1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink/Decrypter Guide question:

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by joniliff, Nov 3, 2004.

1. joniliff

joniliff Member

Why does your guide suggest not burning with Nero? Was that just for the 'older' version of Shrink/Decrypter, or the 'older' version of Nero?

TIA, John

2. asystole

asystole Member

I dont know about guide but i have spent money on dvd wizard pro and xcopy xpress gold with disgusting results (to many coasters) downloaded dvd shrink three days ago after looking for help here with xpress copy and havent had one problem yet burning with dvd shrink and Nero v6.3 From what i read it says you should have nero v5 or higher. It takes a few minutes longer than xpress but like i said no coasters!!! plus you get all extras and menus unless you choose to leave them out.....asystole

3. bigorange

bigorange Active member

joniliff,

[bold]Why does your guide suggest not burning with Nero?[/bold]

What guide says this? I would be interested in checking that out. The default setting in shrink is to burn with Nero, that in itself is a contradiction of what you're saying. I use Nero to burn for all my apps that don't have a burner, and even some that do :>)

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][bold]GO VOLS![/bold].Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,1024MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
  4. joniliff

joniliff Member

bigorange...I've downloaded 3 separate guides for DVD Shrink/Decrypter. The two by ScubaPete, in responses to others, says "...under the "File I/O" tab "un-tick "Enable burning with Nero"... In two different guides from ScubaPete it says that. In the "Copy entire DVD-9 movie to a single DVD-R using DVD Shrink" guide, it says "...optionally DVD burning software..." THAT guide goes on to suggest burning with Nero, but not using Decrypter. Since I'm having poor success copying my DVD movies, I am trying all the 'recommended' suggestions. Is there a 'final' guide/recommendation to copying DVD movies, with recommended software?

John

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Well, I don't know about recommended software, but here is a simple shrink guide i wrote that if you follow it you will have a perfect backup everytime.

I think Pete's comment about unticking nero auto burn might have had to do with burning with decrypter or copy to dvd instead. Pete likes Nero so i'm sure he wasn't dissing it.

-open shrink

2-click on open disc, then choose your source video(disc)from your drive/ if you're using files on your HD then click on open files and choose your folder with your source video files.

3-wait for shrink to analyze(about a minute) and the new screen will come up

4-here you can go into extras by clicking on the + mark.

5-You can change compression on each or substitute still image for each until done. Each can be previewed in the preview window below.

5a- you can raise compresssion or substitute a still image on all extras at once before you hit the + mark if so desired. By using the still image you maintain a working menu.

6-if you only want the movie and don't care about a menu, hit re-author, when screen comes up click and drag anything from the right side to the left side that you want to keep and then you will go to set up the analyze and burn features.

7-To set up burn w/nero click on edit > preferences > fileI/O > enable burn with nero.

Also here you can go to stream selections and choose english from both drop down menus, this will eliminate foreign audio tracks that can take up quite a bit of space.

You also pick your DVD size here from the drop down menu. You can also choose custom and type in your size(I recommend 4300 to prevent burning to the edge). I would also recommend default for all other settings in the preferences window.

8-hit backup

9-under target device choose either file to your HD,or your burner. If you wish to burn with decrypter instead of nero, choose iso image file and burn with decrypter

10-choose your temporary folder/ shrink will create this or you can make one(before you start) and name it and put it where you can find it.

11- under quality settings(I use this if it's over 10% compression,you must make your own choices here, this will take much longer, but is worth every minute!)check deep analysis and adaptive error compensation. Some say extra smoothness delivers the best quality.

12-hit OK and come back to a finished DVD, leave your PC alone, do not do anything on it while performing backup. No multitasking!

I would add that leave menu alone if you want a working menu, and leave movie alone unless there are 2 movie titles, then pick the one you want(fullscreen or widescreen)and substitute a still image for the other one.

I would add media is extremely important,it can cause the best software not to work. Get Ritek G04 or G05 -R or Ritek Ridata 4x +R, make sure they are branded!

You can get them here at Meritline for under .50 each w/free shipping:

http://store.yahoo.com/meritline/ritek-g04-dvd-r-dvde-blank-media-disc-discs.html

6. joniliff

joniliff Member

bigorange...thanks for the input...

OK, did that, good burn! I burned one with decrypter and one with Nero...both came out good. I guess I'll stick with Nero (?) though not exactly sure why! On your reply, I still have a couple of questions:
    open shrink

[bold]5a- you can raise compresssion or substitute a still image on all extras at once before you hit the + mark if so desired. By using the still image you maintain a working menu.[/bold] I'm going to have to experiment with this...sounds good, but not exactly sure what you're saying, until I try it.

[bold]6-if you only want the movie and don't care about a menu, hit re-author, when screen comes up click and drag anything from the right side to the left side that you want to keep and then you will go to set up the analyze and burn features.[/bold]Again, only experimentation will answer my questions...not sure what I can leave out!

