1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD Shrink Errors

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by aspire180, Feb 16, 2004.

1. aspire180

aspire180 Regular member

I just started using the new release (Beta 2 with Nero 5.10)of Shrink after reading about it on this site and didn't believe I was having any problems after reading the guide on 'How to...' for Newbies...I am, however, now having some consistent problems that I was wondering if anyone could help me with...I seem to continue to get errors on the copy of the DVD...Every so often there is a glitch or partial freeze on playback of the copy and I don't know what the problem could be...Otherwise, everything is perfect in playback and copying all from the original DVD...I clean the original DVD well and there weren't any freezes in the original so any suggestions?

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

aspire180,

It can be solved very easily - First, try a better quality Disc - Ritek GO4, or Verbatim are great -

Second, when using Shrink, use "custom ratio" and compress it till you see a little gray (1/8 of an inch for me) and then do your backup - that should do it :))

Glad you learned something here - Welcome to the Club -

Pete

3. aspire180

aspire180 Regular member

Thanks for the tips, Pete.

I have experienced many problems with faulty media simply buring CDs from MP3s on certain brands, in particular I found Memorex to be pretty unreliable with skips on playback...So, I tried to get something that I thought was reliable for DVD-Rs...I bought Sony 120 min 4.7 GB with 4X speed thinking that was would be reliable, any thoughts on that?...I will buy Verbatim or Ritek as you suggested though, thanks.

As for the compression ratio, do you mean that after Shrink 'Analyses' that I use the 'Custom Ratio' tab and compress so that percentage goes down or goes up to leave an 1/8 of an inch?...Also, what is a good percentage to have compression at when trying to get a desirable playback when trying to get it to fit on 1 Disc?

I have a Sony DRU500AX DVD burner using Nero 5.5.10.54 and the Shrink Beta 2 release...I have to say the tips on this site have been excellent and it was quite easy to follow.

4. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

most dvd selling shops online will sell a batch of 6 or 7 brands of blank dvd for a pound each or so that could also help you figure out what brand your system prefers

5. UT_CK

UT_CK Member

Don't forget the other end of the equation, the standalone player. If your DVD plyer is not rated to play DVD-r.. then you will get the skips you are talking about. I've burnt many DVD's and I had some skipping on a specific older player or the cheaper ones..not rated to play DVD-R.. but it would play flawless on those rated to play DVD-R ...

Regards
    CK

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

aspire180,

Yep !

It depends on the DVD. If I want the extras, I'll make an exception, but for the most part, I re-author and backup just the movie - I don't worry about percentages - I also haven't had any DVD's that I've been unhappy with :))

Pete

DaOsT,

Trial and error is one way but, an educated person doesn't need to waste even a few bucks - using a superior dye application will be what we are looking for ;D

Pete

ut_ck,

So very true, you’d be surprised at how many people never even glance at their Mfgs, spec sheet but instead blame the software, burner or the media -

As for even the cheap standalones of today will play even a mini-pizza if the cheese isn't too runny :))

I just got one for $39.99 and it plays everything -

Pete

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1GB RAM.
    340GB HD, 7200 (Maxtor 120, Western 200 & 20.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, HP DVD Writer 200j,
    Nec 4X DVD RW ND-1300A & AXV CD/DVD-ROM.
    GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP sp1.[/small]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2004
  7. aspire180

aspire180 Regular member

Sorry Pete, forgive my ignorance but I didn't quite understand whether I should be moving the tab marker to the left (Decrease the percentage) or to the right (Increase the percentage)...I don't have grey as a color scheme, it's either green (Less than the 4.34 GB) or red (Greater than 4.34)...Any idea on what is recommended for percentages (Knowing that you haven't had an issue with them)...Thanks

8. Tapp

Tapp Guest

If I am reading the guide on this site correctly, green and red means that the movie wont fit on a single DVDr(w). Of course I have only tried DVD Shrink once and even then I sent the files to my hard drive and not burned them on a disk yet (was just practicing with the software). I haven't started reading up on splitting movies onto 2+ disks yet, but am getting there.

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

aspire180,

DVDShrink, Open it - analyze then - compress -

Sliding the slide to the left produces less red and more green, to continue to slide to the left some more will then produce Gray at the end of the Green.

On a big DVD, click Menus, Custom Ratio and slide all the way to the left - then click Extras, Custom Ratio, and slide all the way to the left, then click DVD, title 1, Custom Ratio and slide until a little Gray appears ;D

Pete

10. aspire180

aspire180 Regular member

Thanks, I will give it a shot...I have read on other sites that the compression percentage varies directly with the quality of the backup quality and that it is exactly the lower percentage that leads to freezes etc. on backup copies of DVDs...Also, I am getting my preview picture upside down in the bottom left corner...Any ideas?...Thanks

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Most of the discussions about compression are really more theoretical, in reality the difference can rarely be detected by the human eye -

By using my recommendations about adding a little gray you won't be writing to the very edge of the disc - writing to the edge and the use of cheap media are the main causes of stuttering and freezing - -
    (thinking about recommending a DVD Blanket for those cold DVD’s - LOL)

(You have no idea how much I am tempted to tell you to either turn the monitor over or to turn the DVD disc over - He, he, he )

See if the new version 3.1.6 Beta 2 has solved that -

Shrink download - http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_rippers/dvd_shrink.cfm

I'll send you my bill in the morning - LOL

Pete

12. aspire180

aspire180 Regular member

Hi

I downloaded the 3.1.6 Beta 2 version of Shrink and I still get the upside down preview in the bottom left corner...I don't get it...I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling but that doesn't seem to solve the problem...Something else I might be missing?...Thanks

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

aspire180,

I’m truly sorry, I've got not clue at all,
    we'll leave this open and perhaps someone else has an answer -

"P"

14. UT_CK

UT_CK Member

aspire180,

I've seen this before..it may have something to do with your player codec. Here's a link with a similar problem..using Media Player 4.. I also know of some people having problems with DIVx being upside down.

