1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink downloaded, but unable to locate on computer.

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by mistymoon, Nov 18, 2004.

1. mistymoon

mistymoon Guest

I'm a newbie, and I would like to make a backup copy of a DVD. I have installed on my computer DVD Decryptor, which is located on my desktop (and seems to work great). I have installed DVD shrink 3 times and cannot find it. It asked me where I would like to have it installed and I placed it in Adobe premiere 6.5, then to Roxio, but I can't locate the DVD Shrink in these programs. Then I went to "search files" and typed in dvdshrink32setup1.zip, and can't find it. It would be nice to have it on my desktop. I'm probably overlooking something obvious. Thank you for your help.

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello mistymoon, I hang around in the dvd forums quite a bit. I have read a lot of forum problems with the software conflict between dvdshrink and roxio. This may be your problem. Nero 6.0 or higher and dvd decryptor is the recommended burn software for dvd shrink. I have both, but haven't had to use dvd decryptor yet. I also have adobe 6.0 and have no conflicting issues with dvdshrink. Big orange said you can download a free 1 month trial of nero and just keep downloading it every month. You may want to remove roxio entirely then try nero. You can even get scubapete's dvdshrink guide here in the forum. I am a newbie so I don't know how to add links and other fancy stuff. With shrink/nero/decryptor, you will be burning with ease. Better yet, they are FREE!

3. mistymoon

mistymoon Guest

Thanks for your advice Saugmon, I'll take off Roxio and download Nero. Then I'll download DVD Shrink again, and tell it to open in Nero. I already printed out the DVD Shrink guide from this website, so I'll be ready as soon as I can locate Shrink on my computer. I really appreciate this website. Take care, Mistymoon.

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

mistymoon,

saugmon is 100% correct. Roxio will cause problems with other DVD software, especially Nero. It also likes to leave remnants so use this tool to remove roxio remnants completely:

http://www.microadvantage.net/downloads/zapper60.zip

I placed it in Adobe premiere 6.5, then to Roxio

??????????? WHAT???????????

you need to install shrink to your program files on your "C" drive and at the end of the installation on the "finish" window it should have a box to check for launch icon on desktop. If it doesn't, browse to the shrink program file folder in your PC's programs folder and right click on the shrink icon and click on "send to desktop" option. You will then have a shrink icon on your desktop where you can open it easily.

You ARE installing shrink 3.2, right?

Then I'll download DVD Shrink again, and tell it to open in Nero.

??????? Do NOT install shrink in Nero! Again, Install it in your programs folder.

Shrink and Nero are two totally different programs, shrink automatically opens nero to burn, that's it, otherwise they have no use for each other. Would you install your security software in your email? Same difference. You need to install your programs in your programs folder on your "C" drive.

OK? If you need it I have a simple shrink guide i wrote that is easy to follow. It just has the basics, but will get you going. It will let you use nero or decrypter to burn automatically without ever having to open them. Good luck :>)

5. bigorange

bigorange Active member

One other thing, did you download a zip file, if so,when you went to open it, where did you extract it and what with?

6. wild77

wild77 Guest

I have had sucess burning from Shrink with both Decrypter and Nero with no noticable difference(my Nero trial is about to run out) I have been using DVD Decrypter to burn,so far good results.As for downloading Shrink you should be able to save to your Desktop and extract from there if you are using XP.I also had Roxio(un-nstalled now) on my computer. It came with my Plextor drive and caused problems with other software I was using.Nero is much better, but try using decrypter first.Check out the guides they are very helpful.

7. mistymoon

mistymoon Guest

Hi bigorange, thank you for your help. You wanted to know about when I downloaded Shrink to Adobe and Roxio. I think that I am not using the proper terminology. When downloading Shrink, towards the end it asks where I would like to open it, but the desktop was not an option in the box that popped up. So the first time I chose Adobe, when I tried to find Shrink, I looked in Adobe and could not find it. Then I downloaded Shrink again, this time I chose Roxio as the place to open it. Again I could not find it. And yes, I am installing Shrink 3.2 version. I did download the zip file. You wanted to know where I extracted it and with what. I don't know what that means. (That's probably where my problem is). I'll print out the information that you guys have given me, and follow it. I will let you know how it works out. Thanks again for taking the time to help me out. mistymoon.

8. bigorange

bigorange Active member

You're welcome, I'm afraid I still don't understand.

When downloading Shrink, towards the end it asks where I would like to open it, but the desktop was not an option in the box that popped up.

After you download shrink you want to "save" it to your computer, not open it. After you save it, note where you saved it to, (like under "my downloads", for instance).

Then close out the Download window and browse to file where you saved it. You will then open and extract it to the same folder using winrar, just right click on the icon in the folder you opened and choose extract to, and pick that folder under "my downloads". Then open that folder and left click the install icon twice and follow the prompts to install shrink.

It should then put an icon on your desktop, if it doesn't just go the your program file folder where you installed it, open it and right click on the shrink icon, then send it to your desktop.

It sounds like you have never even installed it yet, so that's why you can't find it.

You need an app to unzip that folder. I like winrar, it has a free trial period and I think it's the best of programs of that type. WinRAR is a powerful archive manager. It can backup your data and reduce size of email attachments, decompress RAR, ZIP and other files downloaded from Internet and create new archives in RAR and ZIP file format. its trial version is available in downloads.

With so many things being put in zip files nowadays, everyone needs an app of this type.

here is the URL:

http://www.rarlab.com/

Install winrar before you try to install shrink, then go and download shrink where you can find it after you've saved it to your folder.

if you still have problems, just shout back, OK?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2004
  9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Mistymoon,
    correct me if I am wrong, but is the problem that you can't find the DVD Shrink zip file after downloading it? When you download the file are you hitting save or open? I'm just trying to understand your exact problem. Maybe you could explain step by step what you are doing then we can help you better. :)

10. bigorange

bigorange Active member

mistymoon, I agree with bbmayo, do you know how to download and use a zip file?

11. mistymoon

mistymoon Guest

Thank you bigorange and everyone else who has helped me. I have installed winrar and followed the advice you have given me and now everything is working perfectly. DVD Shrink and Decrypter and wonderful programs. Happy Holidays, Mistymoon.

12. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Thank you and you are quite welcome. Merry Xmas to you too! :>)