1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD SHRINK BURN FAIL (WON'T ACKNOWLEDGE DVD)

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by tambycat, Mar 2, 2005.

1. tambycat

tambycat Guest

I have been using DVDShrink for a while and haven't had any major problems with it. Until now! I made an image file successfully but when I tried to burn it, it wouldn't work and a message came up saying it had failed! Duh! Anyway, since then my DVD Drive won't acknowledge any DVDs to play or backup. (CD Rom's are fine.) What is going on?
    Could it be my DVD Drive? When I bought this computer I really didn't know what I was doing and unfortunately I bought a DAEWOO and have had problems right from the start. They won't even give me basic information like what sound card/video card I have! I don't want to put it in to be fixed under warranty because it took almost a month to get it back last time. Turns out it is a generic 8xDVD drive. I don't think that sounds good. Should I replace it and what with? Will this solve my DVD backup problems? Please help, I'm about ready to rip my hair out!

2. brobear

brobear Guest

SiSoftware has an app named Sandra (a free lite version for individuals). You can use it and get a listing of the hardware used in building your PC. It usually gives the manufacturer and model of DVD drives and such. Knowing the drive might help. Some problems are specific to the model in question.

3. tambycat

tambycat Guest

Thanks. I will look that up and see what happens. It's too late for my burner though. I took it in to a shop and had it replaced. I have no patience! Anyway, it was a 'generic' DVD burner in every way. It literally had no brand...just 'made in China'! The guy said he'd never seen that before. Good riddance to bad rubbish. This one is much better. Thanks again for the info.

4. brobear

brobear Guest

I've opened up a few computers and the equipment in the PCs aren't always labeled. Companies like Gateway and Dell supply a build sheet and record what was in the PC purchased. That's also why I own a retail version of Sandra. The Samsung drive in my current PC would be indistinguishable from another by just looking at it. It has a serial number and barcode, but that's all. Looks like DAEWOO support should at least have a list of components put in their models.

5. brobear

brobear Guest

BTW, you're welcome. Wish I could have been of more assistance. Your putting the PC in the shop may have saved some hair pulling. With the drive being bad, or at least that was the impression I got, it would have ended up there anyway; unless you work on PCs yourself.

6. tambycat

tambycat Guest

Sorry it's taken so long to get back. The good news is I got ahold of Sandra and its great. It's told me everything I need to know, so thanks very much for putting me on to it.

7. brobear

brobear Guest

Well, at least we did something helpful. You're welcome and good luck.