1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink and LOR III

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by lmnf, May 29, 2004.

1. lmnf

lmnf Member

Hi !

Does anybody have problems ripping L.O.R. III.

Im trying but i get some erros in DVDShirnk, one of the erros is that the disk is Copy Proctected, the other is the reduncy error.

But i can see the movie in the same DVD recorders that gives the errors

Thank you for the Help.

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

No problems here. Used Shrink and Decrypter.

3. rick5446

rick5446 Guest

Just DVD Shrink,works great.
    But I do use DVD43 J.I.C.

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

If Shrink is telling you the disc is copy protested it may help to open your software DVD player (PowerDVD/WinDVD) and play the disc for a minute then run Shrink. Playing the disc will unlock the drive.

A CRC on a new disc usually means a bum disc from the factory. Sometimes a disc gets out of the factory that has corrupt data on it that plays fine but when you're trying to rip it bit for bit it will cause problems. Try ripping it with DVD Decrypter and if that doesn't work, return the disc for a new one.

5. xbadboy2

xbadboy2 Regular member

Lord rings 3 return of the king full movie and all audio can you tell me that your compression was with shrink with full movie and audio with Shrink I think it was 52% I was told if its near 50 you should take out some stuff is this true? When I backed up with platinum it was like at 56% or 57% with all audio full back up took about 55 min total don't get me wrong shrink/decrypter work every time I back up with them and I mean every time. I guess what I want to know is the compression equal dose one do a better job than the other is shrink as good at 52% as Platinum would be at a higher %. Stupid question I know but I just wanted to know.

6. Nephilim

@xbadboy2

If the compression level is within a few percentage points, I doubt there will be a noticeable difference.

7. xbadboy2

xbadboy2 Regular member

thanks what about Shrink and around the 50% mark will it be ok or should I cut some stuff out?

8. Nephilim

That's a subjective decision whether to cut or not. It really boils down to personal tastes as far as how much compression still looks good to you.

If you're in an adventurous mood, use an RW and experiment with different levels of compression to see what fits your personal tastes.

Personally, the only discs I'll go down to 50% are some episodics where I don't have a choice because there's little to cut out. Anything else I'll run it through DVD Stripper to reduce the size and keep functional menus and then Shrink if there's any squeezing to be done.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    JMLS-166S/Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium[/small]

Last edited: May 31, 2004
  9. lmnf

lmnf Member

I got a new disk and problem persists
    When it goes to 48& it gives a Redudancy Error.

With decrypter the problem is the same, when it goes to the file with 351 Mb at 88 % starts the erros again,

For what i could read there are other people with the same problem.
    My tape DVD Recorder is LG 4040B (Region 2).

Any more good ideas ??

10. Buik

Buik Regular member

Sometimes we have to return to square one. Delete files. Defrag HD. Don't fix it unless it is really broke. It is amazing what problems we create by constantly updating our software. Been there, done that. When you have a winning combination, leave it alone. Otherwise, buy a big bottle of tylenol.

Condition of original disc is first suspect. How about HD space & whether the software is operating at max potential?

TC

11. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

Imnf if you're still getting errors in decryptor than it's more than likely the disc, check to make sure it's clean of dust and scratches. I've backed this movie up using dvd decryptor fine, but i just tried hard ball (w/keanu reeves) there's a tiny skip during the movie but neither dvd decryptor or shrink will get past the scratch, so i changed drives (optical) and it worked fine.

Good luck.

12. lmnf

lmnf Member

Thanks for your Replys,

The true is that the problem is not with the media, because i rented LOR III 2 times(Diferent Disks ) and bought the movie.

When trying to Rip the problem occurs, i have a LG 4040B DVD Recorder and a QSI DVD-Rom in my Laptop.

I have just updated the firmware of the LG but the problem persists.

When i tried to see the Movie in My computers, the Movie gives an error in 1H28M Playing time (chapter 28), but in my Room DVD a Marantz the movie plays very well with no problem.

The strange thing is that the movie has multiple vobs and normally the last one is the smallest but this not Happens with LOR III, if you see, the VOb 4 has only ~356 Mb and the problems occurs if you try do rip only that vob ( with Decrypter ) about 88% of ripping the Vob.

So wath i think is that maybe this is a new type of proteccion.

I Live in Portugal, (region 2 , for wath i can see the problem only occurs here (region 2)

Thanks for your Help.

13. lmnf

lmnf Member

Sorry but i had a mistake ..

when i say :

"The strange thing is that the movie has multiple vobs and normally the last one is the smallest but this not Happens with LOR III, if you see, the VOB 4 has only ~356 Mb and the problems occurs if you try do rip only that VOB ( with Decrypter ) about 88% of ripping the VOB. "

I mean :

The strange thing is that the movie has multiple vobs and normally the last one is the smallest but this not happens with LOR III, if you see, the VOB 4 has only ~356 Mb and the problems occurs only on that VOB ( Find this with Decrypter ) about 88% of ripping the VOB.

(All the other vobs are ripped very well..) "

14. Buik

Buik Regular member

Another Basic or two? Make sure that the lens of the laser in that drive drive is clean. Also look into disc cleaning systems. I'm kind of leery about those disc resurfacers tho.

pbailey, I thank you for sparking that thought

TC
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Stretch the cash. Bargain hunting. System is not static.[/small]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2004
  15. colw

colw Active member

Currenly watching backup version of LOR3 - encoded with Shrink and burnt with Nero - no problems - excellent quality - reauthor mode approx 63% compresssion - region 4 (only prob is justifying why I want to backup this crap movie in the first place) - trust the kids may enjoy it.

16. CLiPsEmX

CLiPsEmX Guest

Yeah I just burnt the movie only in Dvd shrink re-author so that I can get the best quality out of it. Works great.

17. siber

siber Regular member

You will get the best quality for copying the 200 minutes of LOR III with DVD Rebuilder/CCEBasic. Even with high compression rates at about 50%, the copy is amazing.

18. backohead

backohead Member

Crap Movie??? Cmon!

19. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

I actually liked the movie, and like it the more I watch it. And as far as crap.. they did walk away with all the Academy Awards... and is probably the highest grossing trilogy.

[bold]siber[/bold]

I agree, best results are achieved using Rebuilder w/ CCE Basic.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Dell 8250, Pentium 4 2.80GHz
    1.5 GB RDRAM, 200GB HD
    TDK 840G, Sony DDU-1612 DVD-ROM
    XP Pro, ATI All-In-Wonder 9000 Pro

Gateway 450, Pentium III 450MHz
    384 MB SDRAM, 160GB HD
    NEC 2100A, LiteOn LTD-163 DVD-ROM
    XP Home, 16MB nVidia RIVA TNT[/small]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2004
  20. Buik

Buik Regular member

Does anyone remember what the inspiration was for J.R.R. Tolkien to write the "Hobbit" and the "Lord of the Rings"?

Go beyond the graphics & special effects (which are quite nice) and immerse yourself in the story. Been awhile since I've read them, but the movies do a pretty good job.

Please don't call them "crap". Feel what he wrote about. Read some more history.

From a technology standpoint, this is another step forward is graphics and animation. Sound also. Maybe the next step will be a "virtual reality" chamber instead of the home theater.

TC