1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink Encoding Issue

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by GameHhH, Jan 29, 2007.

1. GameHhH

GameHhH Member

Hey guys, I am new to the forum and have a question for everyone. It seems that my when DVD Shrink encodes that it encodes twice? Is this normal. It encodes for about 20 minutes and then encodes again, but this time for about and hour and change. Is this normal? It rips my DVD in about 12 minutes and then VTS runs for about 5 minutes. It opens DVD Shrink and I hit backup and thats where it starts. My DMA settings are ok. So the complete process is about 2 hours. I have a Dell Dimension with AMD Athlon XP+ (2.00 GHz) with 512 meg of RAM. Please let me know if I am doing anything wrong. Any help will be appreciated.

2. onya

onya Guest

Hi GameHhH, there are numerous postings regarding shrink and how at times "it goes slow". Nice to know you have checked your dma settings. Good one so far. :)

However, there is a setting in shrink for deep analysis, you generally speaking, don't need it, so un-tick it. There are a few "in house" guides for shrink. Try this from Alkohol.
    Try this from bbmayo.(outsourced)
    Try this from AD's Guides.

This is a seperate issue, but Just a thought... you've got 512mb of ram, you might want to beef that up a bit. If anything is going to speed up your rig, it's extra ram (not withstanding an o/clock). Ram may be your cheapest option to remedy that. Just a suggestion.. :)

3. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@GameHhH

First off welcome to the site. Glad you found the correct forum to post your question in. The other thread you had said it was a problem with RipIt4Me doing a 2 pass on your DVD. But I see now it is actually DVD Shrink that you are talking about.

I would agree with onya the reason that Shrink is doing 2 passes is because you have (Perform deep analysis before backup to improve quality ) selected.

Having Deep Analysis checked means DVD Shrink will do 2 passes of the DVD. The first pass is a Deep Analysis of the DVD the second pass is the trasncoding of the DVD to fit onto a DVD5 (Single Layer disc)

You can uncheck the Deep Analysis option after you have imported and edited the DVD and click on BACKUP. After you click BACKUP another option box comes up and this is where you can check or uncheck Deep Analysis.

When the option box comes up click on the QUALITY SETTINGS TAB you then will see a box to check or uncheck Deep Analysis. Unchecking it can lower the quality of the backup. So you need to decide what is more important time or quality.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  4. GameHhH

GameHhH Member

I plan an adding another 512 this week

5. GameHhH

GameHhH Member

I have that option checked. If I uncheck it, will the movie quality become really bad on my dvd-r?

6. larrylje

larrylje Active member

It all depends on how much compression is needed to Shrink the DVD to a single layer DVD.

I would suggest anything 85% or under needs Deep Analysis enabled.

7. GameHhH

GameHhH Member

Thanks buddy