1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd shrink crashing pc

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by killick, Feb 5, 2005.

1. killick

killick Member

processor is an amd athlon xp2500 1.82 ghz. HD is 80 gig maxtor. OS is xp pro c/w sp-2. 512 ram.
    During large movies like aliens 2.34 hours, about half in the pc crashes. Get either "winlogon.exe error" or Hardware monitor error. Works fine on reg movies. I noticed that the sides of the screen display were pulling in during encoding. cpu temp is 64. Firewall etc off. Asus a7v600 processor. Do you think more ram will help? I managed to get it to work by using the decript moviefiles+ipo,s method. Any idea whats happening?

2. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

64ºC is too hot. Where are you getting your temps? Try Motherboard Monitor would be a good second opinion on your temps.
    http://mbm.livewiredev.com

You might try running with the case open. How warm
    is the room? How many fans are on your case?

3. larrylje

larrylje Active member

have you possibly overclocked your CPU? I have a 2500XP and have overcloked it. When doing movies my comp would shut down and restart. So I just slowly backed off the over clocking of the CPU till it got stable. Just a sugestion.

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Your CPU usage will hit the 100% mark when doing Burns so everyone here is correct. No muti-tasking, make sure nothing is running in the background, disable your broadband if running it. In other words, just the bare bones needs to be running. Check out this link for a program called filemon.exe. It will run in the background and show you exactly what is running on your PC, even if you cleared your task manager of everything. Only use it before you want to do a burn, not during. It's freeware.

“http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/filemon.shtml”

5. killick

killick Member

Excellent advice guys. Im using motherboard monitor to get the temp. of 64. Room temp is 24. I have downloaded filemon.exe and will give that a go. Your over my head on the overclocking, do you have a link to a guide for it? Which one should I tackle first?

6. larrylje

larrylje Active member

If you dont know hwo to overclock then chances are it isnt the problem. I just was asking if you over clocked your cpu. if so that could be your problem but since you dont know much about overclocking then ignore my advice it more then likly wont pertain to your problem.

7. Noqoilpi

Noqoilpi Regular member

If you go the barebones route (I would). Try running msconfig.

a. Click Start
    b. Click Run
    c. In the box type msconfig
    d. Click OK
    e. Click on the Startup tab
    f. Click on Disable All
    g. Click on Apply
    h. Click on the Services tab
    i. Check the box for Hide All Microsoft Services
    J. Uncheck all boxes that have to do with your Internet Security, Antivirus and anything you can do without (not video, sound programs, etc)
    l. Click Apply
    m. Click Close
    n. Click on Restart
    o. After Restart you'll have a System Configuration Utility box pop up, click OK.

To reset to normal
    a. Click Start
    b. Click Run
    c. In the box type msconfig
    d. Click OK
    e. Check the box for Normal Startup

8. bunnyrip

bunnyrip Regular member

All good advice here, I have also found that DVDShrink uses a LOT of pagefile(Virtual Memory) Try increasing as much as possible. This depends on your system configuration. I upped mine to MAX. It took care of the issues. I hope this helps. P.S. MY "Max" is paging file set to minimum 1536 megabytes, maximum 4096 megabytes. I have Windows XP and 1 Gigabyte of DDR 400 RAM.80 Gig HDD. Pentium 4 3E Prescott CPU.