1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-Shrink Encoding Problems

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by HaryKewel, Jun 7, 2004.

1. HaryKewel

HaryKewel Member

I have been using DVD-Shrink version 3.1.7 for quite some time now and have been encoding my DVD-movies successfully. However, recently in the encoding process there have been problems. Until recently the encoding was running smoothly and the percentage increasing at a steady rate. However now the preview screen is extremely stop start and the percentage increases about once every thirty seconds. It rarely makes it to 5% when the computer simply restarts. I don't know why this is happening and am especially perplexed as to why it's happening now. If any one could help me at all with this problem i would really appreciate it, thanks.

2. roeod4

roeod4 Regular member

Hello Hary,

I am going to need a little more info on this one, please.
    Can you provide for me:
    Computer specs
    Date of last hard drive clean-up and defragment
    Brand of media
    Any steps you have taken to correct the problem yourself
    Is this happening on one particular DVD or on everything you are trying to burn now

This will help in fingering out the problem.

3. oneacer

oneacer Regular member

Off the top of my head, I would say a log jam of sorts possible; ie; not enough space, did you recently install new software(possible conflict?, try empty temp. folder, try de-frag, PIO instead of DMA, etc.etc.

More info is needed to check out better.

4. 321sucker

321sucker Regular member

You need more HDD space. Minimum of 12 gigs.
    Empty the temp & prefetch folder, too

Last edited: Jun 7, 2004
  5. HaryKewel

HaryKewel Member

Ok, My Computer is a HP Compaq nx9110 Pentium 4, 3.2Ghz. I have checked that i have at least 34.4GB of free space and have a Toshiba ODD-DVD SD-R6252. To correct the problem myself all i have done is download a higher version of DVD Shrink but had the same problem. The Brand of Media i am using is called Media Cache DVD+R. Remember though that i'm not yet up to the actual burning on to the disc stage yet and this particular media has worked perfectly. This does happen on every movie i try to burn but up until this point had been working perfectly and the encoding process was going smoothly. The only programs i can really think of installing/downloading before this started happening was Roxio Easy CD & DVD Creator and Real Player. Thanks again.

6. 321sucker

321sucker Regular member

Well,

Possibly, one of the programs thats in the Roxio suite is conflicting. I bet it's Record Now.
    In add/remove programs, select Roxio and select change, now disable Record Now. It will appear as though its doing an un-install, but its not.

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

In all likelihood it's Roxio (which has a stellar record of screwing up other apps) especially since the problem started after you installed it.

Like 321 said, it'd be a good thing to uninstall it and go from there. Here's a nice little utility to remove all traces of it after you uninstall through Add/Remove:

http://www.microadvantage.net/downloads/zapper60.zip

If you want a good burning suite, I'd highly recommend Nero 6 Ultra. It's outstanding software that plays nice with other apps on your system :)

8. HaryKewel

HaryKewel Member

Thanks Nephilim,
    I uninstalled Roxio and used that zapper thing but i'm afraid it still doesn't work.

9. Nephilim

Just for kicks you might reinstall Shrink again to give it a fresh start.

Another thing would be to ensure that your drive is set to DMA. Here's a useful link:

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

The restarts during encoding sound a lot like a heat related issue. Encoding is very CPU intensive and creates quite a bit of heat. If the CPU gets to hot the PC restarts. It might be worthwhile to check that there aren't any dustbunnies/etc blocking the airflow through your case and that all fans are still working.

If the above suggestions didn't help you might try starting the encoding process with the side of the case removed for better airflow and see if that makes a difference.

10. HaryKewel

HaryKewel Member

OK, i'll try

11. Nephilim

You've got a notebook don't you? I just searched for your pc specs and all I could find was a notebook with that model number.

If it is a notbook I've got all my money on it being heat related, especially with a 3.2 P4 in that thing. As I said in my last post, encoding produces a lot of heat and notebooks aren't very good at getting rid of that kind of heat. I recall two or three other folks here having problems with their laptops restarting during encoding.

My best suggestion would be to prop up the back of the notebook to allow air to circulate beneath it or get one of those cooler thingies the laptop sits on that have fans in them. Here's what I'm talking about:

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=laptop+cooler&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=ff
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    JMLS-166S/Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium[/small]

Last edited: Jun 8, 2004
  12. Nephilim

13. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

If it's a laptop I'd definitely go with one of the cooling pads like Nephilim linked to. I have a friend with one of the first laptops that had desktop boards/CPUs in them and it does an amazing job. It keeps it cool enough that if it weren't so heavy he could comfortably keep it on his lap indefinitely.

14. Noel

Noel Guest

A defrag is a really good idea. I ha d DVD Shrink that started running slow. When I checked the disk there were over 194000 fragments (on 80GB disc). It took Diskeeper Lite about 20 runs to get the disc unfragmented. Took hours as well. I will have to remember to de-frag more often.

15. roeod4

roeod4 Regular member

If you are using a notebook you absolutly must get a cooling pad. Get the Antec, they are the best. You can also check the manufacturers website for bios updates. Both of these things will help your laptop run nice and cool.
    Once you do that you will actually see an increase in performance too. I went from a range of 45 min to an hour with encoding and burning, now it takes about 17 to 22 minutes, using shrink and nero.

16. HaryKewel

HaryKewel Member

Ok thanks, I'll look into it

17. HaryKewel

HaryKewel Member

By the way Nephilim that is my laptop