1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink and Nero Only

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by bluevette, Feb 14, 2005.

1. bluevette

bluevette Member

I am curious as to why people use DVD Shrink, Decrypter and Nero. Isn't DVD Shrink and Nero all you need to backup a DVD. I am new and I am trying to understand all of this.

Thanks.

2. noslig199

noslig199 Member

Very good question pal, I am also waiting for the same answer, I used dvd shrink and nero, and did the job, what does the Decrypter do?

3. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

I thought the same way until RE2. I'm assuming you guys haven't tried backing up any new tristar/columbia releases. Shrink is not able to rip these movies on its own. Also, if you want to save money decrypter not only rips it burns. I still use shrink and nero 99% of the time, but when it comes to new protections shrink won't cut it. I don't think there will be any more updates to shrink, but as long as decrypter keep up it doesn't matter.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2005
  4. bluevette

bluevette Member

Thanks, That makes sense. It acts technically like a backup if shrink doesn't work, or you have the choice. What about the disclaimer when you go to download Decrypter?

5. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

bluevette

Actually DVD Shrink works 100% of the time at Shrinking from a DVD9 to a DVD5. But with newer codes out now and DVD Shrink not having update’s any longer, (my guess), you need another program to remove the encryption. You can always use AnyDVD in the background along with DVD Shrink and most likely never have a problem either. AnyDVD is not freeware, costs about $40 US.

6. rafigold

rafigold Regular member

Also when backing up some DVD's that had been recorded on a stand alone DVD recorder from VHS, DVD Shrink comes up with a DVD file structure error, while DVD Decrypter handles it no problem.

7. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

just use dvd decrypter and dvd shrink = done!

;-])

BOTH FREE !!!! beat that wahaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy......

8. JohnnyKK

JohnnyKK Member

Hello...
    I have backed up parts of movies using dvd shrink.
    I can now watch those files in video using dvd shrink. However, I have nero 6 and I want to make a dvd with all the movie clips.
    Can someone help me with this please?

Thank you.

JKK

9. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

If you just want to put what you have on a DVD without anything else, try this to burn with Nero.

The point is that Shrink can open Nero for you to burn.

Open Shrink 3.2 and select Edit -> Preferences. Go to the File I/O tab and check the "Enable burning with Nero Box".

Open your Video files and select Backup!
    From the Backup DVD menu, Target Device Tab change the drop-down menu to your burner.

When you click on the menu you should see a choice of something similar to this:

Burn with Nero

E: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-109

(thats what mine looks like)

Once you do that put in a blank disc and select OK Shrink will encode the movie and open Nero at the correct time to start the burn process.

10. JohnnyKK

JohnnyKK Member

Thanks for the the prompt and detailed reply...you are most kind.
    More questions... :)

I have several movie clips that I am trying to put on one DVD. I have managed to put the first clip (Thanks to you)...however, I cannot add more clips.
    Do I need a rewritable DVD?
    If Yes...would a rewritable DVD run on a regular dvd player?
    If I dont need a re writable dvd...please advise on the proper method to burn all my movie clips on one DVD+R.

Thanks again.

11. prpl_haZe

prpl_haZe Member

Is there a program that will let you retain the menu structure but remove some of the video features? i.e. DVD Shrink will let you re-author the DVD but it says it cant add the menu's also, I was thinking about trying this to reduce the amount of compression for the main features, but I didnt know if I wanted to lose the menu functionality.

And I dont use Nero, but I do have anydvd just in case DVD Shrink wont work alone.

Thanks,
    haZe

12. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

@ JohnnyKK, I made a guide for doing this with Shrink.

The basic procedure is to select Re-author. one there you open the start/end chapter select feature to cut the clips and back each one up to your HDD. Once that is done you drag each mini-movie into the re-author compilation window. Easier than it sounds.

This thing is a bit slow to load. If you have problems you can e-mail me from the website.

http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/clips guide.html

13. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

@prpl_haZe,
    You can mess around with the Shrink Compression Settings Menu.

Once your movie finishes analysing, look in the upper right corner for the Compression Settings drop-down menu. It probably says Automatic. Once you know where that islook over to the left, you should see the "Main Movie" highlighted in blue.

Highlight the Extras, below the Main Movie. Just click on it. It should turn blue.

Go back to the Compression Settings menu and click on it. Change it to Custom Ratio. Using the slider you can apply more compression to the higlighted "Extras".

Go back to the Compression Settings Menu and change it to Still Image. This will replace the Extras with a default Shrink image or one of your own.

The next Compression Settings item is "Still Images" This turns the Extras into a bunch of, what else, still images.

The best way to learn this feature is to play with it. Go back and highlight the Main Movie occasionally and switch the Compression Settings to Automatic. This allows you to see how increasing the compression on the extras reduces it on the main feature.

You can apply custom compression settings to any portion of the DVD you can highlight. You get the biggest bang for your buck by adding extra compression to the Extras though. They are usually the largest item there, besides the Main Movie.

14. JohnnyKK

JohnnyKK Member

Everything worked fine Frank.
    Your help is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

15. Appa

Appa Regular member

I have been following this post as well and it is great to get the details spelled out in a simple fashion, as I am a Noob at all of this and trying to get my bearings here.

It is great that there are competent members that have such patience.
    Simply wanted to add my 2 cents.

Thankyou very much!!!

16. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi

welcome to afterdawn the rainbow nation