1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink encoding time too long!

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by dumb-o, Oct 5, 2004.

1. dumb-o

dumb-o Member

DVD Shrink encoding time states 30 hours!!!!!!!!
    my transer rate is astonishingly low at only about 5 kb/s.

I have no other programs open while using DVD Shrink and I have uninstalled Roxio. PC spces are AMD 2.4 ghz, 256 ram, 80 gb hard drive, XP home, 1 internal dvd burner.

I have looked throughout the website and have not been able to use others' solutions to solve my problem. please help!!! thanks!

2. Veblin

Veblin Active member

3. dumb-o

dumb-o Member

Thanks Veblin. I'll give this a try and keep you posted!

4. dodzy

dodzy Member

Any suggestions ( other than DMA settings ) for a slow encoding speed using latest ver. of Shrink (encoding speed averages at approximately 1,500KB/s)

5. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

I would go along with veblin's suggestion first.

I would also suggest checking CPU and memory resources while encoding. Do Ctrl-Alt-Del >> Task Manager >> Performance. CPU should be at 100% during encoding. RAM use is usually around 140 to 160 MB, on top of a 115 MB used to load XP. This would be a potential bottle neck for dumb-o, as all the 256MB is being used.

If the CPU is not running near 100%, and you haven't set Shrink to run in the background, then you may have a CPU over-heating problem causing long encode times.

You should also be managing your page file. A good setting for video rendering is 4000 MB min and max. If you allow Windows to manage it (default setting), it will slow things down, and it will also fragment the drive a lot faster.

The amount of available HDD space is also key. And, if you haven't defragged in a while, this will slow things to a crawl.

I would also suggest ripping with Decrypter to see what kind of time it requires. A reasonable time may point to a faulty Shrink install.

6. dumb-o

dumb-o Member

Hey thanks everyone. so I have solved the transfer speed problem, only to uncover a few new ones.

As recommended by Veblin, I checked settings for all drives and they all were already set to "DMA" & "Ultra DMA Mode". What actually solved the problem was to select "Hard disk Folder" on the "target device" tab of the "backup dvd" window. That action boosted my transfer rate to 4000kb/s--awesome!

Now, i seem to have 2 other problems (perhaps related): after DVD shrink encoding was finished, dvd decrypter did not automatically pop up and begin burning. So, i manually opened dvd decrypter (set to proper ISO-->write mode) and selected the iso image file, but it wouldn't allow me to select it. instead, a window popped-up stating "you have not slelected the corrected MDS file, i will select it for you. Then, i cannot select the burn icon.

With persistence and your constant help, I will defeat my white whale yet . . . mark my words! I will prevail!

thanks again.

7. dumb-o

dumb-o Member

Oh yeah, i forgot to add:

since i selected to burn to hard disk, I assume this means in "file mode" -- thus, there will not be an iso image, but instead, files in a video_ts folder.

well, after dvd shrink encoding was finished, i searched in the video_ts folder, and there was no ".dvd" file, which is supposed to be the one that i select to burn, correct?

8. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

DVD Decrypter will burn an ISO file, but as far as I know, it will not burn the video_ts files created in file mode. You will need a program like Nero (recommended) for this. Also, there aren't any .dvd files in the video_ts folder...only IFO, BUP, and VOB. The VOB's are the MPEG2 type files, and you can play these in your desktop DVD player.

I am still wondering, however, why it took as long as it did to rip ISO files. I just ran a test and the times are about the same. The one thing I did notice is that when in ISO mode, it starts out showing a long encode time, but this drops fairly rapidly once the process is underway.

EDIT/ADD ON: I am thinking the longer ISO time is due to a couple of possible reasons. First, is that there was difficulty reading the source DVD because it needed cleaning. The other is that there was something in the editing process that gave it a problem. I think that if you picked another DVD, or cleaned the one you have, and ran it through without any edits, you would see about the same times with ISO or File mode.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2004
  9. dumb-o

dumb-o Member

Doc409, I thought that dvd decrypter was a suitable burning program to burn dvds to play a home stereo-like setting (ie, not a pc dvd player).

