1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink Burn with Nero - Cannot Select Lower Burn Speed

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by y3468, Mar 24, 2007.

1. y3468

y3468 Member

I have one DVD reader/burner and Nero Ultra 7/DVDShrink 3.2.
    With the original DVD inserted into the drive, the Backup dialog in DVD shrink only allows a Burn speed of Maximum and the highest speed my burner can burn at (16X).
    However, I want to burn at a slower speed (because of hidden errors in the past). Is there a way to force the burn to be slower?

Note: I have tried to start the Backup dialog with a blank dvd in the drive and select the burn speed I want (all speeds are shown) and then switch the DVD back to the original before actually burning, but DVD Shrink tells me to "Insert Media with ... Serial Number". I'm guessing at this point that it is trying to use the Blank DVD as the Original.

2. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

What is the make, model, and firmware of ur burner?

If u have to autoburn with shrink then why not put the Blank media in your burner, then put the dvd u are trying to copy in the DVD-rom

another way is to Rip the dvd to ur HDD then use shrink and have the blank media in the burner when using shrink.

3. y3468

y3468 Member

TSSTCorp CD/DVDW SH-W162C (Samsung) - Running the latest firmware from samsungODD (Firmware AutoUpdate App).

My guess is that the speed of 16X that it is presenting me (in the DVDShrink Backup dialog) is what DVD Shrink is detecting the Original DVD Media Burn Speed as (even though it is a pressed DVD).

Is there a way to force DVDShrink or Nero to burn at lower speeds regardless what DVDshrink gives as burning options?

I only have One DRive in this system (DVDRW). It's just so much easier to burn with Nero from DVDShrink rather than rip to an ISO and burn the ISO. (I use AnyDVD 6 as my decryter).

4. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Check at the nero download site under your version of nero there should be a column at left of web page (i have nero 6 so i assume nero 7 will be same) clik on the utility link,then when page opens clik on support tools there may be a tool that's called "DYNAMIC WRITE SPEED" it's used for forcing burn speeds of your choice

EDIT: Check nero 7 does'nt already have it installed tho i don't know if it'll make any diff you may find that you have to burn the iso's manually to select the slower speed

Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  5. y3468

y3468 Member

6. y3468

y3468 Member

I gave the "Dynamic Write Speed off" fix a try.
    DVDShrink still only shows Burn Speed options (with Nero) as Maximum or 16X with the original DVD in the drive. The fix only seems to change how Nero displays writable speeds rather than DVDShrink.

Any other possibilities?

7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

With the burn option set to burn with Nero, you should be able to insert a DVD R and set the burn speed. As long as the burn option is Nero, the setting should be the same in the box when you check it.

[​IMG]

8. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

sorry, i misread and thought u had a dvd-rom too, anyway just do it like i said

Rip the dvd to ur HDD first then use shrink and put the blank media in and u should be able to select the burn speed u want.

It is never going to work if u try putting the original dvd in then switching it at the burn part as u already know.
    Riping only takes around 10-15mins.

or go out and buy a dvd-rom which are very cheap.

9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

There's no need to output to the HD unless that's a preferred process. I use the revised Shrink which supports ImgBurn. So I can auto burn with either Nero or ImgBurn. Once the speed is set in Shrink, the program remembers the setting for future use. If you open the program without a recordable DVD in the burner and look at the speed settings you will see only the Max and low speed settings. Put in the DVD R and it changes to the preset speed. So, a single DVD RW drive can read the original DVD and once the software calls for the recordable, put it in and the desired speed is preset.

10. y3468

y3468 Member

It doesn't seem to work that way. It does automatically resort to Maximum burn speed. There is no way to set a preferred burn speed when media is changed to the DVD-R after reading the Original DVD. It will either tell you that the blank DVD has the "Wrong Serial Number", or will default to the maximum speed of the burner/media combination.
    The link given previously shows that this has been an issue for a few versions now. I will end up having to pull a DVD reader from one of my other systems to use the burn speed that I want.

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I'm not having the same problems. So it doesn't appear to be a common flaw with the software. I set the speed in ImgBurn and it stays set. The 6X settings I set in Shrink stay the same when I have a recordable in the burner drive.

Why does my software work the way it's supposed to and yours doesn't?

12. y3468

y3468 Member

As to the ImgBurn suggestion, I'm guessing a few of the posters haven't really read the full post carefully. The problem isn't with the burning software, it is specifically with the DVDShrink dialog itself.

13. y3468

y3468 Member

Hey PacMan777, try to put an original DVD (Pressed DVD) into your drive (one DVD drive only), and attempt to "Backup". DVDShrink will not let you set a burn speed UNLESS a blank DVD is in the drive. Therefore, if only one DVD drive is in the system, you CAN NOT set a burn speed.

14. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I understand what was posted. You're obviously having problems setting your burn speed in Shrink. I don't. Below is a capture I just did. I didn't need to set the speed because it is preset at 6X. An auto burn with Nero or ImgBurn burns at the preset 6X. If it's a problem with the software, why does it work for me and and not you?

[​IMG]

15. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi everybody,
    I'll just make a guess that because the desired burn speed has never been set in the first place, Shrink uses the default, (maximum) setting. That's in the registry so I thought I'd find it and see if I could change it. At any rate here is my experimental registry workaround.

First the list of speeds in kbps:

Here is Shrink's:

[​IMG]

OK, keep that handy.