WARNING:.. IF there ar eno registry entries for DVDShrink..then don't go in there ..

Here's how they fixed it ...(a problem with Winnov)

In order to fix the video flip you will need to edit the registry. (make sure to log on as the user that will be using Winnov) First close any open applications associated with Winnov

1.Click the "Start" button ,select "Run" and type "regedit"
    2.Click the plus sign next to " HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    3.Scroll down the list to locate "Software" Click the plus sign next to "Software"
    4.Scroll down the list to locate "Winnov"
    5.Scroll down the list to locate "videum"
    6.Scroll down the list to locate "nsrex.exe0"
    7.Locate and double click on "vflip" and change the value to 0, if the DWORD "vflip" does not exist create a new DWORD named "vflip" and set the value to 0 6.
    8.Reboot, that should fix the inversion problem

If you're not afraid to go into your registry... then I'd take a peek and see what's there... I don't need to tell you to be careful in thar .. :)

What OS are you running.. and have you installed some other player codecs on your machine which may be interfering with the original codecs ?

When you've actually done the encoding...do your movies play right side up?

I'm not too sure how DVDShrink works.. (internally) ie: what it uses to show the video window preview.

If it worked with 3.15.. then it's not your codecs... and I'm also stumped... unless 3.16 has changed it's preview logistics

I get the impression that you've had this problem from the onset. It may be a codec problem.

Regards,
    CK

Last edited: Feb 20, 2004
  15. ohthepain

ohthepain Member

im getting a really strange problem using dvd-shrink. i hope its
    a n00b error because its pretty simply.

i am trying to back up a 7304MB dvd using DVD shrink 3.1. it loads,
    does its thing then makes a red bar up to 4552MB. i try to change ANY
    folder to be custom ratio, but the slider is already all the way
    to the left on ALL menus!! i tried typing a lower ratio, making
    custom size to 4200mb, deep alaysis, deleteing analysis files, reloading,
    reinstalling - but everthing makes the DVD shrink make this dvd into
    4552MB always...

is there a limit to shrinking? can i "reghack" this limit? i don't want
    to recompress AC3 to mp3 after shrinking to get that extra MB off
    because its a music dvd but that is all i can think to try...

what am i doing wrong? this is the first time i tried this hopefully
    great software but i get this problem. :( any help?

thank you!

16. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

ohthepain, (Hoping the pain isn't all that bad lol)

I suggest doing analysis, then *"Backup". re-open and click "Open Folder", find your folder, "let it do it's thing”, and now you should be able to compress it some more :)

HINT: *Before doing a Shrink "Backup", I create a folder on my Desktop named - "Desktop/All DVD Work/ Current Work" and use "Current Work" for my re-compression projects.
    The first folder - "All DVD Work" I have for my movie backups i.e. "All DVD Work/Star Trek" or "All DVD Work/ Pirates of the Caribbean " -

Pete

BTW - Welcome to the Neighborhood :)

17. ohthepain

ohthepain Member

thanks ScubaPete, wat a nice tip! worked like a voodoo charm. i admist, i thought recompressing 2x would be like saving a q=20% jpg 2x but that quality didnt suffer that much. at least 2nd time round i could just compress a few "not that good" sections that didnt matter too much and leave the rest as is. now i can officially say "wat a qool program!".

i still think its kinda strange that it does that (not let u compress more 1st time). anyone know the real reason why?

btw, u have a kick butt system man! i actually have one item the same - the video card. lol...

18. aspire180

aspire180 Regular member

Just thought I'd pass on my solution that I discovered on another website for the inverted picture preview problem.

Click 'Edit', select the 'Preferences' option, select the 'Preview' tab and then adjust the 'DirectX Video Renderer' to 'Overlay Mixer'...Snap, it worked like a charm...Cheers

19. ash64

ash64 Guest

Hello there.I'm new to DVD burning & i'm facing some problems that u can kindly solve.
    1- Back-up times exceed 2 hours with DVD Shrink 3.1.6b2 & most of the times my computer goes into tilt so i have to restart it.
    2- Burning times exceed 1:30 hours using Nero6.
    3- When i try to remove extra features to maintain the quality of main movie DVD Shrink keeps asking me about missing files.
    Thank u in advance for your help.

20. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

ash64,

Problems # 1. and # 2. - -> Shrink and Nero (for that matter most all rip and burn programs) require the maximum of your PC's resources. If you are working on your PC or have too much running in the background, your ripping, analysis, encoding, writing and burning will suffer.

So, off you should go to msconfig and shut all those "Bad Boys" down :)

Next time let's tell us what kind of system you have, software you're using etc so we have some idea as to what your norms should be -

Oh Yea, the next time you have a question, don't bury it in someone else’s thread, you might get noticed a bit faster - and remember this, we're all volunteers, we come here in what spare time we have to try to help others - learn patience, a lot of patience it'll stand you in good stead :)

Pete