1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dvd shrink copying speed vs CPU speed

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by slobdog, Jan 31, 2004.

1. slobdog

slobdog Member

Does anyone know what hardware mods may reduce the time shrink takes to back up DVDs with big compression?

It doesn't appear to be related to processor speed on my comp because I have done a quick experiment involving the clock on my processor:-

I shrunk 8mile DVD with shrink 3.1.4 with my processor running at stock speed (AMD xp2500 1.83Ghz - 166 FSB x 11) and it took 47 minutes 11 seconds

I then deleted the files, changed my CPU speed to 2.14 Ghz (178 FSB x 12) and ran shrink on 8mile and again it took 47 minutes 11 seconds

So anyone know what's the main control over copying speed? Is it my DVD drive? I use Pioneer 106 burner(latest firmware) to read and burn.

Would buying a faster DVD rom drive to read help?

Thanks for reading :)

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi slobdog,
    My Pioneer A06 performance is about the same.
    Nero info tool> Pioneer A06 ver. 1.07 read speed = 2.17X
    Cheap Sony CRX 300 read speed = 5.68X

Buy a nice Pioneer ROM and get 20 minute rip times, Make sure you have a lot of RAM and your IDE channels in DMA. I run 1024 MB RAM to be sure.

Frank

3. drchips

drchips Active member

4. slobdog

slobdog Member

thanks guys

I thought the drive might be the answer.

I checked DMA settings and even changed swapped my IDE cables to higher quality ones (ATA 100 to ATA 133) All made no difference.

I will check out pioneer ROM or similar drive and let you know results and then perhaps try more RAM if I'm still not satisfied :) (i have 512Mb crucial Pc2700 at mo)

5. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

Optical drives run at 100, not 133 so there would be no difference there, it would just be utilising 100 of the 133mb bandwidth.

Definately the drive, a cheap arse dvd rom will make an amazing difference from the dvd burner extraction speed. My a06 gets upto about 4MB/s at the very most, where as my old lg dvd rom gets up to 8.5MB/s+, that's a halving in rip time.

Bailey

6. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Slobdog, Here's a couple of things you might want to know. If your Pioneer is an OEM burner, it is probably locked into a 2.4x rip speed. Even with the latest PIONEER firmware this won't change. There are so called HACKED firmware out not by Pioneer that will unlock the drive rip speed to its max which should be about 12x on single layer discs and about 6x on dual layer discs. You can check rip speed with a free download of (dvdinfopro). Second thing, there is a problem between the new DVDshrink and Nero when the Auto burn is used. The problem in in Nero and it limits rip speed to about 1x. They suggest you uncheck the Auto burn feature for now until Nero releases the next version with the fix.
    Jerry

7. slobdog

slobdog Member

hey everyone, I found a Hitatchi gd-7500 ROM drive and tried that and straight away jumped from 2.7Mb/s to 3.7Mb/s rip speed. I found that my CPU was now working 100% so I guess the control over speed is now my cpu/memory timings

After a bit of tweaking of my processor I found that I got the best times with a higher FSB but slightly lower overall clockspeed then my best stable clock: 2.24Ghz @ 195 x 11.5 gave me 4Mb/s and 33min 20sec back up time on 7.6Gig DVD (w/o deep analysis)

I run my memory speed Asynchronous to my CPU speed, so I maybe I should try clocking my memory now for better speed.

Thanks for the tip about the firmware jerry. I'll look into it :)

8. mrbass

mrbass Member

9. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya,

and welcome to [bold]mrbass[/bold] (from one geek to another), cool site!!

From your tests, what % of CPU resource do you [bold]estimate[/bold] is taken up in performing I/O ?

Of that figure, how much is source I/O and how much destination I/O ?

With those figures, it should be possible to extrapolate to a theoretical CPU clock speed at which the capabilities of the source drive becomes the limiting factor.

I have a couple of SMP systems (P3-1000s) that I can max out without any problems, but results would not be comparable to yours (too many variables).

[bold]slobdog:[/bold]
    quite normal result, taking into account the I/O performance is closely tied to bus speed

Have Fun....

10. mrbass

mrbass Member

well from the tests I say:

Analysis with 3.1.4 was 100% CPU usage consistently....just awesome. 7,800KB/sec

So with 3.1.4 and higher the I could probably have a 3GHz or so..not sure. I have a P4 2.53GHz.

