1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd shrink cant copy protected discs?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by zachzchw, May 2, 2004.

1. zachzchw

zachzchw Guest

Anyone have any success backing up King of The Hill season 2, disc 2? Shrink gives me an error message it cannot copy it because it is copy protected, but disc 1 worked fine. Any way I can get by this?

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

use DVD Decrypter in full-disk rip first...

3. zachzchw

zachzchw Guest

Just tried that, too. Still no luck. I dont understand why the first disc worked fine, but the second disc wont.

4. 922588

922588 Guest

hi,

same problem with master & commander disc
    had to use dvd decrypter first in file mode then shrink the content then burn.
    Interesting to know why dvd decrypter is able to decrypt while dvd shrink is blocked with "copy protection error".

cheers

5. catfreak

catfreak Active member

I managed to backup King of the Hill season 2, disks 1,2 & 3. I was unable to backup disk 4. Upon closed inspection of the disk, it appears that there is a haze that almost looks like a pale stain on part of the disk. It seems to be internal to the disk. My problem copying the disk appears about 46% of the way through and I am convinced that it has to do with the second layer of the disk. I used "I Copy DVDs2" with "DVD43" as the ripper on disks 1,2,3. On disk 4 I've tried "I Copy DVDs2" and "DVD Decryptor" both with no success. Even "DVD Shrink" is unable to read more than about 46% of the disk. Maybe the disk is defective... it does play in my Sony DVD player, however. Maybe my computer's DVD reader/burner is at fault??

6. cgram7

cgram7 Member

The disk is prolly defective i don't think it's uncommon for retail DVD's to contain errors most stand alone DVD players read right through these errors,however the more sensitive DVD-ROM drive on your PC sometimes will not. Just my opinion.

Last edited: May 3, 2004
  7. Samantha

Samantha Member

Try playing the movie for a few seconds on your pc then see how you go. I had a few that said they were locked. But once I tried playing them, then ripped them they were fine :eek:)

8. Vular

Vular Member

Yup, playing the movie should do it, if not it's probably just the program, I backed up my Master and Commander yesterday with dvd shrink and burned it with dvd decrypter, easy as pie.

9. catfreak

catfreak Active member

I did try playing the disks in my PC. That's how I managed to get the first 3 to copy. Disk 4, however, has been a different story. It even has trouble playing certain parts in the PC (the disk is brand new) but it does play in my set top DVD player. Maybe my DVD burner is a cheepo... I'm going to replace it... any suggestions as to a brand?

10. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

catfreak: Try getting a cheap DVD-Rom to rip with as it saves on wear n' tear on any writer you may have.
    But if you are convinced that you do want to update your writer/burner then I would highly recommend a Pioneer107 [OEM will be a lot cheaper].

But still I would imagine that it was the disc you was trying to rip that's at fault , and not the hardware used ;-)

11. free4me

free4me Member

I want to backup DVD that are greater than 4.7 and is write protected. How could i do that?

12. zooco

zooco Regular member

I would try <DVD Shrink v3.1.7> first . If you got Nero installed , you can select the option to burn with Nero right in <DVD Shrink> .

If DVD Shrink fails to work for you , then tried <AnyDVD v3.6.11> then start <DVD Shrink> . I have followed this procedure and it worked in most cases. Good luck.

13. genebinme

genebinme Guest

I had the same problem with a couple of titles, where one disk copied without problem and the other stopped due to protection error. It seems that DVD Shrink stops the first time it encounters an error and says it cannot continue. But, DVD Decrypter allows you to tell it to try again, over and over. By telling it to keep trying, I have yet to find one I could not backup. It's kind of a pain because you have to attend it to be able to tell it to continue, but it did get the job done for me.

14. filthful

filthful Member

ok what I have found with this error is in the past yes playing the dvd will let it burn, yes using DvDdecriptor can make it work, but then I came to a stand still ?? what have I done wrong DvD shrink no longer works, so after doing a clean load of XP only installing DvD shrink and the XP updates, still the same problem, reload XP again this time without one update ** Windows XP HighMAT Support in CD Writing Wizard (KB831240)** and I have had no problem since, a friend also installed this update and has had the same problem, due to reloading I cant say if removing the update will fix this problem and I speak from my experience so this may not be the cause of the problem just a lot of coincidences =)