1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink encoutered an error an cannot continue

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by cowpoke, Jan 19, 2007.

1. cowpoke

cowpoke Member

Hello;
    I have been a member for a while, but this is my first post and first question in which I need some help. Tried to copy one of my DVD with DVD Shrink, got to about half way through process and I noticed this message, "DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue... Failed to read file D:\..Data error (cyclic redundacy check)". Then it stopped all together. Any help or instructions are greatly appreciated.

2. dialysis1

dialysis1 Regular member

Either your disc is dirty or scratched or you are trying to copy a disc that Shrink cannot handle. You might want to give DVDFab Decrypter or RipIt4Me a try. Both are freeware.

3. ccblazer

ccblazer Member

After many many tries,
    Here’s how I made a backup copy of my new DVD “Saw 3”.

1. Start with Ripit4me version 1.6.4.0. (free download)
    2. When the program tries to use DVD Shrink (part of it’s process) it encounters an error.
    3. Close the program and open DVDfab decrypter. Point the source box (top) to wherever you copied the ripit4me files. I highlighted main “movie only” on the left side of the program. Press start, let it run to end.
    4. Close program and now open and use DVD shrink to backup the files.
    5. Burn files with Nero or any burning software.
    6. Enjoy.

4. florida25

florida25 Member

I've never had a problem copying any movie. If DVD Shrink can't handle it by itself, DVDFab has always worked, then I compress with DVD Shrink. It's always worked. It's too bad that so many people have problems. Maybe I'm just lucky.

5. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

@cowpoke

If all your using is DVDshrink to try and backup this movie, the error is most likely being caused by copy protection shrink just can't do anything about.

Try (as suggested already):

DVDFab decrypter (latest beta version), its been updated to take care of this movie.

DVFDFab
    http://www.dvdfab.com/DVDFabDecrypter3060Beta.exe

Or try ripit4me which should also be ok
    http://www.ripit4me.org/

If using either app fails, then your disk is bad, return it and get another copy, then retry.

6. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Cyclic Redundancy is a read error as dialysi1 addressed with the scratched disc. That's the main cause and then it runs the line from optical heads being dirty to weak lasers and loose cables. If you have a good DVD that works and the problem is with just the one disc, you can almost bet on a bad disc (scratches, crack or a bad press). DVD Decrypter is one of the better rippers for scratched DVDs. I have some recovery software, but it's no longer available that I'm aware of, XRescue. There may be something else available. Make sure the disc is clean, polished and not ruined with scratches. Sometimes a disc has errors from the factory causing read problems. Just because a DVD plays well doesn't always mean it will record properly. I've been down that road personally a few times. Do a read test if you know how. If severe scratching is obvious, sometimes a resurfacing tool will help. I get a lot of used DVDs, so I bought a Disk Dr for my use. Good luck and let us know how you're coming along.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007