Now open your registry:
    Start > Run > regedit > OK

Now for the fun part!

Dig your way down to here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\DVD Shrink\DVD Shrink 3.2\Preferences

From that list look for BurnSpeedKBPS:

[​IMG]

Look at the data on the right and you can see both the hexadecimal and decimal burn speed values.

Right click BurnSpeedKBPS and select Modify:

[​IMG]

Maybe you can read in hex, I can't, so select decimal:

[​IMG]

Referring to the burn speed list, enter your desired burn speed in kbps, For this experiment I selected 8X:

[​IMG]

Hit OK and close the registry. Open Shrink and hopefully this will become your default speed setting.

Be advised..... No guarantees it will stay set to this after you shut off your PC... or even work at all! I did open and close Shrink several times and it stayed set.

As always be careful when editing your registry. You can screw up your Windows installation among other things. If you don't know what you are doing, read up on registry hacks.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  16. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

i think frank is right,
    pacman u r able to do that cuz ur burn speed is set already,

I have never autoburned with shrink before so i thought i would try what
    y3468 wrote he/she was doing. in the process of trying it
    plus i did put a commercial disk in and the burn speed otions r max,2,2.4.
    will post back with results of what y3468 was trying.

@y3468,
    maybe u could try this, Rip a dvd to the HDD, then open it with shrink and proceed as normal with setting a burn speed, then maybe that will be the set speed when u use a disk and not rip to the HDD first.

edit
    well, it will not work, so i put in a commercial dvd and opened it with shrink, then i hit backup, took out the dvd and put a blank one in, and changed the burned speed to 8x, then i put back the commercial dvd in(since it needs it to transcode) and the burn speed changed back to max

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  17. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

With one DVD burner I can set the burn speed.
    Step 1: Install and rip a factory DVD to the HD.
    (When selecting Backup with ripped files on HD, Shrink has default settings for burn speed.)
    [​IMG]

At this point I would normally insert a recordable DVD, let the drive recognize it, and set the burn speed, but we'll do it from Open Disc instead.

Step 2: Allow drive to recognize factory DVD.
    Step 3: Open Shrink (along with DVD Region + CSS Free)
    Step 4: Select Open Disc
    (Does Analysis)
    Step 5: Select Backup
    Step 6: Select Target and select Burn with Nero
    Step 7: Select Burn Settings
    (Set burn speed 1st time.)
    [​IMG]

Step 8: Click OK
    At this point a person would usually continue to finish the burn with the speed set. But for our purposes of only setting the speed, we can stop and check the registry.

Run/regedit
    (Registry initial settings for BurnSpeedKBPS is 0, after setting 8310)
    [​IMG]

After setting speed, if a factory DVD is opened in DVD Shrink, the burn speed is set according to the Registry.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The PC can be turned off and turned on. As long as the settings aren't changed and the value remains in the registry, BurnSpeedKBPS, the burn speed in DVD Shrink will remain set.

After setting the speed, I did a burn with the speed set at 6X and it burned at 6X.

Bowler is right, you can rip to HD and open Files, insert a blank DVD recordable and select the burn speed. It will be entered in the registry and the registry entry used for future burns, unless changed.

I can set burn speed with a factory DVD and have the settings saved for future use. I have no idea what is happening with y3468's system, but my system doesn't suffer the problem described.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  18. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

like i said earlier, but let me clarify it more,
    when using the open disc feature with shrink and only having one drive, and not having the write speed set it is impossible to put in the original disk then put in the blank and select a write speed then put back the original(cuz u need it to have shrink encode) in, the write speed will change back to defualt(max),

so also here are two ways u can try and set the write speed,
    Rip to the HDD first then set the burn speed, and then the next time u should be able to set the speed(although it should be what u set the first time) or
    try changing it in the registry like frank said.

19. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I neglected to check this earlier. Had anyone noticed that was an old post with 3.1.2 being the version at that time.

Version 3.1.4 - 25 Jan 2004
    ---------------------------
    Fixed problem of incorrectly reported burning speeds.

Version 3.1.3 - 18 Jan 2004
    ---------------------------
    Added Nero burn options: write speed, book type and DVD+R/RW high
    compatibility mode switch.

Later, after versions through 3.1.7 and a batch of betas used for testing and fine tuning we got 3.2. What was considered the bug in the old post was addressed in later updates.

20. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Bowler
    I'm familiar with how DVD Shrink works. There are 2 ways to record with DVD Shrink using a single drive.

The one I'd use is ripping the files to the HD. Then select Open Files. Edit if desired. Select Backup and select Nero as the target and open Burn Settings. Install a recordable disc, let the drive recognize it and then select the burn speed. The speed is set in the Registry at this point and will be the same for future use until changed. Click OK to burn with the set speed.

The other backup method is selecting Open Disc. Using a driver decrypter like AnyDVD or DVD Region Free, open the disc and let Shrink do the analysis. With Nero selected as the Target, open the burn settings. The burn settings will have Maximum in the window the first time, but will have the full selection of speeds the burner will support in the drop down window. Select the desired speed. Click OK and burn at the set speed. The speed will be entered in the registry and be available for future burns till changed. This method does not use inserting a recordable DVD until it is needed for burning and the speed is already set.

Besides setting the speed with the 2 backup methods, the speed can be entered in the registry as fasfrank pointed out.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007