1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink/Decrypter Guide question:

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by joniliff, Nov 3, 2004.

1. asystole

asystole Member

With dvd shrink youll spend 45 minutes with no errors.. just swallow the pride of spending money on crap and download a great program for free..........

2. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold]asystole,[/bold]

Just wondering, have you tried the new quality settings in Shrink for higher compression levels? The two pass encoding and the adaptive error compensation?

The reason I ask is tho you're right in that shrink takes about 45 minutes regularly, but if you use the new settings it takes about 1 1/2 to 2 hours.

If you have used these settings forget I said anything, but if you haven't you owe it to yourself to give them a shot. It really makes a difference on larger amts. of compression. I use it for anything over as little as 10%-15%. Others say it doesn't make a difference until about 20%. It's a judgement call, but you definitely outta try it :>)

[bold]joniliff[/bold] Thanx, LOL ;>)

3. asystole

asystole Member

bigorange

I have tried it once thus far with shrek 2 and did something wrong. The dvd played the menu but stoped when i played the movie at the begining after the studio opening...so i havent tried it again yet but plan to play with it some more, for i have only been doing this for a week now.

Question. You opinion in media quality? What do you use and or prefer? I have been using either memerox or verbatium either had done ok, but i am new so what do i know in quality of media. They are close and easy for me to get. ANy suggestion on different media to try. I see alot like ridata but on the same hand i see some say they also have had problems with them....
    Thanks for you time
    asystole

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Memorex are CRAP, which verbatims? They have some good quality media.

Get Ritek G04 or G05 -R, or the Ritek Ridata 4x +R. They costs under .50 each w/free shipping here:

http://store.yahoo.com/meritline/ritek-g04-dvd-r-dvde-blank-media-disc-discs.html

Make sure they are BRANDED. I've used these for over 700 burns and not one problem(one bad disc once, I spotted the spot and didn't use it and they replaced it)

After hitting backup in shrink, when the window pops up choose the quality settings tab, check both boxes and pick max smoothness. That's all there is to it.

You won't believe the difference.

5. asystole

asystole Member

bigorange

Thanks for info. I will give ritek a try. I am not sure which verbatim, its the one with what looks like a movie real on it (WALMART brand) -R.
    I tried just leaving out the extras today and couldnt believe the difference alone that that made. I did the extra smoothness the one time but had a problem, although at this point i blame the error on my self or media (MEMorex)for i have no other problems with shrink, with 23 burns so far.

QUESTION= The past three movies i have burt, 2 are 2004 releases and one 2002 release have had a folder after extras called unspecified folder, what is this? When i open the folder and preview there is nothing there but blank screen.

Thanks for all you time and knowledge
    asystole

6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

No problem, it varies, it can be blank title screens, a logo coming on before the movie, etc. Usually they are so small(5mb, etc.) I don't even bother with them.

I have substituted a still image before with them and didn't even get .1 change in compression on the main title.

There was one movie recently, I can't remember which, where the unreferenced folder had a hard copy read error, and by substituting still image it enabled shrink to rip the movie. It was a boy jumping I seem to remember.

But for the most part they are insignificant :>)

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

[bold] tried just leaving out the extras today and couldnt believe the difference alone that that made. [/bold]

By using the quality settings, two pass encode and AEC, you can keep those extras, raise compression on them, substitute still image for previews and others you don't want, and still end up with excellent movie quality up to about 40% compression.

8. asystole

asystole Member

bigorange

WOW what a difference [bold] max smoothness[/bold] does. [bold]Max sharpness[/bold] had a dood crisp image but can tell some kind of transition difference with smoothness, my vote would be the [bold] max smoothness[/bold]..

Also orded some G05 BRANDED like you suggest, cant wait to see the difference.
    What does [bold]branded[/bold] mean?

thanks
    asystole

9. bigorange

bigorange Active member

The name of the manufacturer or brand name is stamped on the disc.

Congrats! :>)

10. NAPADREW

NAPADREW Member

Quick ? is there a way to copy vhs movies from vhs
    player to computor so you can put it on dvd disc??

11. joniliff

joniliff Member

Hi Napa...yes, it's possible. There's a guide (Search vcr to dvd) but it takes more equipment! I'm doing it about the simplest way, but it cost me about $650... pretty expensive for some old tapes, huh? Several ways to go, depending on your current equipment. Do you have a capture card on your video? That's about the simplest...input your tape, via vcr, to your capture card to computer.

12. NAPADREW

NAPADREW Member

Whats a capture card and where do i look into it?

13. joniliff

joniliff Member

Napa...not to put you off, but I'm not really expert enough to help...go to the search bar here, and type in 'vcr to dvd' (without the quotes) and you'll see several threads on the subject. Many discussions on capture cards, etc.

John