To sum it up the slower you CPU say 1GHz then the ripping speed isn't as important because your processor can only analyze or decode so much. However, if you have a screamer 3GHz or whatever then you want to not be waiting for your Input/Output to feed it to your CPU.

11. doghart

doghart Member

Wow I am jelous of your speeds.

I have 800 mhz PIII and 512 ram, takes about 2 hours to rip dual layerd dvd and 40 min to burn with plextor 8x burner. Burning at 2.4 because disc is 2.4 max.

I have oredered new PC with amd athlon 64 3400, 800mhz FSB and 1 Gig ram . Should be vast improvement yes?
    D

12. mrbass

mrbass Member

I started out basically with dvd2svcd using CCE on a PIII 450Mhz. I distinctly (I suck at spelling) remember backinup up 'Sound of Music' doing a 3 pass VBR which took a whopping 33 hours. Anyway I think I got an AMD 1700 and my SVCD encodes would take 6 to 10 hours depending on length of movie. Those were the days. Then Nov 2002 I ordered a sony dvd burner from dell..they never delivered and cancelled in feb 2003. So march 2003 I got a burner from circuit city finally. However, I was goofing around with instant copy and dvd2one well before I got a burner to test the waters even though I couldn't burn the output I was able to view the results with PowerDVD.

So I guess it's all perspective based and those who complain about 2 hours now I guess never did 10 hour SVCD encodes, etc. I still have friends when I tell them it takes me about 45 mins from start to complete burn their mind spins and can't imagine what a pain it is. Too many microwave minds out there I suppose.

Yeah you should have a killer system for sure. Just so you know back when dvd2svcd came out CCE obviously taxes your system to a grinding halt. Tons of people computers crashed because they were overclocking their CPU or memory timings, etc. I kinda see the same thing happening with transcodings to a lesser extent but they say "well it never crashed before". Well did they run CPUBurn for over an hour successfully?

People thought I was on crack playing RTCW one time cuz I saw rainbows and they didn't. I was overclocking my DDR 400 to like 412 or 433 (can't remember exactly) anyway it'll was rainbows. Here's a screenshot http://www.mrbass.org/rainbow.jpg

13. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi mrbass,

I suck at spelling too so I downloaded this cool spell checker that lets me correct any posts I might make. destiktly becomes distinctly, ciclic redendncy becomes cyclic redundancy, etc.

http://www.iespell.com/

Cheers,
    Frank

14. slobdog

slobdog Member

ok, I've been having fun over the past week or two and got some good things and bad things to report!

Firstly I sucessfully overclocked my pc2700 memory to 400Mhz by upping voltage and relaxing my timings a touch and this gave me a serious bandwidth boost and a rip rate of 5.5Mb/s

Not content with my new found speed I bought a lovely new Pioneer DVD Rom drive as Fasfrank suggested - the 120S.

Problem is that this drive won't back up DVDs - not with shrink anyway, I get an error message

"Copy protection error - the read failed because the sector is encrypted"

Argggh!!!! any clues anyone

thanks

15. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya,

Is the region code for your new drive set correctly?

Can you play a DVD in it? (using PowerDVD/WinDVD etc..)

Byeee...

16. mrbass

mrbass Member

17. drchips

drchips Active member

mrbass,

nice one, send a message to one of the admins to get it put as a Newbie Guide.

Just one thing: Ritek G04 media is very heavily recommended on these forums for later model Pioneer (the most common drive manufacturer here) as it works very well with them AND in many standalone players.

Otherwise, very nicely done, keep it up and you will be the Newbie's saviour ;)

Byeeee....
    Byeee...

18. pulsar

pulsar Active member

You'll do for me MrBass!

19. slobdog

slobdog Member

hey Mrbass, nice guide you've done there.

Well you guys were right I hadn't set my region code, but now I have and I've got another problem.

I get half way through encoding a Dvd e.g. 2fast2furious, which I have no problem wih on my other DVD drives, and then I get a programming error - exception occurred, or a read error.

I've checked all the things in the mrbass guide, I don't declare my CPU stable until it has been prime95 torture tested for 24hours, I'm memtest86 stable. So I'm coming to the conclusion that my 120S isn't happy with shrink? not with the firmware I have anyway, but I can't find any other firmware.

I'm gonnna try DVD decrypter to see if that works

20. mrbass

mrbass Member