1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink creates the DVD files too large.

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by westies, Mar 15, 2005.

1. westies

westies Member

Hello, I was using DVD shrink to backup my Opeth Lamentations DVD and for some reason, when it finished encoding the DVD, the total file size would end up larger than the size of a DVD+/-R.

[​IMG]

As you can see, it says that it will create the DVD 4,463MB large, but it ends up being 4,559MB as seen here:

[​IMG]

2. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

Go into edit>preferences> got to the bar that has automatic on it change it to "custom" and set it to 4300. Now no DVD should be over 4300gb

3. westies

westies Member

Is there anything else that can be done without having to compress the DVD even more?

4. crozzman

crozzman Regular member

You can go into reauthor mode and do main movie only. Or just simply insert still images into the menus and extras.

5. PogChamp

PogChamp Guest

I am trying to copy boy meets world. it refuses to shrink it enough, I even put the custom ratio to 4300 and it still sets it higher.

6. crozzman

crozzman Regular member

If the DVD you are burning is that large, you will see that DVD Shrink cannot compress it to where you want it, hence you see the slight red on your ratio settings. You will have to get rid of some of your extras, menus, etc. or you can go to reauthor, which is what I sometimes do, and only copy the main movie.

I just finished "The Incredibles" tonight and my ratio was at 4329...above the 4300. I did a reauthor and completed the movie...but I'm sure that's for another thread that will be coming up soon.

Who needs all that crap about the making of featurette, behind the scenes. Well, it's nice to have, but in the long run you can't beat a DVD with minimal compression. Most movies you can do and keep everything, there are those you can't.

BUT...there is always the trick of running it through DVD Shrink TWICE. Ahhh...there's an idea you might want to try.

7. PUNJABEE

PUNJABEE Member

I am having this same problem. I am trying to copy a Dragon Ball Z DVD, and when I set everything to "Automatic" compression, I still see some red in the line.

I've removed all I can, but there really isn't all that much more in the DVD other than a 10 meg subtitle file for Chinese language.

There is only one spoken language (Japanese) and the English subtitles are only about 5 megs or so. There are no special features, extras, previews, etc. Just 15 episodes of the show.

How is this happening? Even when I try to set the compression to "custom" so I can shrink it even more, it STILL doesn't work, as I can't slide the compression slider any further.

I made an ISO file of another Disc, and it didn't say anything about it being to large, but then when I tried to burn it, Nero said it was too large! So I figured I could run it through DVD shrink once again, but DVDShrink couldn't find the ISO file. :( anyone have any ideas?

8. lobstah48

lobstah48 Guest

car.mike
    4300gb...that's a lot of data!