1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink and Hardware

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Sp33dball, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Sp33dball

Sp33dball Member

Hey, I've spent the last 2 hours searching through the forums and have found a few threads with similar issues to mine, but haven't been able to find a solution.

Currently burning a dvd with Shrink, adding Deep Analysis, and using Max Smoothness, it takes about one hour to analyze, and about two hours to encode (the rate is about 1,100KB/s). I'm wondering if it's because of my system specs that cause the slow down, or something different?

My PC is an AMD Athlon 1800+, w/ 512 RAM, Pioneer DVD-DVR108. If anyone could help me or re-direct me, I would appereciate that very much.

2. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

If you are backing up the entire DVD, then the time it's taking looks about right. Just in case, make sure your drives are on DMA mode.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2005
  3. Sp33dball

Sp33dball Member

Oh okay, I thought it was suppose to be a faster, So approx. 2hrs 51 mins for a full movie with deep analysis and AEC.

(Channels are set to DMA)

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

The more you compress,the longer it takes. Adding the enhancements also slows down the process.

Defrag your hard drive,that may speed you up a little.Dvd burning can put a heavy toll on that hard drive.

5. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

good grief. i've become spoilt by being able to rip virtually any movie in 15mins, maybe 25mins max if it's slow to read from the original disc. I do however only do the main movie, with no extra quality settings checked, don't see any difference in quality personally. i've a 512MB, Athlon 2800+XP system. This is after ripping literally hundreds of movies. What i've definitely found improves speed/lengthen life of dvd burner, is to do all ripping from a dvd-rom drive. (Mine is in fact a CDRW/DVD-rom combo drive, even lives in an external usb2 enclosure). i rarely get less than 6 or 7mb/s ripping throughput.

Rich

6. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

creaky, your times for how you backup sound about right. If Sp33dball did it your way, I'm sure he would get the same results. And yes, your DVD-rom and burner spliting the work does help a lot. I myself have 2 16x dl burners that split the work as well. Two seperate drives is the way to go for speed and longevity.