1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD SHRINK and More

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by freedogg, May 3, 2004.

1. freedogg

freedogg Guest

Friends, I am new tom this site and need some help in trying to backup a DVD movie that is a telivision series (CSI, Good Times, Star Trek). I would like to send a copy to my brother stationed in Iraq, but after I try to copy it with DVD Shrink, It keeps giving me errors, and When I try to use DVD Decrypter the old version, it only grabs two of the Four series of each disk! In other words I cannot copy the whole DVD with all the series on them! So my question to you Guru's is what do I need to do to get this done! If I waster a nother DVD+R I gonna shoot my PC. I can record Movies with DVD Dycrpter and I use DVD 2 ONE then burn with Nero. But recording TV Shows with multiple series on them is getting frustrating. DVD shrink just a piece of crap! I tried using the guide, went all the way through but when I get to the part and click burn, it gives me a error saying "Copy wright Detection PResent or something of that sort!

So pleas help if you can!

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi freedogg,
    I just finished the first disc of CSI using Shrink and Nero, no problems at all. I have DVD43 running in the background so Shrink sees all my stuff as unencrypted. I think this is the third post I've seen where Shrink has failed with an "unable to decrypt" type error near the middle the encoding process.

DVD43: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd43.cfm

DVD Decrypter is used when Shrink fails to decrypt. You should have it in "file" mode and Decrypt all the files.

Try removing and reinstalling Shrink, the latest version is 3.1.7.6

Smartripper is a pretty good tool as well so you could try that and then compress to fit.
    Do you have Nero Recode2? That works pretty well once the movie is decrypted.

Remember, this is freeware, the developer never took a dime for all the work he has done on this fine program. A lot of people use this program with no problems.

Best wishes to you and your brother, its tough to have family or friends in harms way, my son is there too.
    Frank

3. freedogg

freedogg Guest

Fasfrank

Thank for the response! Just have a couple of more questions if you don't mind! I have the old DVD Dycrpter, should I use the new one instead. I just prefer it becouse is more simpler to Ripp DVD's without actually changing any settings! Aslo, DVD 43? What exactly is that! I read up on it, but I am still a little bit confused. Do I have to use this DVD 43 when using DVD shrink, becuase it always give me an error on everything I tried to Copy with it! No movie I have ever tried has worked. The instruction are not bad but comfused about the Compression percentage, should it be a high number or low number, it didn't realy explain in layman's terms. Thanks for your help. I'm sure you have better things to do than to help a Newbie! :)

4. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Thats what I'm here for!! LOL

DVD43 Is one of those programs that just sits in the backgroud. It starts when you start your PC. You would not even know it was there except for the icon in the system tray. Does Shrink need it? No! Something else is going on with your set-up or the way you may be using the program.
    I'd like to help but you need to help me by telling me everything you can about your computer and OS, what DVD or video programs you have installed. I need to understand the situation and setup.

Typically, Shrink is used like this: Put the disc in the ROM drive and then select "Open Disc". Find the drive on the menu and select it. Shrink will begin to analyze the disc. This usually takes a minute or two.

Once that has finished a new window will open with the compression settings shown on the right and your movie on the left.

If Shrink is newer than version 2.3, then the compression number shold be larger for less compression. 100% means no compression is being used. You want to keep the number up above 70%, depending on how picky you are. This is done by removing things you don't need like subpictures and audio tracks.

Once you get that done, select "Backup!". Use the browser that appears to pick a location for the output. I have a folder called "Movies" on my HD. I'll click on it and then select "make a new folder", I give it the name of the movie.

When you select OK the encoding process begins and the movie is decrypted and compressed, using the information determined in the analysis stage and according to the settings you made. Is this where you are having problems?

Once that is finished, your video files can be found in the folder on your hard drive, ready for burning.

That's the basic operation of the program, you can make it do different things, depending on how you have it set. For example, with just Shrink and Decrypter, you can rip and burn your copy. No other programs needed.

Frank