouble with oem version untill i upgraded.

many thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2004
  11. shocknme

shocknme Guest

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie to this forum but have been a reader for a long time. I decided to join because I just wanted to share MY experience. I have been using dvdshrink since 3.05b5 and have had perfect results everytime. I have used it on approx
    60 discs (Movies, tv series) and had absolutely no problems whatsoever. I choose the hard drive folder option so I can burn at my convenience. I have the full version of Nero6 but only use nero express to burn the files to dvd, and again, it works flawlessly. The whole process for me (including deep analysis) from insertion of movie disc to completed burned copy is around 1 hour and 10 minutes.

12. Grimbo123

Grimbo123 Guest

..while he mentioned that, what gain is there in using deep analysis to the normal quick scan. is there a gain in picture quality ?

13. shocknme

shocknme Guest

yes.....if shrink uses compression (I go by if its 70% to 50% (anything below the 50% mark and I don't burn it to one dvd)), it improves the video quality.
    71% to 100% I don't bother with deep analysis...it doesn't make a noticeable difference. At 100% you don"t have the option for deep analysis> 49% and below the quality improvement still isn't up to snuff for me. But yes, It does improve the video quality.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]"Communication without intelligence is noise.
    Intelligence without communication is irrelevant."[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2004
  14. bambi1365

bambi1365 Guest

Hi Discmania

Well I tried all the things you suggested and still Shrink hangs :eek:( I disabled all my startup and no diference. I have managed to rip about 6 DVD's with it so long as I get the Backup started b4 it hangs.
    Any ideas, I realy sad because I can see what a great program this is, but alas if it dont work on my system...I'm stuffed.
    Thanking you in advance

Dave

15. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Have you tried uninstalling Shrink and re-installing it? Also you might want to download this - it forces aspi files to be installed which may have become corrupted (it's safe to install):http://www.clonecd.net/aspi.htm
    Also do you have any other rippers installed on your PC? Finally make sure compatibility is set for XP - right click to 'properties' and then 'compatibility' and select windows 2000.

16. bambi1365

bambi1365 Guest

Hi Discmania

I checked my aspi layer and its installed and working correctly and the latest edition. I also set compatability to Windows 2000 but alas it is still hanging :eek:( is there any point in telling you what the error report says? the one that wants to send itself to Microsoft? I have Nero, Real 1, Musicmatch Jukebox, Media player which can all rip to CD although only Nero and dvddecriptor will rip DVD's.
    I hav never had a program that wouldnt run....strange...

Regards

Dave

17. bambi1365

bambi1365 Guest

Hi Discmania

I for got to say I have uninstalled Shrink and re-installed it a couple of times, strangely though even when it hangs and xp forces it to close and you can no longer see it on the screen, if you Ctrl,Alt,del it is still running in the background, I have even cought 2 instnces of it doing so!

Though this might Help

DAve

18. 42wolves

42wolves Guest

You are not the only one with the problem. I too have tried to use DVDdecrypter when DVDshrink is unable to handle a movie. This usually happens with new release movies. Once DVDshrink just gave me a movie with only the opening scenes on the disc even though I could play the whole file on my computer. On other occasions, DVDshrink has an error and crashes towards the end of a lengthy analysis process when the movie has been compresses. I might try eliminating analysis to see what happens.
    I don't think your problem is XP, the firewall, or Norton because I'm running an ancient (but newly re-installed) Windows 98SE with a dial-up modem and no Norton. (Norton and I had issues.)

19. 42wolves

42wolves Guest

I just noticed that DVDshrink came out with a new version on March 14. Have you tried it to see if it can handle the ripping without decrypter?

20. Discmania

Discmania Active member

As long as you don't actually use Decrypter it shouldn't interfere with Shrink. I think there is something on your system that's consuming all your RAM or is in conflict with Shrink for some strange reason. You could try temporarily uninstalling Decrypter to see what happens. Have you checked in 'preferences' with Shrink to check the settings? In 'preferences' all boxes should be ticked and DVD-5 highlighted in the disc box. In 'preview' you should disable the preview as this slows down ripping speed and uses more RAM. In 'output files' all boxes should be ticked except 'logical remapping' which is not necessary. In 'File I/O' 'read 32K blocks' should not be checked but all other boxes should be checked.