1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD shrink can't seem to find my target device...

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by saturn000, Aug 9, 2004.

1. saturn000

saturn000 Member

Hi Everyone!

Since I've only been backing up my DVDs for a couple of weeks, I'm probably definitely a newbie, but up until today, everything has been going well.

I've been using DVD Shrink 3.1 quite easily - backing up full disks with a temp folder on my desktop, then the files going straight to my Plextor PX-708UF. The problems started when my demo copy of Nero (the latest one from their site) expired. My brother gave me his copy of Nero Express 5.5.9.9, so I loaded that on and expected it to work as always. Nope.

The problem I'm having is that DVD shrink can't seem to find my target device. Whereas I used to have no problems selecting the Plextor from the drop down menu, now the only options I have are ISO Disc Image and Hard Disk Folder.

I've tried a lot of the obvious things, like putting in a different blank DVD-R, turning the burner and computer off and on, etc. The computer sees the drive and acknowledges that it is working okay. I've tried playing around with the Roxio burning software it came with, and that recognizes the burner, but won't rip, etc. I've also confirmed in my DVD Shrink preferences that files are to be burned using Nero.

Does anyone have any ideas of what is going wrong? Any help/suggestions would be deeply appreciated!

Thanks very much =-)

2. saturn000

saturn000 Member

Sorry! I know its not kosher to reply to your own thread, but I just tried something else -- and it didn't work. I launched Nero Express to see if I could get it to default to the Plextor burner, and it doesn't acknowledge it on the drop down menu -- just "Image Recorder" and my CD burner, "E: Mitsumi".

Hopefully this provides all you DVD burning genuises out there with more useful information =-)

Thanks!!

3. bigorange

bigorange Active member

I'm not sure what your problem is but it has to be in your version of nero since it worked before. I do know that Nero and Roxio fight like cats and dogs in a PC and most people need to remove one or the other.

You can load the newest version of Nero Ultra 6 for free, you must reload it every month til you buy, which I highly recommend. Eagletronics has it for 49.00(it's normally 79-99.00) Still you can try it out and see if that doesn't solve your problem. Nero's homepage has it, be sure and load update packs 1 and 2(don't get 3 and I would load 4 too).

I would remove Roxio since I prefer Nero 10 to 1 and most of this forum does too. Just try removing it and see if that helps, make sure you completely remove it, as it likes to leave traces.

Make sure you enable shrink to burn with Nero under edit>preferences>fileI/O and I'd say you are good to go.

You could also try burning with DVD Decrypter using shrink, just remember to rip in ISO mode, cos that's all decrypter will burn. Click on back up>select backup target>drop down menu>ISO image file, burn with decrypter

good luck...

4. saturn000

saturn000 Member

Thanks bigorange! I'll give those suggestions a try and report back =-)

Much appreciated!

5. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps it's because you installed an older version of Nero on top of your trial version. Try to uninstall all nero programs, run a registry cleaner, then re-install Nero.

Nero's cleaning tools:
    http://www.nero.com/us/631938356101755.html
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Dell 8250, Pentium 4 2.80GHz
    1.5 GB RDRAM, 200GB HD
    TDK 840G, Sony DDU-1612 DVD-ROM
    XP Pro, ATI All-In-Wonder 9000 Pro[/small]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2004
  6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Hey man! what's an Xcopy moderator doing in a shrink forum? LOL Congrats on the new promo, hope all is well.

7. saturn000

saturn000 Member

flip218 said:
    Hmmmm... actually, I did delete the old one first, but I'll look into those cleaners so see if its something I do actually need.

I'm looking forward to downloading the free version of Nero again... it doesn't appear to be available for this month yet.

Thanks again, everyone!

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

saturn, I just went to the nero homepage, the trial version of nero ultra 6 is there. It's on the left hand side under trial downloads. Here's the URl
    http://www.ahead.de/us/index.html

Also, there are several good registry cleaners out there for free that work fine. I like be clean
    BeClean Home Page:
    http://boozet.xepher.net/beclean

9. saturn000

saturn000 Member

Hmmm. I was using the .com URL, and just went to the .de one you provided and got the same information:

"Download of last published version
    Nero 6 Ultra Edition

Important notice:
    This is NOT a Trial Version!
    New free demo package will be available soon.

If you don't have a valid serial number of Nero 6 please don't download this packages!"

Okay... maybe I'm giving the site too much credit, but is it recognizing that I've already downloaded a trial and thus generating a page saying that the new trial isn't available yet? Are you suggesting that a registry cleaner would enable me to get at the trial again... or just make certain that no old roxio or nero files are kicking around? Check me out - conspiracy theory girl ;-) *ha ha*. At any rate, I'll try the nero site again later and see if anything changes.

Thnx!

10. buxton

buxton Regular member

Can you still download the updated .TXT file that has all the new Burners on it. Nero defaults to Image drive when it doesn't recognise the Burner. You used to be able to download an updated list of drives and put it in the Nero folder.

This is going back a few years - maybe they don't bother any more.

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Saturn, I went there again and it says you can download the old version or new one will be out soon.

Hmmmmm.....I'm befuddled(which is nothing new,lol)

"New free demo package will be available soon.
    » download the last published version here"

See what I mean, straight copy and paste.

12. saturn000

saturn000 Member

> "New free demo package will be available soon.
    > » download the last published version here"

Yup, been there, done that (before ever posting to this forum) and required a S/N... which I didn't have. I'll try it again sometime, but unfortunately I won't be able to get to it today... too much work to do =-)

Thanks for your interest in helping, though =-)

13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

saturn, just saw a post by craig from nero, they are experiencing difficulties right now with the trial download. It should be corrected in 3 days or so I believe.

14. saturn000

saturn000 Member

Thanks =-) I saw that posting too =-) I'm looking forward to it being up n' running again... but in the meantime, next b/u I'm going to try DVD shrink w/ DVD decrypter as has been suggested elsewhere. If those two work out, it'll be nice to just have two programs that work consistently with no more fiddling around =-)

15. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Hey saturn, how goes it,

[bold]"try DVD Shrink w/ DVD Decrypter as has been suggested elsewhere. "[/bold]I thought that was suggested here in this thread. LOL

Don't dismiss Nero to soon, shrink/decrypter work fine but I think Nero's burning engine is by far more stable than decrypter(not to mention all the other neat stuff it has). Don't get me wrong I love decrypter and it is my no. 1 ripper to the HD, but.......