1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD shrink backup button not working

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by jimbob696, May 12, 2004.

1. jimbob696

jimbob696 Member

Hi from Scotland. Im using DVd shrink and DVd region free, i get a problem after analysing the disc, the "backup" button depresses ok but wont move on to the next screen"space available space required" then all buttons freeze(thought the computer itself doesnt freeze) and i need to restart the computer and next time it may work or i might need to do this a number of times,any ideas please?

2. pudgy

pudgy Member

jimbob,

did you try uninstalling and reinstalling the program..maybe something didnt install properly..

sher

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi Jimbo, Welcome to our Club -

What you’re describing sounds like you don't have enough HD space or enough memory. Think about freeing up some HD space and about going into msconfig and shutting everything down (if you have XP, if you don't have XP leave systray and explorer alone).

It wouldn’t hurt as Brian suggested uninstalling then reinstalling your program - also

Let us know how you’re making out -

cheers,

Pete

4. jimbob696

jimbob696 Member

Hi guys, thanks for that but still having problems, very occasionally the next screen (ie. space available space required) does appear but can take 10 restarts maybe more, I have 393 kb of RAM, plenty hard disc space, when program works it works well, any more ideas please? Jim

5. ses

ses Guest

hi jimbob
    im using win 98, and im having exactly the same problem with shrink, ive update to shrink 3.17 and the problem is still occuring. So if you dont mind id like to join in on this forum.

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I didn't think that was enough to boot-up a PC, it sure isn't enough to run anything more than a small graphics program - you need some RAM !!!

A very bare minimum of say 128MB and more like 256MB - HD space requirements call for 11GB to 18GB of free space.

"P"

7. ses

ses Guest

hi pete

im having the same problem as jimbob, the difference being i have 12.1gb free space.
    using win 98
    do you have any ideas what the problem could be.(shrink software keep freezing)

8. jimbob696

jimbob696 Member

Sorry my mistake, I meant 393 MB of RAM, the only news I have is that I went back and got a previous version of Shrink ie. version 2.3 and now it seems to work fine!! Yes Ses,your very welcome to join in, Jim.

9. colw

colw Active member

Could be a FAT32 problem
    Win98/ME use a fat32 filesytem - this has probs reading files over 4Mb - you could try compressing files to less than 4Mb or upgrading your operating system.
    Win2000/XP use a NTFS file system that is not constrained by file size

10. colw

colw Active member

previous post should read - problems handling files over 4Mb

11. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

i believe it's problems with files over 4GB.

12. ses

ses Guest

thanks jimbob.

great minds think alike.

ive done the same thing downloaded shrink 2.3 and it was sucessful.

13. siber

siber Regular member

What the heck is SHRINK 2.3? I thought we were at 3.1.7.

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Jim, Super glad to hear you be a "Burning Fool !!" I keep older versions of programs around for just that reason. The only thing you've lost is the ability to work hand-in-glove with DVD Decrypter (too bad, that.)

Hey Jimbo, I just really have to know if you have 2 slots of RAM (I'm guessing at that) one being 128MB and the other being 256MB, giving you 384MB of RAM, where is the other 9MB of RAM coming from ?? (Just curious - but you know what that did to the cat - -)

Very good colw, and the easiest thing to do is to change your HD from FAT32 to NTFS, all of your files should be relatively safe. Nothing in life is 100% except death but it is rare to lose information and the transfer is quick and easy.

Very true flip128, but you failed to mention that we are lucky enough to have some pretty kool programs like ISO Buster and the like so that we could trim ISO files enough to play with them and still not get smacked every so often with that 4GB warning ;-)

siber, we are at 3.1.7 but 2.3 is about 4 plus versions back. Believe it or not, back in the day, before there was even Night or Day, we were using DVD Shrink and it wasn't all that much different than today's version - shows you what a really great tool it really is :D)

flip128, colw and jimbob696, in case nobody has done it, let me personally Welcome you to our friendly little A/D forum Club. It wasn't all that long ago that pudgy, siber and ses were where you are now but, that's what we do here, help each other clime over those little bumps we hit along the way. Ya all doin' good :p)

cheers,

Pete

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1GB RAM, 520GB HD.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, Nec 4X R/W ND-1300A, HP R/W 200j, AXV CD/DVD-ROM.
    GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP, SP1[/small]

Last edited: May 19, 2004
  15. jimbob696

jimbob696 Member

Hi Pete, thanks for the welcome, yes I have 2 slots for memory, it says 393MB when its booting up, but yes i added 256 to original 128. anyway i used dvd shrink 2.3 which opens up and works fine ,only thing it doesnt have that i like on later versions is automatically opening up nero and burning your disc after encoding is finished, I am having nero problems too, jeez, just my luck, see you all soon, Jim

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hey Jim, do you have any Roxio programs on your PC (i.e. Easy CD Creator or InCD)??

The reason I ask is that most PC's coming out with an XP OS have Roxio on them and it plays havox with Nero.

Even so, Nero can get a little "Flighty" so I suggest that you uninstall it and use -
    This - http://www.nero.com/en/631938356417810.html
    to clean up the "leavings" -

And then this - http://www.nero.com/us/631940828445001.html
    toget it "spick and span" clean.

Then reboot to insure it's totally out then reinstall it and then reboot again to allow it to settle in and see if it doesn't work a bunch better.

Iffin you have Roxio, let me know cause you really need to "Flush" THAT out :D)

We'll get you going or at least we'll try like hell :)

cheers,

Pete
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1GB RAM, 520GB HD.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, Nec 4X R/W ND-1300A, HP R/W 200j, AXV CD/DVD-ROM.
    GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP, SP1[/small]

Last edited: May 15, 2004
  17. jimbob696

jimbob696 Member

Hi Pete, thanks for that, yes I do have Easy CD creator, but I am using Windows 98 SE, would you still recommend doing what you suggest?Thanks again, Jim

18. Arkfeld

Arkfeld Guest

no

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2006
  19. flip218

jimbob696, I alo used Roxio and now use Nero. I think Nero is alot better, just takes a bit of time to learn it.

Personally I never did have a problem having Roxio and Nero on the same computer, but I did uninstall Roxio, for the purpose that I didn't want things to act up. Was kind of a preventive maintence thing.

Last edited: May 16, 2004
  20. flip218

Arkfeld, this reply will be one of many. You shouldn't use Roxio and Nero. Uninstall both, pick one and go with it. Many will suggest Nero since Shrink uses Nero's burning engine. Read up on some other threads this is mentioned alot.