1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD SHRINK...........DVD SHRINK WITH ANYDVD

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by hursty, Feb 11, 2005.

1. hursty

hursty Active member

i dont normally use anydvd if i can help it as my pc resources are low and my memory sometimes bumps out,
    however i just ran a movie through shrink (any dvd turned off)and the transfer rate was extremely low >300 kb/s,although my pc is not up to scratch,i normally average around 1000kb/s...

the movie was I.ROBOT,whether this is heavily encrypted,i dont know,but the estimated time was a whopping 6 hrs,for the full dvd..
    i cancelled this,and started again,this time enabling anydvd.
    the transfer rate almost trebled,with shrink also showing no encryption.estimated time 2 1/2 hrs,

does this prove that shrink will be variably slower depending on what type of encryption it has to rip?thus using anydvd speeding up the transfer rate,
    lots of you may already know this,but it is something i have just noticed

with kind regards hursty

2. keithro70

keithro70 Guest

Sometimes with Shrink, it can take a loooong time to back up the movie. I haven't found a fix for that, but when I encounter that I use DVD Decrypter to rip the DVD. In fact I got so tired of movies taking so long with Shrink, and had so many movies not be able to be decrypted by Shring that I rip all my movies with Decrypter now. Then if it needs to be compressed, I'll open the disk image and compress with shrink, then burn with Decrypter or Nero.

3. hursty

hursty Active member

i am stuck with shrink for now,using fat32
    until my DELAYED arrival of my new pc,thats what i am stuck with,i can fly to australia and back from england,and still find my dvd hasnt finished.pissing thing.
    hehe

4. keithro70

keithro70 Guest

FAT32, oh no. Yuck. FAT 32 is terrible with large files. Good luck, and switch to NTFS asap!

5. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Below is a time table for the Burning of The Grudge and the software I used: (Basically a full backup). My equipment is listed in my Sig for comparison.

DVD Decrypter took 42 minutes to decrypt 67 files to the Hard Drive. None were skipped.

DVD Shrink took 12 minutes to do it's thing and
    Burned the movie at 8x in 8 minutes. Total time 62 minutes. Full backup with everything except foreign languages. Full compression on everything except Main Movie set to Auto. Plays perfect.

Did the same thing, the same way with the same settings but this time using: AnyDVD & DVD Shrink

DVD Shrink Encoding took 42 minutes and
    burning the movie at 8x took 8 minutes
    Total time 50 minutes.

What OS are you using? Is this why you haven’t converted to NTSF? Have you adjusted your Page File System to access more memory if you have room on your HD?

Thanks

6. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Understand, FAT 32 will only handle 4 gig files, NTFS will handle 10 gigs. Most movie files are over 4 gigs. You don't have to convert your entire system to NTFS, if you do you will have to start over. Just partition it to NTFS, that way you can use NTFS for your video files and keep your FAT32 so you won't have to reformat everything.

7. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Scuba Bud, notice your handiwork?

8. wild77

wild77 Guest

ScubaBud your rip times seem a little long,what speed are you reading at.My Plextor PX-712 will rip with Decrypter in about 15 minutes even with the newer movies.I backed up I Robot with no problems using only Decrypter in File Mode then Shrink to do the Main Movie Only.

9. wolfniggr

wolfniggr Regular member

wild77, I noticed you used decrypter and then shrink for I robot. Where you not able to rip it with shrink alone?

10. hursty

hursty Active member

if you seen my old system,you would understand my reasons for not converting to NTFS,its a piece of junk...or was....it is no more..as you can see from my sig',my pc is arrived,not quite fully functional yet,but soon as it as it,my copying speeds should rocket up,compared to what i am used to.

the question that i posed was not about the system i was using,but about the shrink.....shrink/anydvd combo

i have found using shrink alone compared to using shrink/anydvd is averaging more than double the time it takes to encode.
    @big orange
    i know fat 32 can only handle 4gb's,thats why i use decrypter to burn....its splits the file into 2 sectors
    thats the only way i can do it..or could do it.

on a different note,i know the amount of compression affects the amount of encoding time,but what about the different levels of security,is that why using anydvd reduces the time taken?
    its a little confusing,as i dont normally use anydvd as a rule,as my memory normally bumps out

with kind regards hursty

11. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

[bold]wild77[/bold]

I do Rip at a lower speed, 2x, because I use my DVD-Rom at “default settings” for that, and keep my Asus for burning only. If I used my Burner, “you are correct,” I could Rip much faster. Just like burning at 8x instead of 16x even, though I have had good burns at that speed, I am sometimes a creature of habit. And yes I know I should even burn at lower speeds but I can honestly swear that I have never had a coaster, not even with cheaper media! Now watch, I’ll have like a billion all in a row! <G> Lightning_UK also uses Plextor as his burner of choice and stated he has three of them. That's why you see enable SpeedRead (Plextor) as an option under Device in DVD DeCrypter. He built that into his program for his own personal use.

[bold]hursty[/bold]

You give the impression that your system is very old. Is it the model with the Crank on the left side or right side? <G>

I asked ddp when I learned he is from Canada that same question;
    “You guys still have the computers with the crank handles on them. When you switching over to A/C power?”

His comeback was terrific; “we use wind power generators from all the hot air from the states!” <G>

[bold]BigOrange[/bold]

I like your sig gif! Very nice! <G>

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005
  12. wild77

wild77 Guest

[bold]wolfniggr[/bold] I found a system that works well for me and stick to it.The reason I use Decrypter to rip all the time is that I have my choice which program I want to use to encode usually Shrink or Nero Recode2.

[bold]ScubaBud[/bold] I can understand being a creature of habit as I stick to what has worked best for me.I burn at 4x even though I have burned as high as 12x with good results.We need more members willing to experiment and find what works best for them instead of asking the same questions over and over.

Everone have a Great Day!! I just worked a 12 hour shift and it's time to go to bed.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2005
  13. hursty

hursty Active member

new system is online
    the old banger is binned
    hehe

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005