1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink "DATA ERROR"

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by dbldare, Dec 16, 2004.

1. dbldare

dbldare Guest

I've been getting a "Data Error (cyclic redundancy check)." error. What's the situation with this? I've been trying to copy a few DVD's today, and I've been getting the error every once in a while. I'm trying to burn Super Size Me right now and it's giving me the error consistantly.

It's Shrink 3.2 and I'm running XP. I've burned plently of my movies and it's only until reciently that I've been getting this error. I also haven't changed media to get these errors, I have several dozen copies made with these "generic" disks. That's not the issue because I get the error in the read process not the write process. What could this be?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

dbdare,

Crappy / dirty media is still crappy / dirty media. Clean the discs and when you have a chance, run a laser lens disc cleaner through. A dirty laser lens shows up as dirty media - It's rub-A-dub-dub at the ole' dbdare household :)

Cheers and Happy Holidays,

Pete

3. Discmania

Discmania Active member

The message you get usually results from a slightly damaged disc which Shrink cannot read correctly. To confirm this try ripping with Decrypter instead - you will probably get the same message or similar. Cleaning it up might help but usually there is nothing you can do but accept that it will not copy. This is a good example of being careful with pre-recorded discs and handling them correctly so as to avoid any microscopic damage.

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello dbldare, Sound like your original discs are either,dirty,scratched,breaking down, or Production defects "bum discs". I took some notes on guru "scuba pete" on using dvd decrypter on these problematic "original dvds".I still haven't gotten them to rip with decrypter.I am still playing around on them.On one of the discs,there are 2 small blue spots in between the layers. Give your discs a good look. BBmayo posted a handy item at "best buy" that repairs damaged disc for around $50.00,on yesterday's dvd-r media forum.Do those dvd's you are trying to backup play ok in your stand alones? The crc errors I get on a couple of my originals Pause and skip in my stand alone player and on my pc player. Hey scuba pete, That "original" disc that I have 2 blue spots in between the layers,Is that a sign that it is breaking down?

5. dbldare

dbldare Guest

Thanks for the replies all! The disk does look pretty crappy! Decrypter is doing the same thing too. It's happend with a couple of others as well, so I'm going to try cleaning my player too. Looks like a rub-a-dub-dub at the 'ole dbldare household is right! LOL!

Thanks again everyone!
    Mike