1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink encountered a error: invalid data

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Jerome283, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Jerome283

Jerome283 Member

I am trying to backup a DVD movie by Dreamworks. I used DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0 to rip it to my HD. It told me that it might be inserting "dummy sectors" and inserted 2 of them.

I then used DVD Shrink 3.2.0.15 to try and re-author the resulting files (just want the movie) but on selecting the file directory I immediately got the following error:

DVD Shrink encountered a error: invalid data in file vts_08-1.vob

What do I do know? Why can't DVD Shrink handle these files. I am a novice at this and have never encountered this problem before. Any suggestions (newbie level) on how to proceed appreciated.

Thanks.

2. FFsp42

FFsp42 Regular member

Try ripping to your HDD using DVDFab Decrypter. Find it here: http://www.dvdidle.com/free.htm It's updated regularly and should handle the newer encryptions.
    Another alternative is to use AnyDVD. While not free, works good with new encryptions and runs in the background, which will allow you to use DVD Shrink for all your needs, if you wish. Find it here: http://www.slysoft.com Comes with a 21 day free trial before you buy.
    Lastly, try RipIt4Me. Up until lately (today) would give worry free backups using FixVTS, DVD Decrypter, and DVD Shrink and is totally free. Just a note though, today the website is down and there is fear that it may have been shut down. It was regularly updated and handled every encryption thrown at it. It may be worth a try if you can find it to download it, should it get back up and running.

Edit: You can find RI4M here: http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/RipIt4Me-Download-44816.html

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  3. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

This maybe an indication that the files ripped by DVD decrypter are not DVD-Compliant, to try and correct this simply process the files you have on your hard drive thru FixVTS, it's designed to correct non-compliant issues. Once FixVTS is done, try opening the corrected files with shrink and proceed with the backup process.

FixVTS (the app and guide on use are here)
    http://download.videohelp.com/FixVTS/

If FixVTS fails to correct the problem, then try DVDFab decrypter or ripit4me, both are free and work quite well.

4. Jerome283

Jerome283 Member

Thank you both. I downloaded and tried to rip using DVDFab, just the main movie and that worked. DVD Shrink could work with the resulting files.

While trying to work around this, someone else had suggested using VOB Blanker to "fix" the files, but I found it very confusing to use and gave up.

I do have ripit4me which I downloaded a month or so ago. I will now also get FixVTS in case I need it some time in the future.

Is FVDFab free to use or does it require a purchase? I was not clear from its website.

Thanks for all the help. This is quite confusing for a newbie.

5. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

DVDFab decrypter is free:)
    DVDFab decrypter Platinum is not:(

6. FFsp42

FFsp42 Regular member

Glad you had success with it.

I do have ripit4me which I downloaded a month or so ago. I will now also get FixVTS in case I need it some time in the future.

Just FYI...if you downloaded the latest version of RI4M, which is 1.7.1.0, then FixVTS is automatically included in the program. Just to let you know.

7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Until the studios come out with a copy protection RI4M can't handle, it's the easiest to use with Shrink. Rips, processes the files for compliance and then opens them in Shrink. Currently there are no releases that RipIt4Me can't process. RipIt4Me may no longer be available though. Enjoy it while you can.