1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink cant open ripped movie

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Martyzzz, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Martyzzz

Martyzzz Member

Hi Ya'll, i was wondering if anybody could help me out. I just bought an dvd burner to back up my entire dvd collection and i use dvd shrink to do it > works fine if th eoriginal isnt to big ;)

Here is my problem, i already started a couple of weeks ago with rippeing my dvd's to my harddrive (with smartripper), the problem is that dvd shrink cant read from the folder ive ripped the dvd'd into.
    i only ripped the vob files and ifo file.
    when i tell dvd shrink what movie to encode and point out the folder dvd-s tells me that it cant find the ifo.

The solution is probably very simpel so can anyone help

THNX !!!

2. viper6699

viper6699 Guest

cant help you with how to do it with smart ripper.....
    but with DVDDecrypter (with mode set to file) it will create an image on your hd that shrink will open and let you do with as you please.

BTW.......decrypter is like shrink a freebie (though there is an optional donate available). guide for decrypter is availbe from the home tab at top the page.

hope this helps
    viper

3. Martyzzz

Martyzzz Member

Thnx Viper, I already got decrypter and know how to use it. Only thing is that a couple of my DVD's arnt here anymore (damage, with friends, etc.) so i have no other option than to make something of the files on my hdd.

Ill try to use decrypter on them and get back to ya !

4. Martyzzz

Martyzzz Member

Well as i thought, NOTHING ....

Hope someone knows the answer.

How can i turn a ripped dvd (with smartripper) from my hdd to a playable dvddisc (i only need the main movie sound and subs).

5. Discmania

Discmania Active member

This problem has been repeated in so many threads it's getting boring!! Here is the simple solution to your problem: DON'T RIP A MOVIE WITH DECRYPTER BEFORE USING DVD SHRINK! If you have DVD Shrink installed that's all you need to re-author, rip, backup and burn. Shrink uses it's own version of Decrypter so why confuse a process that's pretty simple?

6. birdyfoot

birdyfoot Member

If you have the original VOB files and their still all the same size as they where on the DVD than you can use IFOedit (freeware) to make a complete new set of IFO and BUP files. Just push the "create IFO" button select all the right directories and that's it. Then DVD shrink should be able to read them, or you could just use Nero to burn it.

7. Martyzzz

Martyzzz Member

First of all Discmania, i never was planning to first rip dvd to my hdd and than encode it with dvdshrink or any of those 1 click prg.
    I just didnt had a dvd burner yet so thats why i first ripped to hdd (with smartripper btw).
    I just asked a way to make shrink read my ripped vobs

But thnx anyway

2nd, birdyfoot ! THNX i just needed to hear the word IFOEdit.
    I'll just give it a go and let u know

8. Martyzzz

Martyzzz Member

btw seems like the video_ts.ifo file is missing....
    (deleted it because i didnt need it for divx conversion)

any idea to restore?

9. birdyfoot

birdyfoot Member

10. Discmania

Discmania Active member

I think you will just have to rip the original disc again if Shrink will not open it.

11. thedagger

thedagger Member

IFOedit will recreate new ifo and bup files for you !!!

12. koter

koter Guest

TO MARTYZZZ

DON'T USE TO MANY SOFTWARES.
    RIP,DECRIPT AND ENCRIPT WITH DVD-SHRINK (ALL THAT IS DONE AUTOMATICALY, JUST CLICK ON "OPEN DISK")
    IF WANT TO GET RID OF ADS OR OTHER UNWANTED CLIPS, RE-AUTHOR IT.
    THEN BURN WITH NERO..SE FINY, NO DRAMA

PS.ALWAYS BURN FIRST COPY TO DVD-+RW IF NO GOOD REDO IT AGAIN. AND THEN BURN TO DVD.DVD+R IS BETTER QUALITY.
    DVD-SHRINK WILL SHRINK DVD-9 TO DVD-5 AS WELL. S.P.

13. oracle

oracle Member

1. Ensure that the decrypted files on your hd are not dmmaged.
    2. If you plan to compile new dvd you must have ALL the orininal files on your hd.
    3. Then follow the rest of the already forwared suggestions

14. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

hey koter
    shut off caps please,no need to shout,all caps,are against forum rules
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]no matter where you go...there you are.
    you should never take life too seriously....you'll never get out of it alive!!
    if you can read this..you dont need glasses.[/small]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2004
  15. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

koter
    Thats a matter of opinion,thats based on no facts that ive ever ran across.The only issue about the - or + r is player compatibility.
    If you have some info about the quality of +r or-r,one being better than the other,then link me up please.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]no matter where you go...there you are.
    you should never take life too seriously....you'll never get out of it alive!!
    if you can read this..you dont need glasses.[/small]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2004
  16. viper6699

viper6699 Guest

hey guys........i see a lot of posts saying dont use anything but shrink as this will do the whole job!!!!

am i just being damn unlucky as i find that about 20% of the discs i back up wont be decrypted by shrink and i have to run it thru decrypter first or am i doing something wrong here?????

17. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Do you have the latest version of Shrink? What exactly are you doing i.e. are you re-authoring or just backing-up?

18. viper6699

viper6699 Guest

re-authoring.

but quite often i find shrink throws a "cant reed secror copy protected" type of error. if this happens i just use decrypter in the file mode to rip to hd then just use shrink on this ripped image. doesn't cause me any concern as it only adds about 10 mins to whole process. maybe i just been unlucky.

19. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

viper
    yep youve been unlucky,ive only found a few that shrink wont do.No matter what i do,reauthor,or full disc,shrink cuts it like a champ.Ive backed up over a hudred now,no problems.
    jim

20. viper6699

viper6699 Guest

just yesterday i hit the 40 mark for back ups and i guess i've had to run 8 through decrypter. but like i say......no big shakes.

compared the problems other guys seem to have to over come.....if that is my only hassle then i'll be more than happy.

viper