[bold]9-under target device choose either file to your HD,or your burner. If you wish to burn with decrypter instead of Nero, choose iso image file and burn with decrypter[/bold]Why would I choose 'file to HD'? What determines your preference for burning with decrypter or Nero?

[bold]...check deep analysis and adaptive error compensation. Some say extra smoothness delivers the best quality.[/bold] OK, I'll follow that advice, thanks...some say 'extra smoothness' and still others say 'sharp'...those certainly should not produce the same results! Is it that there isn't much difference, or "...the eye of the beholder." Which do you prefer?

[bold]12-hit OK and come back to a finished DVD, leave your PC alone, do not do anything on it while performing backup. No multitasking![/bold] No problem here...I've finally devoted one machine to copying only, and do nothing else on it!

[bold]I would add that leave menu alone if you want a working menu, and leave movie alone unless there are 2 movie titles, then pick the one you want(fullscreen or widescreen)and substitute a still image for the other one.[/bold] OK...how do I 'substitute a still image' in place of...or is this to obvious to answer? I'll still play.

Thanks again for the time and inputs!

John

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]I'm going to have to experiment with this...sounds good, but not exactly sure what you're saying, until I try it.[/bold]

The little + mark enables you to go into each extra specifically which you can look at with the preview slider. Ones you want to keep, click on individually, raise compression by using the drop down menu on the rght. If you don't want to keep choose substitute stiil image from the same dropdown menu on the right.

If you want all extras, do not click on +mark and just raise compression from the same dropdown menu on all at once after just clickimg on extras, or remove all extras at once by using still image the same way and you never open the extras individually. OK?

[bold]Again, only experimentation will answer my questions...not sure what I can leave out![/bold]

Exactly, after you hit re-author tab at the top everything will be listed down the right side. Click and drag whatever you want to keep to the left side. Remember, no menu with this option

[bold]Why would I choose 'file to HD'? What determines your preference for burning with decrypter or Nero?[/bold]

Lots of times you may want to work with those files before you burn them with another app or even run them thru shrink again if they are extremely large. Or make more than one copy, etc. etc. etc. There are all kinds of reasons to write to the HD, you can even burn with a different burner besides the 3 shrink will auto burn with.

I always use nero's burner, Nero express, even when using other files. It's so damn easy and it automatically picks the files it needs to burn so you can add the ENTIRE folder and let burn express do it's thing. Your done..

An example of writing to the HD, I use DvdReMake because it's results are astounding working with menus, but it doesn't handle audio and subtitles, which shrink does. So,I run shrink, let it do it's thing and write to the HD and then use that folder with DRM before i go and burn with Nero. OK?

[bold]Is it that there isn't much difference, or "...the eye of the beholder." Which do you prefer?[/bold]

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and this is as subjective as it gets. Most agree however, that max smoothness is the overall best settig. Sharpness is good for action movies but not black and white movies. But as a rule of thumb, I go with Max smoothness. You may want to play around and see what works best for you.

[bold]OK...how do I 'substitute a still image' in place of...or is this to obvious to answer? I'll still play.[/bold]

OK I explained this earlier in this post but it is also explained in the guide. Click on what you wish to edit. Go to the right and hit the drop down menu, you'll have several options-automatic compression, custom compression, substitute still image, substitute still pic, etc. By using substitue you save menu function and eliminate the extra, by using custom compression you keep extra but raise compression on it to reduce compression on the main title.

After all, I want my quality to be in the movie, if I have extras I wish to keep, their quality isn't as important, cos I won't watch them everytime i see the movie or at all having seen them once. I ALWAYS use substitute still image on removing previews, which I never keep. Who needs 'em, they are either old and have been outdated or they will become outdated soon. Since they can take up quite a bit of space I always remove them and foreign language tracks(which you can get shrink to remove automatically as explained in the guide.

Whew! I think that covers it,LOL :>).

_X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][bold]GO VOLS![/bold].Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,1024MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2004
  8. joniliff

joniliff Member

bigorange ...Great input, thanks a lot. The guides are relatively simple and/or generic, and much to learn even if you follow them closely. You notes are added to my notes, for a good burning experience.

Thanks again, John

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Your welcome, that's what we are here for :>)

10. asystole

asystole Member

bigorange

what happens to extras and or menu if i choose "still image", if i understand right it "removes" extras and menu? Is menu still usable?

How far can i compress a movie if i use and run max smoothness and the extra analysis? Will it maintain quality with high compression.

And last but not least what effect does burning to edge of disk do? I have burnt many to edge but no problems YET. DOes a problem arise ever. I keep reading some other threads that reccomend keeping them at 4.333.

Thanks
    new to dvd burning
    asystole

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]what happens to extras and or menu if i choose "still image", if i understand right it "removes" extras and menu? Is menu still usable?[/bold]

The extras will have a pic stating this video has been removed when you go to it with your remote. Yes, the menu still functions, thus why if you want a working menu you use this option instead of re-authoring. You can also raise compression on what you do keep to further reduce compression on the movie.

