1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dvd shrink drops 3 files

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by bluedogs, Feb 22, 2004.

1. bluedogs

bluedogs Member

i use dvd shrink (as we all should) but I believe I may have found a floor in it.

I try to buck up my star trek tng, farscape and stargate but dvd shrink drops 3 files during the process

There is 18 files on the disk but only backs up 15, so when you burn off it is rather VCD quality very blocky

this hapens only with series 6 of tng but all of farscape and stargate

anyone know what the problem is, im in australia if that means anything so im inder the pal format

2. RWG

RWG Regular member

What 3 files is it dropping? What version of Shrink?

Your quality may have something to do with the compression rate.

RWG

3. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

Hi you two. :)

bluedogs, I don't think DVD Shrink "drops" any files. When using compression the number of VOB files will diminish (in most cases).

A 5GB+ movie will have 6 VOB files: (5 x 1GB) + (1 x 0.xxGB).
    After compression, it will be < 4.7GB so will have: (4 x 1GB) + (1 x 0.xxGB). ;)

4. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

The only files DVD Shrink "drops" are the autorun.bat files or similar files meant for pc only, like e.g. built-in software players like Interactive or plugins that open links to some internet sites about the movie or something like that. All these files will not be in the VIDEO_TS folder of the DVD, thus DVD Shrink will ignore them and drop them.

And as RWG already stated, the blockiness is a sign of too high compression ratio. Especially in action movies you cannot compress to less than 70% or so of the original size without getting noticeably lower quality. At least on my 18" flat screen you'll easily see the difference.
    Especially in scenes with smoke, clouds or the like or extreme close-ups of faces you'll notice little blocks if the compression ratio is too high.

Well anyway, hope this helps! Have fun!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2004
  5. bluedogs

bluedogs Member

unsure of what files it drops but with the star trek series 1,2,3,4,5,7 come up fine but its just season 6 and it also happens with stargate and farscape.

the compression is not changed from what dvd shrink sets as default

6. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

bluedogs,

the compression ratio in DVD Shrink depends on the size of the movie and the extras. It always sets it so that the whole contents of the DVD will fit one DVDR.
    The default is "automatic" for movie, extras and menus, so what you could do to improve the quality of the movie is to compress the extras and some menus more than the movie by selecting "ratio" instead of "automatic" and decreasing the compression ratio (increasing the amount of compression). Thus the movie itself will not be compressed that much, so you might get a reasonable quality that way.

Sometimes you just have to strip some extras in order to have good quality on the movie. You can also split the movie onto two discs, thus having the same quality as the original.

The reason why you get poor image quality on some DVDs but not on all is simply due to the fact that some DVDs contain more stuff (i.e. more extras, the movie is longer etc.) than others. There's also other things that affect the quality, like how much action and much quickly changing images with sharp contrasts the movie has and things like that.

And don't worry about the missing files, it's propably just what Denis mentioned above, less VOBs because of the compression. DVD Shrink splits all VOBs into 1GB files, so since your movie now is smaller, there's also less VOB files. Well I hope this made any sense to you.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2004
  7. bluedogs

bluedogs Member

yep it all makes sense
    ill take your advice and try again and let you know what happened
    Thanks guys

8. ddlooping

ddlooping Active member

No problems, bluedogs. ;)