1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink Eats Hard Drive!!! HELP!

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by wilkdog1, May 16, 2007.

1. wilkdog1

wilkdog1 Guest

Ok, I got a new computer last week, running Vista, and I decided to try out my new DVD burner. I downloaded DVD Shrink and it worked great, so I started copying DVDs like a freaking maniac. After I finished about 30 of them, I realized that even though I was erasing the saved files when I'd burned the movie, I'd lost about 25 gigs of hard drive space.

So I paid close attention to it, copied about 5 more movies, and watched my hard drive shrink even more. It looks like I'm losing anywhere from 250 megs to 1 gig for every movie I copy. I cleaned out my recycle bin, ran a defrag, and searched every folder on my computer looking for any hidden files. Nothing. DVD shrink chips away at my hard disk. I also tried DVD Decrypter, and the same thing happens. I think it's when the movies are initially scanned, a copy is stored somewhere.

Is this normal, or do I need to change some settings or something? I've only read one similiar post like mine somewhere online, so I know there's at least one other person dealing with this. Help me out if you can, computer gods.

2. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

Do you have any Norton products installed? You may have to check the protected recycle bin.

3. tjohns

tjohns Member

DVDShrink keeps (small) files containing the analysis of each DVD you copy in a folder

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\DVD Shrink

NOTE: application data is a hidden folder so you might not be able to see it in Explorer ... try START - RUN and enter the address above manually (in quotes, as it contains spaces!)

Trevor

4. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

Yes but that not gonna hold 25 gigs.

5. david66

david66 Regular member

do a seach for videos on your computer if they are there you will find them Vista search is fast

6. little155

little155 Regular member

I think your problem has more to do with Vista than DVDshrink. I heard that Vista keeps a back-up copy of every thing you do on the computer that you can't erase or access until you upgrade to ultimate. You might want to check out some of the Vista threads. Some of the other members have a better knowledge of this than I do. Later George

7. david66

david66 Regular member

I have Vista and it does not keep files that you cannot find or erase

8. little155

little155 Regular member

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  9. wilkdog1

wilkdog1 Guest

Thanks guys. I looked into it and it's true...Vista does store shadow copies of things, but these copies are only available to delete or access with Vista Business or Ultimate, not with either of the home editions. Sort of Microsoft's way of forcing you to upgrade. They can rot in hell for that.

10. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

wilkdog1,
    I believe I have read that you can cut off the system restore in Vista. This should get you back the 25 GB you are missing. After cutting it off then re-boot and cut it back on. Vista automatically will take approx 10-15% of the HD for restore and you can not change the amount like you can in XP. Another way is to cut it off and then use an imaging program like Ghost or Acronis TI

11. andymog

andymog Member

Im running XP but i know allot about DvD shrink.

Last year for school we made a DVD and i had to copy so i used Dvd shrink. Everytime you burn a Different Dvd it safes a folder of all the video files in the C Drive. If you delete them every so often you can stay on top of things.

Hope this Helps,
    Andrew