1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink backup time has slowed

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by cleary71, Sep 3, 2004.

1. cleary71

cleary71 Member

I was wondering if anyone has any other suggestions regarding slow backups times. I initially was getting back up times in about the 20 minute range and rate was about 3,200 kb/s. Now it is closer to 2hours and about 1,250 kb/s. I have checked out DMA and everything appears correct. Burning the DVD has not changed what so ever, still in the 30 minute mark for a 2x disc. I also tried it with and without the deep analyzing, both were roughly 1,250 kb/s. This has just started happening with about the last 4 or 5 discs that I have backupped. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!!

2. bongorock

bongorock Member

I have the exact same issue. What DVD burner are you using? I have a sony 530a.

3. nist

nist Member

Have you changed DVD shrink version? New hardware on the same IDE channel? If not I would suggest you start with defragging your harddrive. Also try with one of your old DVDs to see if it slower this time compared to last time you made the backup.

4. hogan

hogan Regular member

Are you removing the movies off your hard drive after you copy. When is the last you defragged your hard drive.Do it after every 4 or 5 movies.

5. bongorock

bongorock Member

I'm defraging it now. I never have done it since starting. I've probably burned about 40 or more dvd's since and I'm sure that might have something to do with it. Didn't realize windoze needed to do that so much. kind of sad really.

6. bongorock

bongorock Member

defrag takes a sweet forever to do. Is there any way to reduce the time it takes? I have an 80 gig drive so that might be what is taking sooo long...

7. bongorock

bongorock Member

Well defrag didn't do it. Still taking an hour or more to decrypt the movie.:(

8. bongorock

bongorock Member

I've noticed I can not change my Sony to DMA. it is greyed out on PIO Mode. I even unhooked my other Cd burner that came with my dell and it still will not move from PIO Mode. Any suggestions?

9. gorangel

gorangel Guest

You have to reinstall the dvd drive and then check for a firmware update for your drive (www.rpc1.org)

10. bongorock

bongorock Member

I actually figured it out. It came down to the fact that I had burnt a DVD a few ago that was pretty scratched, and it had a hard time reading I guess and slowed down to read it. When it did that it went into PIO Mode and the only way to get back to Ultra DMA was to completely uninstall the IDE stuff and let windows put it back in after a reboot. Hope this helps someone in the future.

11. michigan

michigan Guest

Glad you got it figured out, Now burn baby burn!

12. bongorock

bongorock Member

Yep, now I'm just waiting on my new blanks to come in the mail. I ordered Ridata 4x +R's from newegg for 25 bucks. I sure hope they are ok:)