1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD SHRINK ( cyclic redundancy check error )

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by harington, Dec 26, 2004.

1. harington

harington Member

ok iv read and read about everyones problem with dvd shrink and the data error cyclic redundancy check error.
    I'd like to say first, i dont believe atleast in my case it has anything to do with a scratched dvd. In my case I'm using windows xp with sp2, and a sony 710a dual layer. When i nsert my dvd and begin dvd shrink it will open disk and start to analize the dvd, at around 15 % in some cases, it will freeze and eventually say the cyclic redundancy check error. Also had the same problem at the same spot on my friends computer. Also my iv tried with 2 different burners and one of them is brand new purchased today. These dvds are brand new straight from the box, the last 3 dvds iv had this problem with were shaun of the dead, resident evil 2, and little black book. Now when i stick in a older dvd like meet the parents, i had no problem, so my guess is that there is a issue with the " new " dvds that are being released. Anyones comment on this problem including any solutions, if anyone has found one, please let me know. Much thanks.

2. beltline

beltline Regular member

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

harington, welcome to aD,

Try this -

Having trouble ripping your original DVD ?

If it's a new DVD with the "Jumping Jack" logo

AFA the Bourne Supremacy, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and one or two others - In "Unreferenced materials" select title 1 menus, there is a "Boy" running (in green shorts too). By checking him out in the "Preview" screen, you can see his outfit too. Sometimes DVD Shrink gets past it sometimes not -

If you don't make it past it then go to that Unreferenced materials select Title 1 menus – Then go to "Compression" select "Custom Ratio" then select "Still image" then try DVD Shrink again, it should slide right on through, like a hot knife through tender Turkey –

Let me know if that was the problem -

Pete

4. harington

harington Member

i cant get to the " unref. material " part because dvd shrink stops with the error during the initial anyalisis

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

I mis-understood -

No worries, it's just one DVD that Shrink cannot rip So, use DVD Decrypter in the "File" Mode -

Then use "open files" in DVD Shrink after putting all the files in a folder named VIDEO_TS and process as usual -

Enjoy,

Pete

6. beltline

beltline Regular member

DVDdecryptor won't work with RE2 unless you import the new PSL for it: http://forum.dvddecrypter.com/index.php?showtopic=14891&st=0&p=88689&#entry88689

That's straight from dvddecryptor's forum site and from member "Lightning UK". It states "Author of DVD Decrypter" under his member name. So I'm assuming he's ledgit.

However I can't verify any of this since I haven't received RE2 yet. The site also mentions similiar problems with Little Black Book. The other DVD you were having problems with.

7. harington

harington Member

well pete i tryed dvd dcrypter in file mode like you suggested for re2, and i got this error :
    I/O error !
    scsiStatus : 0x02
    interpretation : check condition

CDB: 28 00 00 00 8D 10 00 00 01 00
    Interpretation: Read(10)-sector: 36112

Sense area: 70 00 03 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 11 05 00 00 00 00
    Interpretation: L-EC Uncorrectable error

8. beltline

beltline Regular member

harington, RE2 can be riped to hard drive using vobblanker, then dvdshrink to decrease the size, then your burning program of preference. You can get vobblanker for free here:

Get VobBlanker from: www.posunplugged.com/jsoto and click on VobBlanker.exe

Here is a nice guide to using it:

http://www.users.totalise.co.uk/~yyyyyy/vob_blanker/vob_blanker.html

If you still want to use dvddecryptor for RE2 you will have import the new PSL file:

Pop the DVD in your drive, cancel out the automated pop-ups, and open up DVD Decrypter.

Now on DVD Decrypter, click "File" and go to "Protected Sectors List". It will pop over with "Import" and "Export". Click on Import and an explorer box will open. You have to find where you downloaded the PSL file. It will probably be in My Document or on the desktop. Once it is found, click the 'open' button.

See here for further reference: http://forum.dvddecrypter.com/index.php?showtopic=14891&st=0

9. harington

harington Member

ok beltline, i have inserted re2 and have opened up vobblanker, after that im lost, in short can you tell me what i need to do on vobblanker get what i need to use dvdshrink to burn re2, thanks !

