1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink Cannot Start In Server 2003 x86 DEP Enabled

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by NuckNFuts, Feb 11, 2007.

1. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Hi folks, I'm new to this froum so I hope to learn a lot from you guys and put it to good use. Is anybody using DVD Shrink v3.2.15 under Server 2003 R2 Enterprise x86? With DEP enabled, and exceptions added, DVD Shrink cannot start. No message, no attempt, just no responce. It runs fine in x64 version with exceptions added. Any feedback is welcome.

2. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Well, this could be a number of reasons. One DVD Shrink has not been updated and will not be updated again. It is a great program that can still be used in conjunction with other programs to get the job done.

Now DVD Shrink is compatible with 98/XP/2000 and many have got fixes for it to work with Linux. So one case for the problem could be that the program is not capable of working with 2003 Server. I do not think that your Data Execution Prevention (DEP) has anything to do with it. This Execution Prevention is also available for XP SP2. However, the fact that you are running x86 may have something to do with it as well.

I am not sure if DVD Shrink is an 16 bit program or 32 bit program, but if your x86 does not read or recognize 16 bit then that could be the primary factor.

Just as a heads up. DVD Shrink 3.2.15 is a free program. People are advertising it as new. It is not a new program, and if you paid for it you got ripped off.

3. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Doesn't make much sence. 1st off, XP SP2 is also x86 only and I have it running fine (as 32 bit was all there was bk when app was new) on XP Media Center Edition v2005 (wich is XP SP2 v2003 with add ons) and DEP set to "on" for all programs and aservices except the ones I choose (DVD Shrink.exe is selected). And DEP does stop it from running without the exceptions in menue. 2nd It does run fine with DEP on for essential programs and services only. This seams to happen under Server 2003 Enterprise x86 (Iwill try my R2 x64 to confirm) SP1 and R2 as well (never used standard or other to confirm yet). I will try later under XP x64 Ed SP1 and 2 to confirm them as well.

4. syxguns

syxguns Active member

Let me know if you find out anything. I have Advanced Server 2003, but I don't have it installed on one of my servers yet. Haven't had the time!

5. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

K, will do. I have heard from others online elsewhere that it can, or may be led to do with multi CPU or x64 based CPU as well. Again, comfused cause I've bean using Intel 64 bit since the P4 550J On a !925X chipset (3.4 single core, Hyper Threading) when they 1st hit the scene and made no differences back then on same Server 2003 SP1 Enterprise (configured as workstation). I never got around testing on A64 single but only have x2 to test now but will also confirm and get back (A64 x2 4400 under XP Pro SP1 x64)

6. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Oh ya, the XP Media Center Edition is a nitebook with Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 on !945GH chipset (2.0GHz/4mbL2/667FSB x86/x64)

7. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Interesting! It would appear that all is good on the A64 x2 4400+ on nVidia nForce 4 SLI rig with DEP "ON" for all or essential apps & services, and no DVD Shrink Exception needed as well as Decrypter and Any DVD v6.1.1.4. I restarted to confirm and same. I may add the exceptions just to be safe. Test on Server 2003 R2 Enterprise x64 coming soon.

8. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

Interestingly enough, now back at the Server that 1st istarted this all, it works. After several monthes of leaving DEP enabled for essential apps only, I desided to change it back to Enabled for all apps except the ones I choose & see if anything changed as I since added new apps and removed older ones and so on. It did. 1st off Shrink failed to start as expected, but then after adding exceptions it now started. (Server configured as Workstation Server 2003 R2 Enterprise x86 with Intel Pentium D-950 on ASUS P5WD2 Premium - !955x chipset, ICH7R south bridge).

9. syxguns

syxguns Active member

I went ahead and did the install on sever 2003 last night. The interesting thing was that I could use Shrink without a problem, but I could not burn a VTS file or an ISO image. I kept getting an unexpected error. I will have to do a little research on the settings that I have enabled on the server and find out why it does not recognize my LITE-ON drive as a DVD drive, AnyDVD keeps popping up a message saying that it doesn't recognize a DVD Drive on the system.

Then if I go in My Computer and select the properties on the drive it says that it is a DVD drive. Several things to work out! If I get everything working properly I will fill you in on the steps that I took to resolve the issue.

I have been running 2000 Server for so long, and never used my server for anything except a proxy on the network. After reading this post I decided to update 2000 to 2003, install the programs and see what happened. Hopefully in the next day or so I will find the time to work out the issue.

10. NuckNFuts

NuckNFuts Regular member

>syxguns

Are you wanting to use your server as a workstation now (configured to looks and feel like XP)? There will be many setting to make to make it more functional but well worth the effort when done. Also, as you may already know, DEP is enabled for all programs & services by defult. Change it to see if this helps. I turned it on like I mentioned earlier but as it worked for some it had issues for stuff like Alcohol 120%and Deamontools disc mounting. so for now I set it back to "essentiols" only.

Also do you know if their is a patch to upgrade Panda 2007 (installer or kernal) Antivirus for S2K3