However, you say that dvd decrypter will not burn iso files or .dvd files? am i missing something?

thanks again.

10. dumb-o

dumb-o Member

Also,
    when using the "Copy entire dvd9 to a dvd5 using dvd shrink" guide, it claims that "DVD Shrink will begin burning automatically after the encoding is done."

I thought that dvd shrink was not a burning program . . .???? . . .

11. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

Yes, this is confusing. Shrink does not burn, but links to either Nero or Decrypter which does the burning. You have the option of disabling either of these.

DVD Decrypter is a good burning program for ISO files, which is all it does. It won't burn the others.

I would also suggest one more thing to get familiar with the software. Rip with DVD Decrypter in [bold]ISO mode[/bold] first. This will be a 25 to 30 minute process. Then load the files into Shrink for editing...then backup...and then burn with Decrypter. This is a good exercise because at some point you will find a DVD that Shrink can't rip, but Decryptert can.

12. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

DP

13. dumb-o

dumb-o Member

Doc 409--Oh, I misunderstood you. Dvd Decrypter CAN burn iso files--great.

So, i did rip to iso file with dvd decrypter. However, now how do i solve the remaining problem as stated previously, which is:
    ===So, i manually opened DVD Decrypter (set to proper ISO-->write mode) and selected the iso image file, but it wouldn't allow me to select it. instead, a window popped-up stating "you have not slelected the corrected MDS file, i will select it for you." Then, i cannot select the burn icon.===

i still cannot get dvd decrypter to recognize the ripped iso file.

14. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

Let's try this process, and let me know what happens:

1. Rip with Decrypter in ISO mode.
    2. Edit to DVD-5 size in Shrink and point to C:\aMovie folder.
    3. Open Decrypter, and press the w key.
    4. Put your DVD media in your burner drive
    5. Choose C:\aMovie as the file
    6. Decrypter should show that it is ready to burn.

15. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

I am not completely sure of your process (?), but I would also point out that under Decrypter's Tools menu there is a function "Create DVD MDS file..."

16. dumb-o

dumb-o Member

OK. thanks yet again Doc409. i'm at work now and will let you know how it went tonight.

one last (well, probably not last) question:

after ripping with dvd decrypter, it claims the ripped file size to be 6.1GB. however, when i use DVD shrink to downsize, the green bar at the top is green and only reads 4300 kb (4.3GB) what gives?

17. dumb-o

dumb-o Member

is the .mds file an image file too, like an .iso file?

18. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

dumb-o...DVD Shrink is used to Shrink a video disc. It does this by removing data from the I, B, aand P frames that make up a video sequence. I don't deal with backing up games, and so I don't know anything about using Shrink to back these up. I think using Shrink would present a problem, especially since your game appears to be greater than a DVD-5...and therefore you would also lose essential data.

If you have something like a PS2, there is an AD forum for just this type of question.

19. dumb-o

dumb-o Member

doc409,
    i am attempting to burn a movie . . .i'm not a "gamer" in the least. no ps2 games here.

IN dvd decrypter, the notation on the right side after ripping stated the file was 6.1 gb, but dvd shrink only called it 4.3 gb.

does that change your last response at all?

sorry for the confusion, i'm trying my best.

20. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

OK. The mds threw me. That's a file type you find with games. I've never run across it with Movie DVD's.

About the green bar. Your DVD is 6.1 GB (called a DVD-9), and you have to shrink it to fit on a DVD-5 (about 4.3 GB). Your Shrink compression is set to automatic by default, and the green bar shows that it will shrink to fit onto the DVD-5. If you change the compression mode to "no compression," you will see a red bar also appear with the total size of the DVD. The red means that it won't fit on a DVD-5.

Decrypter is only a rip tool, other than the special burn function. Decrypter will not reduce the size of a DVD file. It will always show the correct size of the DVD files.

Edit: the words "no compression" were substituted for "custom".