1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink: can you burn from DVD straight to DVD?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Rab!, Dec 19, 2004.

1. Rab!

Rab! Member

Hi all, I'm new to DVD burning and ripping, encoding etc and I've read up what I can, but a question I have that I believe to be left unanswered is -
    Can you backup a DVD straight to another DVD, (both DL and normal DVDs) without needing to back it all up onto HD inbetween?
    My problem is that i only have a 20Gb HD and about 2Gb space left on it, so ripping entire DVDs to the PC would involve deleting quite a bit from it!
    If so, could someone point to a guide, as I've seen people mention DVD Shrink (and Decrypter) reading and writing, but I've no clue how to do the above if it is managable!
    Do they always require ripping to HD to remove copyrighting to play a backup?!
    Thanks alot all,
    Rab!

2. Rab!

Rab! Member

Apologies for double tapping post :(

Last edited: Dec 19, 2004
  3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

You need to get a larger hard drive. No matter what program you use to go from DVD to DVD, there will always be temp files written to your hard drive, in the process.

4. Rab!

Rab! Member

Oh, not so good! How much space would i require at a time for DVD burning, the values stated, ie 4and a bit or almost 8 GB? or does it need a couple of GB to burn and keep rewriting those temp files on the PC?
    sorry for my cluelessness
    thanks.

5. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

Rab! ,
    At the minimum I would recommend at least 8-10gb of free space depending on what programs and method you use to burn the movie.Shrink will use 4.3 GB if you go that way but if you have to use DVDDecrypter in file mode you will use the size of the movie ( let's say ) 8 gb. and then 4.3 in Shrink to take the files and compress. Doing it the second way took 12.3 gb. so to be safe get a larger HD at 80gb. They are fairly cheap now

6. DGajre777

DGajre777 Member

Try these:
    1) Try cleaning up your hard drive. Delete any programs that you haven't used in 2 months. If you don't use it. Delete it.
    2) If you are using XP and know how to use a computer and not mess it up, SHUT OFF Windows Restore. It uses up about 4 gigs.
    3) If you are using XP decrease the size of your temp files, under internet options. Mine was set to 2000MB, I set it to 50MB.
    4) If you have MS Office installed, delete the programs that you don't use.
    5) Delete all your $$NTUNINSTALL$$ folders in c: drive
    6) COMPRESS YOUR HARD DRIVE - go to my computer, right click on your c: drive and click on 'Compress drive'. It will take about 30 minutes to compress it and you'll get more free space on your drive.
    7) Install Winzip and compress all your back-up files that you keep, but don't use.

I burn one movie at a time, I have a 40GB hard drive. My movies come up to about 4GB for the ISO image file ripped using Shrink. I then use Decrypter to burn the ISO file. I tried to use Nero 6, but I got a lot of skips, so I stuck with Shrink and Decrypter.

IF nothing else works and your still having memory problems, get another 20 gig hard drive, cheapest place I found was tiger direct. You could also get a 80 gig drive, instead of having 2 - 20 gig drives, if you got the funds!

Good luck!!

7. Rab!

Rab! Member

Hey guys, great advice cheers!
    I've been looking about and as you say prices on HDs have dropped alot since I last looked, so i'll try and get the biggest I can.

DGajre777, cheers for the advice- i really did try squeezing as much out of the HD i have atm, it's literally got what i need and nothing else on it and that's got me 3gb... so it looks like another HD is in order!
    Thanks to all for clarifying, i now see the light, woo
    Rab!