[bold]How far can i compress a movie if i use and run max smoothness and the extra analysis? Will it maintain quality with high compression[/bold]

I don't like going over 35-40% with shrink 3.2, but a lot of people are happy with it up to 50%, that is a personal call. I use RB/CCE for anything over 30%. The best thing to do is compress it at higher levels and see if it's quality is good for you. The new Shrink does a good job, especially at higher levels with the new quality settings, I'm just a little picky cos my TV is a 57" HDTV.

You can always put extras on one DVD and the main movie on another and keep both while retaining quality if the compression is too high too suit you. The menu will still work on both discs.

[bold] And last but not least what effect does burning to edge of disk do? I have burnt many to edge but no problems YET. DOes a problem arise ever. I keep reading some other threads that reccomend keeping them at 4.333.[/bold]

If it comes down to quality because of too much compression then I will burn to the edge(like 4.37), but for the most part I set mine at 4280 to 4300. The problem is as they are handled fingers tend to get on the edges, this is bad for the discs over a period of time. You're only talking a small difference here as most discs are 4.37. If you are the only one handling them you could be alright, but I have family that watches them and I know they aren't as careful as I am :>(

Last edited: Nov 5, 2004
  12. NAPADREW

NAPADREW Member

1. How long does it take to burn a standard lenght
    movie. I have dvd x copy express and when i first
    started burning movies the first 2-3 took about
    15-20 to read and the same to burn but now for
    some reason it takes 45 minutes or longer to read
    and the same to burn but before it finishes burning
    at about 90-95 % it stops and says disc error on
    the computor whats up?

13. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold] How long does it take to burn a standard lenght
    movie.[/bold]

Impossible to answer. Different programs take different times, not to mention different settings, encoding, transcoding, etc. Also, length of a movie doesn't necessarily determine size of files. A 2 hour movie could take less to do than a 90 minute movie, depending on file size. Then you add bonus features to the mix plus the aforementioned, it's just impossible to say without a specific app, specific settings, specific read and write speeds, specific movie, etc.

Is the disc error on your media or the movie you are copying? Is it a CRC error? That usually means dirty or scratched discs.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2004
  14. asystole

asystole Member

bigorange

thanks for the info about splitting extras and movie. I understand with family for my two children like to leave finger prints also. You say new shrink newer than v3.2.0.15, if so where can i get it..Thanks again for info..Asystole

[bold]NAPADREW[/bold]

As owner of Dvd wizard pro and DVD express gold I would recommend dropping it and going for DVD SHRINK. They both worked good for me at first then the problems started to arised and i jumped from one to the next. I came here for help after $100 spent on programs and realized the experienced burners here are much worth listening to and just gave shrink a try, I havent looked back since. As well as no errors or COASTERS since dvd shrink. Just give it a try, its free so all youll do is waist a little time if you dont like it.

Asystole

15. bigorange

bigorange Active member

asystole,

LOL, no there isn't a newer version of Shrink,LOL

We used Shrink 3.1 for soooo long that when the much anticipated, greatly improved Shrink 3.2 finally came out everyone differentiated the two by calling them old shrink and the new shrink.

Old habits die hard, I suppose, altho I still see newbies D/Ling shrink 3.1 from time to time :>)

16. NAPADREW

NAPADREW Member

Alright this is becoming a real pain in the ???
    what is the simplist least amount of steps and the fastest program for coping a movie?

17. bigorange

bigorange Active member

NAPADREW,

You ask how long does it take to copy a movie and you have a disc error, what's up. And we are supposed to have a nice, neat, simple answer from that?

Did you ever think what a pain it is to help somebody when you're not there to see what they are doing wrong, what could be wrong with their system, what is their system, media they are using, apps they are using, and a hundred other things that can go wrong in DVD backup?

Noe of us get paid to do this, we volunteer our own time to help others backup their DVD collection because we enjoy it. We don't ask for thanx or appreciation, but we certainly don't need attitude.

How would you propose we find out the info?

Unfortunately DVD backup isn't hitting a "record" button. There's lots of programs, lots of methods, lots of systems and compatibility issues, and the most important of all, operator error. And we're not there to see any of it, all we have to go by is what you tell us. And that's a pain for you?

OK, so be it,

AnyDvd and Intervideo DVDCopy 2.

Is that too big a pain?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2004
  18. NAPADREW

NAPADREW Member

Who's got the attitude buddy all im asking is a question. if you feel its to big a deal to answer
    keep your mouth shut.

19. joniliff

joniliff Member

Well, I don't think it's a big deal. Here's your answer...use your computer for a doorstop, go to Wal-Mart, or wherever, buy your DVD movies and enjoy. Spend your extra money on popcorn.

20. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

NAPADREW

If you can't act an adult and show some resect then I suggest you keep your mouth shut. bigorange asked for more information in order to better help you. What's wrong with that?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2004