1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink Error "Local Volume Identifier"

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by Appa, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Appa

Appa Regular member

I have been using Shrink and Nero 6.6.0.18 and been very satisfied with the results. I should say I also have the purchased Any DVD as well.
    I did 3 backups yesterday of my children's Jungle Book, Country Bears, and Brother Bear. Getting ready for a small Easter party for them. All backups turned out fine.
    Then I went to do a backup of one of my music concert dvd's and inserted it into my External BenQ 162I HDD and started with Shrink and when it got to the section with the drop down menu for Drive I selected my External "E" and it read " Local Volume Identifier", I called my software tech at our office, however he is into our work software and does not burn dvd's, however he suggested that I Google the issue; which I did and came up only with artilces relative to Imgburn and that did not relate to my situation.

The software techie at the office then suggested to do a post and see if there is an Option in Shrink that needed to be checked off??? And for some reason this particular backup required that??

Has any experienced member had this problem and can offer advice?
    I would appreciate all help that is available, thankyou.

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Can you see the disk and browse it through explorer? What I am saying is does your drive recognize the disk at all?

3. Appa

Appa Regular member

Yes, the drive recognizes the disk, when I open My Computer; the title of the dvd is there opposite my external drive.
    But when I go to use Shrink as usual, same process that I have used repeatedly with success I get this error.

Took it to my bro and tried his External drive and internal with Shrink and same error????

BTW, my internal drive also gives same error???

But my bro used 1 Click dvd and Any dvd and burned a copy???

Any ideas???
    Thx for your time.

4. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Shrink and the newer versions of AnyDVD have been having conflicts doing some releases. Try ripping with the free DVDFab Decrypter (AnyDVD off) or try another transcoder to see if that makes a difference.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

^^^ That would have been my recommendation exactly :)

"Great minds think a like" ;-)

6. Appa

Appa Regular member

My neigbour told me today that he has had problems with Shrink with the same Error message and went down to a friend who does DVD copies, edits etc. and he said that he has heard that some dvd's have some kind of protection at the Boot Sector of the DVD which Shrink does not handle.
    Anyone heard of this??

i guess by bros, Clone DVD, 1 Click DVD and Any DVD are able to handle whatever problem there is???

i will try what is suggested, however i hate having so many programs on my computer ...I don't know the size of this Decrypter???
    This is my own personal toshiba notebook, but I do use it for work.
    Thx for the reply.

7. Appa

Appa Regular member

Well, I d/l DVD Fab Decrypter and Disabled Any DVD and same error occurred:
    E:/Logical Volume Identifier

It showed at the bottom as a DVD 9.

I really can't understand this, as it is a music concert of Rita Coolidge which I bought and I keep a dvd library and use the backups that I store in a case to use as I don't like to scratch my originals or have them anywhere in an area where the children are.

I simply wonder what this error is about, as mentioned in a prior post my neighbour indicated that he had read that some dvd's have something in the Boot Sector??? This dvd was made in 2004.

I would really appreciate any idea what this error means???
    I have tried googling it and it seems to get some discussion with Imgburn.
    Since it is indeed a DVD 9 and I want to put it on a 4.75, surely I will have to shrink it, correct.

I look forward to replies, thankyou.

8. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

We've gone over what he said, she said and what worked on another PC. Since the error is coming up when you try to open the disc in Shrink, we need to find out if it's between Shrink and your system or whether you have a system flaw. Since you said your bro did it on his system, we can assume the DVD isn't bad. Which leads to the question, if it's protected so heavily, why does his system do the backup and yours won't? I'd try using another transcoding program to see where the problem is. But first off, what decryption software are you using other than Shrink?

Try using the AnyDVD and CloneDVD trials from Slysoft. They're full function. We just want to see if your system is functioning properly or you have a system flaw.

9. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Also just to add,

When exactly do you get your error? While ripping the DVD? or while trying to read the files into Shrink?