1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter 3.5.4 and Windows 7

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by witenoiz, Jan 29, 2009.

1. p13876

p13876 Member

Hi,

I just got a new laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium.

Both DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0 and DVD Shrink 3.2 installed fine with no issues.

Just ripped a DVD with Decrypter and backed up with Shrink and all worked ok without any registry edits or any other settings (just ran like it did under XP).

Hope this helps!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  2. PCH_Dude

PCH_Dude Member

What kind of Windows are you using, Vista or 7? Using DVD Decrypter, have you encountered the 6-7 pop ups while closing the program? If so, you can set that on the registry to close normally, otherwise all the softwares you mentioned should work fine with all versions of windows.

I use all the latest version of these under Windows 7 64bit:
    DVD Decrypter (Gets the job done 99.5% of the time and fast!)
    DVD-Remake
    DVD Shrink (use this after DVD Decrypter if shrinking is retained above 70%, anything under, I use DVD Rebuilder)
    DVD Rebuilder (w/ HC Encoder 0.24 and Avisynth 2.58)
    DVDFab 5 (I come back to this one when all others failed. A gem that can still decrypt when others can't, yes even when AnyDVD and DVDFab 6 or Decrypter couldn't do the job)
    DVDFab 6
    IMGBurn

3. Mrguss

Mrguss Regular member

You best bet is just to forget about Vista OS......it do not have Customer Support anymore (since around Oct. 2009) and it was a big headache for Microsoft and all customers......

You should just try do down-grade to XP OS or Up-grade to Windows 7 and you just gonna be on better shape.

I just Un-instal Vista Today for a Friend of Mine and Use XP OS in stead.

for more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vista_OS

Good Luck !!!

4. p13876

p13876 Member

Update on my post. Although Decrypter did work I got the pop ups on close so have changed the registry entries as per earlier posts and it now works a treat!

5. LostBoy56

LostBoy56 Member

I tried this and when I run shrink I keep getting part way thur the Encrypting and get a message from Windows 7 Ultamate x64 that I have run out of storage space. and it stops dead...

help ??

6. PCH_Dude

PCH_Dude Member

7. witenoiz

witenoiz Regular member

LostBoy56 The message you are getting isn't because of DVD Shrink - it is the encryption on the disc. When you see "I have run out of storage space" you will need more tools. Many times when I get that message I just go back to Ripit4me ( I think I posted this information in this thread earlier ) DVD Shrink with AnyDVD work fine for me on a setup just like yours. Even though I like Imageburn, I have shrink set to burn with DVD Decrypter.

8. pirkster

pirkster Member

I would suggest to those who are having trouble running shrink on Windows 7 to re-install the program. It should work fine.

My issue is this, however:

I just installed DVDfab and Shrink on a new Windows 7 machine. When I take the DVDfab output from a rip and open the files in DVD Shrink, the Chapter size of the main movie *appears* to be much smaller than it should be. Looking at the preview... it *looks* as if the film is actually complete. However, if I load the same movie from the source disc (without ripping with DVDfab) directly into Shrink - the Chapter size of the main movie (without compression) is almost a Gig larger than what DVDfab ripped. Same movie, and there doesn't *appear* to be any issues during either process (DVDfab rip to hard drive or opening straight into Shrink from the source disc.)

I'm going to take my own advice and try re-installing DVDfab, but I wanted to know if anyone else had the same or similar experience. The file sizes should be exactly the same, since no compression has taken place yet (and isn't necessary anyway - the chapter is well under 4.7 Gig.)

9. PCH_Dude

PCH_Dude Member

That's because when you decrypt the source disc with DVDFab, you didn't set the 'default' compression rate from DVD5 to DVD9. Basically you've already ripped and compressed using Fab6 and are no longer require the job for DVDShrink. After loading the disc, you can choose and select the option towards the bottom left of the pane before you hit start.

10. pirkster

pirkster Member

Ahhh... I see. I figured it had to do with my settings. I'll double check them before I go the re-install route.

That's why I so dislike having to setup programs on new machines that I've had working for a while on others... I forget to check those little things I've already set up years ago. Thanks for the suggestion!

11. PCH_Dude

PCH_Dude Member

You're welcome.
    I found out after I backed-up one of my DVDs a few weeks ago, but I never have to do any of these 'tweakings' before upgrading from DVDfab5 (still one of the best of Fabs imo).

12. Jobuck

Jobuck Member

Right click icon and then properties. Under compatibility tab select xp SP2

13. jmarr0822

jmarr0822 Member

14. jmarr0822

jmarr0822 Member

I am not that technically savvy but the trouble I am having noone else has mentioned. I use DVD shrink to rip and burn the movie and then when played on dvd player, the movie is completely out of order if it plays at all. But, I can watch it on the computer!!!??? This happens even though it appears all is working correctly.

15. Mrguss

Mrguss Regular member

http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-125/every_movie_i_burn_has_the_chapters_all_scattered-841315/
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-125/dvd_folders_out_of_order-835610/
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/t.cfm/f-125/dvd_shrink_img_to_burn_---dvd_s_out_of_sequence-835819/

Hope this help.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  16. shrinkjunky

shrinkjunky Guest

17. ittybitt1

ittybitt1 Member

I have Vista on my laptop and I also could not get it to work.

18. phatty46290

phatty46290 Member

yes it does work on 7 i am using 7 32 bit and it does work though i have had some issues burning newer movies..that have most recently come out

19. jimmurray

jimmurray Member

I am running the 32bit version of 7 and have had no problem at all with DVD Shrink and AnyDVD. I did have to load nero 6 and even though it says its incompatible just click through the warnings and I was good to go. I have backed up everything with this setup.

20. EricCarr

EricCarr Regular member

When I make my way over to Windows 7, I am going to install a virtual XP Pro for any programs I have trouble with.