1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink - Deep Analysis

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by RedBurnn, Feb 23, 2007.

1. RedBurnn

RedBurnn Member

My apologies ahead of time. I know this must have come up before, but I've searched and can't find any clear thread. Now maybe my search sucks, so for that I apologize.

But what is the comparative difference in using and not using Full Analysis on discs that require 50-70% compression? Has anyone seen a noticeable improvement?

2. 56delray

56delray Regular member

I would stay away from 50% compress. I try not to go more than 60-65%.
    Which is not a problem most of the time,if u do the main movie w/5.1 sound only. I do the main movie w/DTS sound only since I have a DTS DVD player [5.1 if there is no DTS].

As to difference
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/470988#2847762

3. RedBurnn

RedBurnn Member

Thanks, 56delray.

I don't think your thread link answers my question. I'm already aware of the difference that you see when starting to compress more and more of a dvd.

My question was referring to specifically the "Full Analysis" option. Is there any difference to using it or not?

4. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

RedBurnn

By Full Analysis, do you mean full disk analysis? If so, a full disk analysis means that your telling DVD shrink that you want to backup the entire contents of the disk, so shrink will analyze the entire disk and apply the correct amount of compression to fit the video files on to a single layer DVD disk (DVD5). Doing a full disk backup usually requires more compression to get it fit onto a DVD5, the greater the compression the lower the video quality, shrink can help compensate by using its AEC enhancements found under it's quality settings tab.

[​IMG]

If you reauthor the disk to backup just the main movie, alot of the extra junk is removed in the backup and so less compression is required, less compression = better video quality.

The difference is for your eyes to decide.

5. RedBurnn

RedBurnn Member

Ok, sorry, I don't seem to be making myself clear here.

I mean "Deep Analysis." Does it make a noticeable difference?

6. blake123

blake123 Guest

he was trying to say yes to some and no to others, i always use it because i think there is a noticeable improvement but if you realy want improved quality use dvd rebuilder.

7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Anyone seeing the earlier versions of DVD Shrink realize what a significant improvement 3.2 is. Most of the difference is in DVD9 support and AEC capabilities. The author put a lot of work into the improvements and he obviously thought the deep analysis and other quality settings made a difference. There were a lot of beta versions and testing before the stable 3.2 was released. So, deep analysis helps make a difference, especially at higher compression levels. Deep analysis is only part of the quaility settings and it only takes a few minutes longer. The other settings are what add the most time, but without them, you may as well not waste time on the deep analysis.

Blake123 got it right and DVD Rebuilder is the best option for high quality, but it takes a bit more time than Shrink with quality settings in use. Me, I don't mind. I use RB all the time.

8. 56delray

56delray Regular member

Never tried AEC without the DEEP. Since it does not at that much time compared to AEC. You should burn one each way and tell us.

@PacMan777
    I am switching to RB myself. Shrink is great, but I can see problems on my new big screen. Now I have to redo some of the 600+ backups I have.

9. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

@ RedBurnn,

By any chance do u have Nero?

If so, i would switch to nero recode becuz u can select all the quality settings(Same as Shrink) and it is much faster than shrink

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

You're not alone. I've got some favorites I want to redo.

11. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

To set the AEC settings in Recode you have to go into the Registry and know how to do it or use Solomon Broad's little utility to reset the AEC settings.
    http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?t=72150

12. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

@PacMan777

Thanks for the Nero Recode AEC changer thread.
    Do you or anyone know what the default that is preset on Recode?

13. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

I believe it is set to Sharp

14. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

@300bowler
    Thanks...

15. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

You're welcome. Bowler saved you some time with the answer. Since it's supposed to be by the same author as Shrink, it's only fitting they have the same AEC default. ;)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2007
  16. LABOY

LABOY Regular member

I knew that but I forgot. I am to the point where I forget more than I know. Thanks for reminding me....

17. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

I think it gets most of us at one time or another.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2007
  18. kg2

kg2 Member

i've burned a few discs compressed to ~70% and forget to use Deep Analysis. i reburned some of the disc after using Deep Analysis and compared to the non-Analysis disc. i did note an increased color sharpness/contrast with the deep analysis disc; however it was faint. also i was staring at the tv very close and i cannot discount the placebo effect.

i routinely use deep analysis on anything compressed to less than 93%.

19. RedBurnn

RedBurnn Member

Thanks, kg2. That exactly answered my question.

I'll try to do a comparison myself when I get the time and post any clear differences.