10. beltline

beltline Regular member

This page can better explain it then me. Scroll about 1/3 down the page and just start at the vobblanker part to get the movie to your hard drive: http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=247372

Basically you'll need to open your VIDEO_TS.IFO file that is in your VIDEO_TS folder where your movie is located. Then you'll click the bottom browse button to place the file somwhere that you can open with shrink later. Then hit PROCESS. There's several that have been successful using it for RE2. You can check out this thread: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/3/136566

I'm not going to lie and say that I've used this method. However many at the above thread have tried it and said it worked. The only other methods I've seen that worked for RE2 are importing the new PSL into dvddecryptor and another program that runs $55. I would try importing the PSL before the latter.

11. harington

harington Member

yeah iv did what it says but when i hit process, i see the vob files turn gray but nuttin else happens, lol. Its not that i want re2 that bad, but i mean iv been running into this problem with alot of the newer movies coming out, like shaun of the dead, little black book, wicker park, And about 5 other titels i cant remember offhand that come out recently

12. beltline

beltline Regular member

harington, RE2 hasn't came out here yet so I can't give you a clear picture on it. I believe ScubaPete is due to get it any time now. And my money's on him finding a nice easy go around. I burn the same way as you and I believe I fixed my issue with Shaun of the dead by using ScubaPete's "Unreferenced" suggestion. Keep watching the boards and I bet a easy solution is out by Tuesday.

13. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

I'm the type that hates to Reauthor dvds, so i try my best to keep everythink intact. Be forwarned that [bold]Garden State[/bold] is another dvd that DVD Shrink is having problems with. DVD Decrypter has a hard time with this one too. It seems to stop ripping either at the beginning or near the end.

I kept on trying to backup and the 3rd time it went through.

14. harington

harington Member

yeah iv been at this all night, but both re2 and little black book give me problems, with shrink and with decrypter, with decrypter it always seems to run into 2 problems so it skips both files automatically, so i cant even get it ripped to use vobbreaker. Ill hope dvd shrink comes out with a new fix version to take care of these problems happenening with the newer dvds.

15. cmfhegs

cmfhegs Member

just to let you guys know, the "jumping jack" is Billy Elliot. sccuba pete's method has always worked for me, thanks scuba pete.

16. racviac

racviac Guest

Is there anybody who could help me with this one: I keep getting this awful "cyclic redundancy check" error message during DVD analisys with DVDShrink 3.1.3, while the movie playback is sloppy and freezes very often. I've replaced my DVD-ROM (LG) with combo drive (HL-FT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4521B), but the problem remained. Ironically, my friend next door bought the very same device - on exactly the same platrform! (AMD Athlon 2500+, MSI motherboard, Windows XP Pro) - and he's enjoying the smoothest and absolutely spottless DVD playback (I've played my own disks on his machine)!? Don't tell me to update the driver, 'cause I've done it twice already! Please, HELP ME!!!

17. racviac

racviac Guest

By the way, my LG combo is set as secondary master. After reading this and some other forums, i've checked the DMA access seting and saw that it is "PIO only". After uninstalling and reinstalling the Secondary IDE controller, I've succeeded in setting it to Ultra DMA MOde 2, but the problem with CRC errors still remained the same. I'm loosing hope...

18. harington

harington Member

whats scubas method, " jumoing jack " ? , im still kinda new to this but me and tons of others i think are losinghope in backing up re2, ect.

19. bigdrew

bigdrew Member

How do i use vobblanker?

20. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Here's an easy way to Rip Resident Evil 2 -
    DVD Decrypter could always do the job, Decrypter just had to be shown what files were the bad files so that it could bypass them.. Lighting U.K. the author of DVDD (DVD Decrypter) just had to design a "patch". It's about 6 posts up from the bottom of this thread -

http://forum.dvddecrypter.com/index.php?s=9b13ab890c241fd1486f40771c02833a&showtopic=14891&st=0

Right-click the "Attached file DVD_VIDEO.PSL" and save it to your Desktop. Next open up DVD Decrypter, go to "File" then "Protected Sectors List" then "Import". Browse until you find your downloaded DVD_VIDEO.PSL file and click, "OK" and those files will automatically be "gobbled up" by DVDD so when you get ready to rip RE2 it will just slide on through.

Once again it has been proved that no matter what pple think of to encrypt something, someone else will find a way to break it :)

BigDrew,

Here try this -

http://www.users.totalise.co.uk/~yyyyyy/vob_blanker/vob_blanker.html

Good Luck,

Pete

Last edited: Dec 28, 2004