1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink Encryption Error

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by josha, Jun 3, 2004.

1. josha

josha Member

I have tried to make several backups of my dvd's. Specifically, the last one I tried to backup unsuccessfully was LOTR The fellowship of the ring. About 75% through analysis, the program said that there was an error in a sector dut to encryption, or something along those lines. It only happens on about 5% of the dvd's I tried to back up.

Any thoughts?

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

This is a known issue with Shrink. Sometimes you'll get a disc that it can't break all the encryption onn and which discs have the problem seems to vary from one PC to another. Try using DVD Decrypter to rip before using Shrink and your problem should be solved.

3. josha

josha Member

So, I should use decrypter instead of shrink? Or use decrypter, shrink then decrypter again?

4. vurbal

You need to rip with Decrypter in either File or ISO mode. If you rip in File mode you'll get all the files from the disc in whatever folder you rip to (make sure to select all files) and if you rip in ISO mode you'll get a single disc image file. Either one can be opened with Shrink. Then backup normally.

5. josha

josha Member

Thanks for getting back with me... that still didn't work. I tried ripping in ISO mode and it stopped at the half way mark with a similar error message. So this might be a disk I can't copy, but for reference, is there a way to skip a portion of the disc that contains encryption? Perhaps by copying blocks of chapters at a time, instead of the entirety of the dvd. In other words, if I were watching the backup, the portion I skipped would be like a blank spot on the dvd. Thanks again.

6. vurbal

It may be that you can't copy it because it's either scratched or just bad from the factory (it's amazing how many of these there are), but there's one last thing to try. In Decrypter, go to the Tools menu and click on settings. Click on the I/O tab of the Settings window and check the box next to Ignore Read Errors in the lower right corner. This will skip whatever unreadable parts it finds, which may or may not still look good, depending on how much it actually has to skip.

7. Boyd

Boyd Guest

Hi Guys

Just want to say after using "shrink/decrypter" a few times i think they are great tools. anyhow my advice is make sure as was mentioned that discs are spotlessly clean, (hey! after all aren;t we making backup copies and ne want them in pristine condition) all screensavers/antivirus/firewalls and all programs are terminated before commencing. this greatly reduces problems

regards

Boyd