1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD shrink compression

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by nflp, Sep 23, 2004.

1. nflp

nflp Guest

I backup using DVD shrink but rarely compress anything and never below 90% when I do. For those of you that compress, what kind of quality loss could I expect if I compressed to say 86% or 80% and used Deep Analysis? What point should I not compress to regardless of deep analysis (60%, 75%?) I want my backups to be as close to the orignals as possible with little to no loss in quality. I thought I would ask instead of wasting a bunch of blanks doing tests. Thanks.

2. Adder01

Adder01 Regular member

3. nflp

nflp Guest

Thanks for the heads up. I read the page on the DVD rebuilder and have a question on the CCE. If I read the guide right, you need to purchase the basic edition of CCE encoder for the DVD rebuild to work correctly. Is this correct? If not, how do you get it to work with the trial version and wouldn't that expire in 30 days? I was needing some clarification on how the DVD rebuilder works and what extra software I would need to get it to do the job, and how much I would have to spend to get it to work correctly. Thanks.

4. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Yes you need the full version to use it with DVD-RB. The trial version only encodes 3 minutes of video, which won't be enough to give you a good idea of the quality. Alternatively, if you look at the end of the guide you'll find a section on using the CCE SP trial to test it out with. Some people have reported problems using this version (the SP trial) and then bought the full version of CCE Basic and had no problems.

All the software required to use DVD-RB is listed and linked to in the guide. The only commercial software required is CCE, and CCE Basic was still $58 last time I checked.

5. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

QuEnc works with Rebuilder. It's free but it's still beta if I remember correctly. I'm currently trying to learn this combo.

6. 64026402

64026402 Active member

DVDshrink will look fine at 85-90%.

If your looking to keep the quality to the maximum then DVDrebuilder is a good option.
    Buy CCE basic for 58 dollars and you will not be dissapointed. CCE also has good support since it is what most use with DVDrebuilder.

As for shrink it does a good job to around 60% on the shrink scale, but you have to use the max quality settings with deep analysis which takes a few hours.

7. jubal

jubal Member

I have an anomaly with the latest version (3.2.0.15) of Shrink using "automatic compression" when reauthoring a dual layer disk to a 4.7GB DVD. After successful decryption I drag only the 4 main movie files to left pane. Right pane compression indicates average of 58% for all 4 movies and the green slider bar atop reads 4464MB. After reauthoring in both file mode (Video_TS) and ISO mode the resultant file(s) are 2213MB instead of the estimated 4464MB by automatic compression. Has anyone experienced this? If I manually adjust compression the resulant capacity corresponds exactly to the estimated capacity.

8. ozyredeye

ozyredeye Member

You could also change the settings to make to menu and the trailers and etxras at the lowest setting therefor giving you more % for the main movie
    M.

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Go to "Start", then "All Programs", then go to "DVD Shrink" then to DVD Shrink 3.2 and "Double-click" on that.

You said you uninstalled DVD Shrink and reinstalled it - when you uninstalled it, did you do it from here OR did you do it from Add and Remove Programs ??

We'll need the specs on your PC to help and further -

We'll be waiting to hear from you -

Pete

10. jubal

jubal Member

Issue resolved with 2 key observations. Observation #1) As mentioned above, changing the target size to a number slightly under 4464MB now results in an output file(s) that comports with the estimate given by the "Automatic Compression" setting. Observation #2) I've noticed in several forums advanced users asking newbies if they performed a "Deep Analysis." I thought this was a sophomoric question since the quality tab under preferences had "Perform DA prior to backup" checked by default. However, I realized that Shrink only does a shallow analysis after pressing "Load Disc." You then must select "Analysis" a second time to perform a "Deep Analysis" so that Shrink can accurately estimate compression during 'Backup' or 'Reauthor'.

I'm getting the hang of it. Thanks all.

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Hi jubal,

I would suggest (and I always do suggest) that you set your "target Size" to "Custom" and set the size to 4260MB. Here's my reasoning,

The difference of 4.7GB DVD and 4.36GB DVD -
    While the manufactures advertise the size of a DVD as a 4.7GB DVD disc it’s not true. It’s because they calculate what 1GB is differently. A DVD will hold 4700mb but that is not 4.7GB that is 4.38GB because 1GB is not 1000MB it is actually 1024MB. Manufacturers do this false advertising all the time so you think you are getting more than you are, They do it with Hard Drives also so if you buy a 200GB Hard Drive it isn’t really 190GB it is actually more like 189GB. (I think that’s closer) At any rate, we prefer to calculate the available writing space on a DVD as 4.36GB to include the reverse math and also provide a bit of room for overhead :)

Once again, a 4.7 DVD disc can only hold 4.38 GB of information. The “Slide-rule types” will tell you that you should write to the limit of 4.36GB to allow for overhead. I like to adjustment the “Target size” to around 4260MB. It’s not much difference but it will provide you with a little extra wiggle room and insure that you don’t write to the very edge of your disc. When setting the size to 4260MB you can actually see a tiny unburned ring on the outside of your next DVD backup. If you are stuck using "el Cheapo" media, this is one way to reduce your "coaster Percentage". The edge of the disc is the place where flaking sometimes occurs so that your movie might “stick” or “freeze” there.

Cheers,

Pete

12. jubal

jubal Member

Thanks for the tip Pete. I'll try 4260MB. Just tried backing up "Die Another Day" to custom target of 4454MB. The output file ends up around 3.3GB. Puzzling. Maybe your suggestion will fix it.

13. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Hi all. :)

Something I'd like to add to ScubaPete comments:

Blank DVD-R 4,706,074,624 bytes = 4.383GB = 4,489MB
    Blank DVD+R 4,700,372,992 bytes = 4.377GB = 4,483MB

As you can see, DVD Shrink default target size of 4,464MB gives a 20MB margin.
    This might indeed not be enough when using poor quality media.

However, my feeling is 4260MB as the target size is a bit extreme.
    It means a loss of 5%, and some DVDs that shouldn't need compression will end-up being compressed.
    I'd suggest starting at 4400MB, and lowering the target size to 4360MB if you still encounter problems.

I trust both my media and dvd burner combination, so I sometime burn 4474MB if that means no compression. ;)

14. jubal

jubal Member

Noted..and thank you.

I definitely get inconsistent results when using "Automatic Compression" for either Reauthor or Full Backup regardless of performing a DA or not. Custom compression seems to work much better.

15. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

No problem. ;)

I'm affraid I have no idea why you'd get such results. :/